General discussion

FYI: A Look Inside Windows 8.1

For Windows 8.1, a half-step toward a Start button

May 30, 2013

"Microsoft lays out a series of new features and functions for the update to the 7-month-old operating system, including something insiders are calling a "Start tip" that gets users back to their PC Start screen."

When Microsoft rolls out Windows 8.1, the update to its struggling, 7-month-old operating system franchise, the company will not be bringing back the Start button as many users have been requesting.

But the company has acquiesced some. The company announced this morning that it will introduce something that a person close to Windows engineering is calling a "Start tip" that users can click on to go back to the Start screen in Windows 8.1. The "tip" is a Windows logo that that sits on the left hand side of the toolbar when Windows 8 users are working in the traditional desktop mode. When they are using the touch-focused tile-based interface, users will have to hover over the lower left corner for the "tip" to pop up.

What's new in Windows 8.1 (pictures)

But clicking on the "tip" won't launch the familiar menus that the Start button did in previous versions of Windows. Instead, it will take users to their Start screen. With Windows 8.1, users can customize that Start screen to replicate something close to the old Start menus, listing all of the applications that are available to them, if they want.

It's unclear if the Start tip will be enough to quiet critics who are clamoring for the ease of use that comes with familiarity. The Start tip is a bit of a half-step toward a Start button. Microsoft seems to be giving a nod to its critics but not quite giving them all they had wanted.

Earlier this month, Tami Reller, the chief marketing officer and chief financial officer of the Windows division, told ZDNet's Mary Jo Foley that the company is being "principled, not stubborn" about modifying Windows 8 based on user feedback.

One area where Microsoft will give traditionalists what they've sought is the ability to have their computers boot directly to the familiar desktop mode. Windows 8 computers automatically boot to the tile-based interface, requiring users to take an extra step to get to the old desktop. With Windows 8.1, they can choose to set the default to boot directly to the desktop mode.

Continued : http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57586786-75/for-windows-8.1-a-half-step-toward-a-start-button/

From Microsoft @ their "Blogging Windows": Continuing the Windows 8 vision with Windows 8.1

Elsewhere:
Inside Windows 8.1: Revamped search, boot to desktop, Start button, UI tweaks and feature upgrades
Here's Your First Look at Windows 8.1
Microsoft Provides a "First Look" at Windows 8.1

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: FYI: A Look Inside Windows 8.1
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: FYI: A Look Inside Windows 8.1
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
It sounds like the Start button is

just there to switch back to the start screen from the desktop instead of having to point to the left bottom corner to get back to the start screen. But I've read that you can configure the start screen to show the All Apps screen instead of the tiles. Which means it will display both Metro and desktop shortcuts to execute. Currently the desktop is a Metro app and the user can click on that and launch the app from the desktop by either a shortcut on the desktop or pinned to the taskbar or just click on the app on the start screen and the app desktop will pop up running that app. I myself almost always work in the desktop because i have all the apps i use with shortcuts on the desktop.

I use my Windows 8 pc to connect to my pc at work and to do that i need to run Juno (to connect to my work network) which I usually run by clicking on start screen and theni use the Metro app Remote Desktop to connect to my work computer which is running XP.

- Collapse -
Apps, Tiles, and Shortcuts Oh My!

I completely understood your explanation of the various step you have to take to achieve a task. Do you not find it odd that it requires so many steps to complete a task when all of the software comes from the same company?
I run a number of computers at the same time. That is how I had the opportunity to allow myself to let one of them play around with Windows 8. It had no sense of belonging. It really had the feel of being a flashy toy for a smartphone or a tablet. It took me a while to learn to navigate Windows 8, the more familiar I became with it, the more alien it felt among my other computers chugging away with Windows 7 and Windows XP who could work together like symbiotic twins. There are no go here, there, and everywhere tiles to find, and click. No programs to activate, and no apps. Just a click of a shortcut and I am into any of my computers from any of my other computers.
I am not a technical person. I simply accomplished this by someone who had the grace to explain how to do it in terms I can understand. I am highly capable of following instructions. Also, I do not wish to be entertained by sliding things across my screen. It is all very attractive and flashy, but such novelty wears thin after awhile, and I will always seek to tone down my environment to neutral greys and blues.
I only have a handful of shortcuts on my desktop, others I prefer to access from programs pinned to my Start Menu. The lesser used programs are easy enough to find in the All Programs list.
As anyone, I set my computers up in zones of comfort and priority. The only thing I miss about XP was the excellent search parameters. Windows 7 have them, but not nearly as comfortable to navigate. Windows 8 is a nightmare for tying to find anything.

- Collapse -
just report them

so it doesn't mess the Recents even more.

- Collapse -
How Windows 8.1 upgrades will get to you

June 5, 2013

With the public preview builds of Windows 8.1 due out later this month, a number of users are wondering how Microsoft plans to handle the upgrade.

At TechEd North America, officials shared some details on that topic in a session entitled "Windows RT in the Enterprise."

Microsoft officials have said previously that the company plans to deliver the public preview of Windows 8.1, codenamed "Blue," via the Windows Store on June 26.

Microsoft Senior Product Marketing Manager Michael Niehaus reiterated that message in the RT in the Enterprise session on Tuesday. When the 8.1 preview is available, Windows 8 and Windows RT users will receive a Windows Update notification. That update will trigger the new bits to show up in the Windows Store, where potential testers will be able to read the description and choose whether or not to install.

Once the final versions of Windows 8.1 are available, after their release to manufacturing, those who have downloaded the preview will get the same Windows Update plus Windows Store notification. While their data and accounts will be preserved if and when they choose to install the free, final 8.1 release, all their apps must be reinstalled, Niehaus said.

Even if testers opt instead to roll their devices back to Windows 8 after installing the preview bits, they still will have to reinstall their apps once they move to the RTM version of Windows 8.1.

Continued : http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57587794-75/how-windows-8.1-upgrades-will-get-to-you/

NOTE: At ZDNet where this story originally appeared ( "Microsoft goes public with Windows 8.1 upgrade policies ) Mary Jo Foley updated the piece to add:

"For those wondering exactly which apps will need to be reinstalled, it depends whether the tester is running Windows on ARM or x86. On Windows RT devices, it's the Windows Store/Metro-Style apps that will have to be reinstalled; for x86-based Windows 8 systems, testers will need to reinstall both their Windows Store/Metro-Style and Desktop apps, a Microsoft spokesperson said."

- Collapse -
Train wreck may be too mild a description

I've seen Bob describe Windows 8 as a train wreck, but after reading that 8.1 will require reinstalling both Metro and desktop apps, I think massive earthquake might be a better description. Sad I used to be a big fan of MS, but that has sure changed in the last 18 months. From reading the MS Windows 8.1, I gather that they're putting back a start button without a start menu. What kind of lunacy is that? The blog is at
<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2013/05/30/continuing-the-windows-8-vision-with-windows-8-1.aspx#pi4954=1 for anyone interested.
<div>
</div>

- Collapse -
Windows 8.1

I wonder why so many want to go back to yesteryear, rather than embrace the futher and learn rhe program. Once familiar it works great and it is much qicker yhan oher windows OS.

- Collapse -
Window 8.1

Let me ask. Did you purchase Windows 8 separately and install it on your current computer? Or did you purchase a new computer with Windows 8 already installed on it?
As I had said in other remarks I have made, it is not a case of going back to yesteryear, it is simply a case of taking away our comfort zone. It is the situation that there are generations of consumers out there that are not going to appreciate so many changes. The computers they have already do more than they have ever dreamed of. Do you think it is only technically and logically wired people that own and operate computers? If you believe that, then you are dead wrong. Computers are selling more today, to new buyers than almost any time in history. These people are not gamers, they don't care about the wow factor. They want to communicate with friends and family. They want to do their banking and pay their bills online, they want to shop online and look for information. They want it done fast, safe, and reliable. They do not want to hear about dual core, quad core, or who makes the best CPU. These people started the purchase trend when XP was the current OS and rightfully so because word of mouth convinced the layperson that it was a OS that was user friendly and had few problems. Then the Vista scare, came then people relaxed with Windows 7. I am simply saying, the environment for the majority of such consumers do not have smart phones, or super phones or any other device that would use this technology. They don't want them, and they don't wish to have it on their computers either.
I do not have any qualms with you loving Windows 8. Only the comment.
Was it not Adolf Hitler that said "Get with the program and embrace the future."?

- Collapse -
Windows 8 tiles

I don't understand all the dislikes (I suspect this is from the Hate anything Microsoft crowd.) When you open a tiled program it goes to the old start screen then loads the program, except IE which opens directly. Programs written for Windows 8, opens from the tiles.

Your smart phone uses tiles. Are you upset by this as well?

- Collapse -
Windows 8 tiles

I am do not have a problem with Windows 8, it has it's place and it is suited for such devices that employ a touch screen. Nor do I hate Microsoft. I am simply annoyed by some of the directions, choices, and tendency to bully consumers into programs that they are not comfortable with or dislike. You are certainly entitled to your opinions and feelings. I on the other hand must carry the burden of millions of consumers on my back, for which I do not get paid for, but I advocate for because I listen to their concerns. If I take my concerns directly to Microsoft, they are either evasive or treat me with scorn, as I suppose they should because profits come first.
You see, Steve Ballmer is not the man of compassion or benevolence that his long time friend Bill Gates is. He runs Microsoft on a completely different agenda. Look it up for yourself if you are wary of what I say.
Either Microsoft creates another OS specifically for desktop and laptop more in the vein of Windows 7 and give it another name so they can continue to appease the touch screen affection, or they are going to simply lose a large percentage of their customer base.
Now, what does that spell out for those dedicated to Microsoft. It is simple, if there is less consumers buying the product, then to satisfy the needs to Microsoft, costs of product will multiply.
It fails me that they can not maintain two Operating Systems in support of the needs of different types of products. Desktop/laptop vs touch screen devices.
It is ludicrous idealism. "We have only one Operating System. Take it, you have no choice. Your old one will be assimilated and no longer supported." Does that not sound like a nightmare from an episode of Star Trek? Okay, yes, I did make that one up for some comic relief, but it is no less poignant.

- Collapse -
Windows 8 tiles

Windows 8 is good operating system but i has some problem of tiled .

- Collapse -
Embrace the future?

When the future is merely "different" why embrace it. When it is functionally retrograde run from it!
I have used or been aware of many PCs since the TRS80 (still in my attic) and win 8 seems to be mainly for show when used on a dual screen PC. It is also functionally lacking in many well documented ways!

- Collapse -
Windows 8

I have already get disgusted by windows 8 and I going to set up windows 7 again. I dont prefer to use the updated version anymore.

- Collapse -
Windows 8.1 Start button demonstrated fully in new video
Windows 8.1 Start button demonstrated fully in new video

Microsoft demonstrated a number of new features in Windows 8.1 earlier this week, but the company briefly showed the return of the Start button and avoided any details on how it visually works. During Computex this week the company took the time to show the Start button fully.

In the video below you can see how Microsoft is adding options to show the All Apps view when the Start button is activated. The animation of the Start button switching between the desktop and Start Screen is clearly shown too with the new support for desktop wallpapers on the Start Screen. Microsoft will deliver a preview version of Windows 8.1 on June 26th.

[VIDEO]

http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/6/4403628/windows-8-1-start-button-demo-video

Also @ TNW: The Windows 8.1 Start Button has finally been caught on video
- Collapse -

Funny thing happened to me whilst servicing (Mapping really lol) my Wife's brand new Windows 8 based gaming PC. At 1 point, I ran "Advanced System Care" and included all areas within the novice area for once (Repair shortcuts etc) and when it had finished -HEY PRESTO! - Start button the lot!

I checked with a 3rd party systems report ("Belarv Advisor") and found that 8.1 had arrived. NOW I can do just about everything I could in Vista and XP (Avoided 7 as it was an obvious prep for 8!). Now I can work on the system without all the Bill Gates' pretty pretty stuff and the machine is MUCH faster than the shop stock version 8. N.B. I can also return all the pretties with 2 clicks.

- Collapse -
7 a prep for 8?

I have no idea who whispered in your ear. Windows 7 was not a prep for Windows 8. Windows 7 is the end of an era. It is the fruition of the long planned Longhorn OS. The nightmare that Vista was, simply appeared because those who be at Microsoft felt they needed to release something quick. So they diverted a group from the Longhorn project and used bits and pieces plus other strange materials and cobbled together Vista. A complete marketing snafu. This did have one advantage, it gave the original Longhorn team to smooth out the rough edges and put a much cleaner Windows 7 OS for a debut which had not happened since Windows 95.
Then the those who be at Microsoft decide that they must get ahead of the game by designing for the touch screen future as if it were going to dominate the world in an instant flash. This, is wrong. My trust in Microsoft weakens constantly. Another error was purchasing Skype and then dumping its own messenger service.
Lack of research on their behalf. Did they not know there are multimillions of people who have used Skype then dumped it because of the problems it has? Sure it has the VOIP ability, and I am sure that is why Microsoft bought it so they could profit from it. Let's be serious about this. I can call around the world for far less money on my cellphone than I can with Skype. Also, anyone I care about already has a computer, and communication through a messenger has always been free. I do not wish to pay to be a premium Skype member. I do not care for Skype in the first place. As soon as I have contacted all of the people on my contact list and worked out another messenger service I will close Skype permanently.
Microsoft does always keep a tiny bit of something familiar with each Operating System from previous versions, but never enough to give it that comfort zone.
In that regard, Windows 8 is so alien to Windows 7 it has the feeling on an extraterrestrial invasion to your senses.
I won't say I am sorry that you did not give Windows 7 a chance. I had the same feelings when I had Windows XP streamlined and customized to my will, then Vista came about. I bought a laptop with Vista, and never experience so much grief in years. I gave it about six months allowing updates and hoping for improvement, nothing satisfying came. I removed Vista and replaced it with my own registered copy of XP. I was pleased until it was time to purchase another laptop. That time Windows 7 was out and the reports were so positive I felt more confident. It paid off. Windows 7 is great, I have been able to streamline it and modify to suit my needs where Vista had these annoying pop ups that kept asking me where certain thing that should have been there were hiding.
Yes, Microsoft may be the creators and distributors of the software, but as soon as I make purchase of a license, that individual piece of software becomes my property. I have every right to modify it and arrange it to suit how it should respond to my needs and taste as long as I do not attempt to resell it or redistribute without permission. Which, I obey.
Yet when I contact Microsoft and inform them that they have redundant software and they could improve on it they ask how. I have let their software technicians take a look at improvements I made over the years. As I said I am not a technical person, but I think through what is logical and practical. They are aghast because of the amount of original programs and useless things that I have removed from the Operating System. They tell me that I can not do that and insist I replace it immediately. I refuse, thus probably I am public enemy #1 to Microsoft. Which in a way, saddens me as I have great respect for Bill Gates, but although he still owns the company, he has stepped down from running it. No one should appeal to him. He has done all he could and deserves the retirement and the right to maintain his humanitarian passions. He is smart, and will likely live to a ripe old age. Does not mean I have to respect the horde that took over his duties, because there was not really one man who could replace him. Now it is just a bunch that wish to stay on top of the heap, full steam ahead, damn the torpedoes.

- Collapse -
Development of Vista started in 2001

and VIsta went to RTM in November 2006. The development time for Vista was way longer then Windows 7 (around 3 years). The problem with Vista was the issue with XP security and they took developers off the Vista project to address those issues and in 2004 SP2 was released for XP. Windows 8 development started in 2009 when Windows 7 was shipped.

- Collapse -
How principled is Microsoft?

I have a sense of humor, truly I do. Yet saying that they are not stubborn is like rewriting the non existent book, how to lose friends and not influence others. Microsoft is going on the assumption that everyone who does not own a Mac computer will be operating a tablet type device within months.
Look, Windows 8 is attractive and practical for such touch devices, but is just a complete frustrating piece of nuisance for the mass majority of people who like sitting back with large screens and a keyboard in their lap. Even myself who is a laptop junkie do not want a touch screen laptop. There is no such thing as a self cleaning screen. Forget the constant fingerprints, I freak when there is a mote of dust invading my viewing pleasure.
Let's be realistic, go ahead and start reading reviews of computers that consumers are buying and the number one complaint is Windows 8. Microsoft won't give in and allow the option of two Operating Systems to coexist under their banner for any length of time. So, what are people doing? Switching to Linux. I am still happy enough with Windows 7, but I am itching for a new laptop, so I am at a point of indecision. Yes, I have played around with Windows 8 and I am not thrilled. It works fine on my superphone, but I really don't like the way phones are going anyway. I just need something to make calls. Toys are fun, but they lose their novelty soon enough, not to mention the downgrade in visual screen size, the audio, the not so great streaming that they seem to call lightning fast. None of it compares to a juiced up desktop or a state of the art laptop. If I have to go back to desktops, I am strongly considering the rebirth of Commodore computers which are Linux base and coexists with Commodore's old retro Operating System. Still waiting for the Amiga mini to drop a little in price.
I am just getting numb from Microsoft's attitude in general. They are just taking the fun out of everything that I have enjoyed about computers since the 70s.

- Collapse -
I agree w/you - download Classic Start - you'll like it

I agree with you 100% about the MS attitude. Personally I think their CEO has no clue. Trying to make laptops & desktops work like smart phones makes about as much sense as trying to make a toilet and a dishwasher work the same.
Re Windows 8 though, fortunately there's a FREE 3rd party program, Classic Start, that makes Windows 8 look and feel pretty much like Windows 7. You can download it from http://www.classicshell.net/ .

- Collapse -
Classic Start

Thank you for informing me about Classic Shell. I probably should have discovered it on my own but, as I said, I never left Windows 8 on any of my computers of devices long enough to over come my pleasures for what Windows 8 offered in a touch screen environment for those on the go, and my frustration for those millions of people who are happy with keyboards, a mouse, or a touch pad.
I will buy a new laptop, and get Classic Shell and test it vigorously.
I am a consumer advocate. I do not work from any site. Yes, there is logical reasoning behind such a notion. That way, I can not be bought, coerced, or manipulated by biased small talk. I have a professional background in Psychology (retired) and I am well educated in Economics and Political Sciences.
I have little patience for technical jargon as I believe that most places on the internet should be able to respect and treat the layperson with kindness. They are the consumers. They are the people I speak for and whom I speak to. If they are treated badly. They will in turn go elsewhere to seek help and assistance.
I joined this site to make sure such answers are given. Your answer is a perfect example of a what people like to hear. Polite, supportive, and a suggestion that was easy to follow and a promise to a solution that bothers many consumers.

Thank you.

- Collapse -
Another download I found - The Prompt

I've used classic shell since Win 8 first came out and it's worked well. Lately, I've moved to The Prompt. One thing to note though, currently you can't have The Prompt and classic shell installed at the same time, otherwise when you launch The Prompt on top of Windows 8 metro it ends up launching classic shell instead (weird).. one of the best features of The Prompt is that it hovers on top of Metro when you want it to, so I ended up uninstalling classic shell. Here is a link for it http://theprompt.com/

- Collapse -
Just tested it again..

I just went and installed classic shell again and it seems to not cause any problems for The Prompt anymore. So it looks like you can have both on the same computer if you want now. Oh one thing, I never watch the tour when I install software (lazy) so I didn't know the launch hot-key for The Prompt, it's ctrl+space but can be changed to whatever you want.

- Collapse -
Nod to Classic Start.

As to principles, that's a well worn subject. MSFT's view is clearly "good enough" versus "better than average" or "it just works."

But as to Windows 8 there are a pair of fellows that dragged MSFT forward to an OS that looks to be better suited to the future. Along the way they deprecated a lot of baggage. For me it's been a good thing and while I wish they had snapped up Classic Start to save their sales and stock price, a savvy user would just install that if they wanted.
Bob

- Collapse -
"How principled is Microsoft? "

I agree scratchmb. I've "Played" with touch screen tech and have found NO advantage with the system. However, the main chaos factor is having to buy more screen cleaner!

- Collapse -
How principled is Microsoft?

Don't I know it. I am burdened with having to wear eyeglasses. Optical surgery is not an option. I can wear contact lenses, but still, reading a monitor requires added reading glasses. So I am better off wearing my progressive lens glasses. Since I have worn glasses all of my life, one of the hang ups we of the bespectacled society are baffled by is that we all claim that we slide our glasses up and down our nose with either the center nose bridge or lift with one of the arms. So how do these magical fingerprints appear?
Truth is we touch the lenses when we get subconscious itches and twitches around the eye and equally without thinking use our fingers to wipe them away. Our subconscious does not recognize the lens that is in the way.
Point is we are furiously cleaning our glasses and by nature become obsessed by the cleanliness and clarity of our screens. So, this is really why touch screen devices are equally annoying. Also, they do not take in consideration that chemically some people are different, and that the response to a touch screen can vary. Multiple tapping and going to places I did not intend is not what I consider user friendly.
My cellphone company was surprised when after I wrote my last communication I went back to my dealer and told him I no longer wanted my super phone, and asked for a simple phone with a slide out keypad. No touch screen. They said that it would not change my contract, I told them I was aware of such. Just sell me the phone and transfer my number to it. They told me to keep the super phone because I was technically paying for it with my contract, and simply gave me another phone, it wasn't new, it was a factory reconditioned model that they use as a promotional give away for family contracts.
It is not my intention to stop the growth of technology, it is my intention to allow what is practical for the masses to keep what is comfortable for them and for those who love the toys keep doing as they please. What is the harm in keeping a classic and improving on it? It gives consumers a sense of familiarity and with that familiar feeling comes trust. How can anyone trust a company that keeps robbing them of their comfort zone?
For example: Everyone has a favorite restaurant. They go there because they like the owners, the staff, the style of food they serve. Everyone knows that through the years the prices increase, some things on the menu change or are added, but you remain faithful to that restaurant because of it's loyalty and customer service it gives you in return. It is a comfort zone. Then the owners retire, they didn't have children to take up the business, and it falls into the hands of new owners. It closes for renovations. When it opens you, out of curiosity go to check it out. It is too bright, too flashy, the waitress flies by saying she'll be with you in a moment, doesn't happen and finally another waitress shows up and asks if you have been served, you look around and see the first waitress holding a coffee pot in a limp wrist, chewing gum, talking to some of her peers sitting in a booth that have nothing before them. No, a menu please. She returns with a menu and you are overwhelmed by the unfamiliar selection and outlandishly high prices. Still, you are determined to give it a go. You order a choice that you know what it is, after all, you have eaten out in other restaurants beside your favorite. You ask the waitress that you would rather have rice than potato, and she says that they do not do substitutes and you would have to pay extra. Fine, you still have the rice.
The food comes, no rice, and the potato is sitting there. You can't get the attention of the waitress, or any waitress. You go the front and ask for the manager. Some young upstart comes out and asks me what the problem is. He says he is sorry to hear that and he will look after it personally and returns with you to your table. He removes your plate, comes back after awhile with your plate with the rice, but your entree is now cold. You just eat it because you just want to get out. Manager comes by and says that he will deduct 15% from your bill. You say, don't bother, You'll pay the full price and not just tip the waitress.
You have lost your comfort zone, you will never return to that restaurant again. You now must seek a new favorite restaurant, likely you probably have one in mind because as the one discussed was your most favorite, certainly you must have a second most favorite restaurant.
Consumers feel the same for just about anything.

- Collapse -
Error when installing windows 8 "Something Happened" We cant

I get an errorwhen installing Windows 8
"Something Happened"
"We cant tell if your PC is ready to continue installing Windows 8. Try restarting setup"

This is really frustrating, has taken half my day. Show me What Happen,

- Collapse -
Just a tip.

If you need to find help, always put your plea for help in a new discussion in an active forum. For Windows 8 the CNET Windows 8 forum is good with the CNET Computer Help being very active.

Hiding a plea for help here may not get the response you desire.
Bob

- Collapse -
Something Happened

I would have to assume that you have made inquiries already to Microsoft and found that trying to navigate around their various help sites in like a maze with booby traps, that keep referring you to links which eventually cause you to end up on the same page you started your inquiry.
So, problem solving. Again, I have to assume that did not purchase a computer that had Windows 8 already on it. So, the next question is whether you are using a store bought version, an OEM version, or a pirated copy with a possible valid registration number or a very good code generator.
Let's start with the later, not a good idea. A lot of new computers built in software now come with detection systems for pirated Operating Systems.
Store bought and OEM versions should be no problem as long as you received them sealed and unopened.
The next question is whether or not you are attempting to run more than one OS on your computer.
This is where you have to make sure you partition your drives properly, and make sure your boot sequence knows where to go.
The best way to do this is by using an external drive, completely set it up an independent OS but keep in mind that you will be running a dual system, so you will need the computer's software on that external drive as well.
Yes, you can set it up to share or use one as a remote, but trust me, it is slow and cumbersome and often gets confused looking for .msi files and such. Don't fuss about space. Cost of terabyte spin drives are rapidly coming down as the long awaited large capacity but much more expensive solid state drives hit the market.
Another case of way less cost to manufacture, far less to break down or wear out, less heat generated, and environmentally friendly, so as consumers we have to pay through the nose for a decade or so while we get spin drives and add more junk to pile.
Anyway, other reasons of not being able to load an OS is that your hard drive has not been properly wiped and formatted. There are utilities out there that will check your hard drive after you have wiped it to see if there is any residual material or physical errors which would lead you to replace the drive. You would not have noticed it before, because at some point when you defragged your drive, that area was written off and bypassed. If it is just residual material. Find a better utility to wipe your hard drive.
Now, the reason that I have not recommended any utilities or software is that will only start a whole new set of rants about opinions of how miserable my choices are and how superior others are.
It is not my wish to get into such a, well you know, match.

Scratch

- Collapse -
Restore Windows 8 without CD or password

No CD, forgot your password, no problem

Restore Windows 8 without CD or password

1- Hold the shift key down, tab on the windows key while you click on the restart icon
2- you will get blue screen with three options, choose the troubleshooting option.
3- Choose reset your PC
4- Pick the full restore option. Caution: Your data will be erased

- Collapse -
Disappointed in MS Once again

I was a Windows user for years; I loved my PC even when I had Widows Millennium. It had some bugs but I still liked the ease of using it. Another family member had 2000 and I could Fix or update items with ease.

I eventually upgrade to Windows XP and was blown away by the interface and the ease of use in updating and working with my apps and other items.

Then it happened, Service pack 2 came out. I could not wait I just new that MS was going to increase functionality and some bells and whistles so I jump in: with no life preserver, no land in site and barely new how to swim thinking the operating system would just take CARE of itself.

Then all things started to go wrong. To make a long story short I became an Apple user and have had a Mac for about 5 years.

I am a web developer and I need to test my work on all platforms but to avoid having to work with MS Windows I utilized items like Browser Stack and other Browser testing software.

Then I began looking at the reviews on Windows 8, they were great and I decided to pick up a Windows 8 PC. I got the Gateway All-in-one. It was beautiful I contacted my brother a fellow Mac user and told him how awesome Windows 8 was and that he needed to pick up a machine and just try it, he is considering this now.

BUT I WILL TELL HIM DONT DO IT NOW

THE NEW WINDOWS 8.1 ONE CAME OUT AND ONCE AGAIN I JUMPED IN WITHOUT A LIFE PRESERVER AND NO LAND IN SITE, BIG MISTAKE.

MY WINDOWS MACHINE IS NOW ALL MESSED UP, FIRST I HAD NO SOUND AND HAD TO UPDATE A DRIVER. NOW THE MACHINE RUNS SO SLOW AND HAS SO MANY BUGS THAT I DREAD TO EVEN TURN IT ON.

THE WORST PART IS THEY DID NOT LEAVE AN OPTION TO RETURTN TO THE ORIGINAL WINDOWS 8. ITS LIKE SOMEONE TIED BRICKS TO MY FEET AND NOW I JUST SINKING WITH NO WAY TO GET BACK TO THE SURFACE (PUN INTENDED).

MICROSOFT WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!!!!! YOU HAVE THE FUNDS, THE PERSONEL, THE EQUIPMENT AND THE RESOURCES TO BE THE BEST PC COMPANY IN THE BUSINESS AND YOU CONTINUE TO SEND OUT, UNTESTED PRODUCT.

IF JUST ONE OF YOUR TECHS WOULD HAVE DOWNLOADED AND TESTED THE 8.1 UPDATE YOU WOULD HAVE NOTICED ALL THE BUGS AND CORRECTED IT BEFORE YOU LAUNCHED IT.

SAME OLD MICROSOFT, NOTHING HAS CHANGED. YEAH YOU'RE PRETTY ON THE OUTSIDE BUT YOU STILL WORK UNDER THE SAME FRAMEWORK. SENDING OUT PRODUCTS BEFORE AMPLE TESTING IS COMPLETED.

YOU WANT TO MAKE THIS RIGHT... CREATE AN UPDATE THAT WILL ALLOW THOSE WHO WANT TO RETURN TO THE ORIGINAL WINDOWS 8 CAN DO SO. TO NOT INCLUDE THIS OPTION IN 2014 WAS JUST LAZY AND THAT'S THE ONLY WAY IT CAN BE SUMMED UP.

VERY!!, VERY!!, VERY!!, VERY!! DISAPPOINTED.

ILL BE RETURNING TO MY MAC NOW AND BROWSER TESTING WITH SOFTWARE AND RECOMMENDING TO OTHERS THAT THEY AVOID MS WINDOWS IF POSSIBLE.

- Collapse -
About htc mobile

which is the best htc mobile.

CNET Forums

Forum Info