I finally had to have .NET Framework for a new graphics card update and there was no way I could install it...just got all kinds of complicated error notifications.
The following is an edited copy of an email from Microsoft Support that solved my problem perfectly:
Thank you for contacting Microsoft Online Support Service. My name is Vivian, and I'm glad to work with you.
I apologize for the inconvenience which you have experienced. Please be assured that I will work closely with you on this issue.
The issue happens when .Net Framework component was damaged. Let us refer to the following steps to troubleshoot this issue:
Since there are .NET Framework 1.0 and .NET Framework 1.1) two versions which both provide the same functions, it is not necessary to install both of them. I suggest we install the latest version .NET Framework 1.1 and its Service Pack 1. If you have any concerns regarding this, please let me know.
1. Please download the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool from the following link:
2. Unzip the file and then double-click on the cleanup_tool.exe file to run the tool.
3. Select ".NET Framework - Both Versions" in the "Product to cleanup:" option.
4. Click the "Cleanup Now" button.
Note: The third-party products discussed above are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding the performance or reliability of these products.
After removing the previous .NET Framework installation, please download .NET Framework 1.1 and extract the executive file to install it. Here are the detailed steps:
1. Please download the Microsoft .NET Framework Version 1.1 Redistributable Package from the following link and save it to the C drive (C:\):
Microsoft .NET Framework Version 1.1 Redistributable Package
2. Click Start, click Run, type "C:\dotnetfx.exe /C" (without quotation marks and there is a space before "/C") in the open box and click OK.
3. Click Run, type "C:\DotNETFramework1.1" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.
Note: If you are prompted to create this folder, please click Yes to continue.
4. Locate the folder "C:\DotNETFramework1.1" and double click the "netfx.msi" file to install .NET Framework components.
Please download the .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 from the link below:
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1
Please double-click the NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe file to install .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1.
After installing .Net Framework 1.1 Service Pack, let us install KB886903 from the following link:
Please take your time trying the above suggestions. If there are any questions about any of the steps mentioned above, please do not hesitate to let me know.
It's my pleasure to be of assistance.
Microsoft Support Professional
Pint-size luxury and funky style
Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.