General discussion

FWIW...More Chick-Fil-A

Restaurant caves on gay rights issues

Actually, they're not backing down but reviewing their supported organizations and withdrawing it for those that engage in political activity. I'm entirely in favor of that decision. Their primary support was for organizations that provided marriage and family counseling or offered activities that strengthen these same functions. To me that's an honorable endeavor and, to my knowledge, not a political football. I imagine this part of their efforts will continue but will drop the organizations who add political lobbying to their work.

As a sideline remark, Planned Parenthood is another organization that offers multiple services but their primary focus is birth control and elective abortions. No one has a problem with them doing cancer screenings as that's not a political football. BC and abortions are and Planned Parenthood is heavy into politics. I'd not mind at all if other organizations, states, etc., followed suit with Chick-Fil-A and did the same with PP.
Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: FWIW...More Chick-Fil-A
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: FWIW...More Chick-Fil-A
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Elective abortions are not a primary function of PP.....

.....as came out when that Congressman claimed they represented 90% of their budget or something, then admitted he lied (it was closer to 3% I believe).

That aside, I think one big difference is that people who contribute to Planned Parenthood and/or take advantage of their services know where there money is going. People going into Chick-Fil-A probably didn't before this story broke.

- Collapse -
Actually, I was thinking of the political commercials

claiming that Romney was wanting to deny women access to cancer screenings. That reference is to his wanting to end support for Planned Parenthood. Cancer screenings are only a small part of services offered and, if you look it up, you'll find that they don't routinely offer mammograms at any of their facilities. They were to receive some money from Komen for mobile units but they were only offering manual exams...something women can be taught to do themselves. More:

http://www.lifenews.com/2012/05/28/no-planned-parenthood-centers-operate-mammogram-machines/

Their political ads were quite misleading as their founding purpose had nothing to do with having children but finding ways to avoid or delay having children...including having them terminated before birth. That's not deniable.

So Chick-Fil-A was supporting organizations that lobbied against gay marriage? How about some said to be supporting Planned Parenthood:

http://www.newsinfaith.com/?p=1262

If Chick-Fil-A did the right thing by dropping organizations with political agendas, shouldn't those happy with their decision be just as happy to see the above list of companies follow suit?

- Collapse -
Corporate donors are harder to keep up with

Here's one good example -- several of the same corporations helped sponsor both the Democratic and Republican conventions this year. So no matter which side you're on, you have a beef.

Then you also get into the issue of companies that are subsidiaries of other companies -- for example do you stop buying Reynolds Wrap because their parent is a tobacco company?

I do make some effort to be aware of who is supporting what. For example, I was looking for online backup services awhile back, and one was getting pretty good reviews. Further reading revealed that they were a major sponsor of the Rush Limbaugh show. I went with someone else. (That company has since dropped their advertising on his program.)

I think it's more clear-cut when it's a store you can walk into and buy something, and then choose not to because of an objection you have to what they do with their profits.

The last time I was looking for work, my recruiters asked if I had any ethical/political objections before they began a job search for me. I gave them a quick list.

- Collapse -
No argument there

and why I think it's rather ridiculous to try and base one's patronage on something political. Chick-Fil-A didn't need to do what they did, IMO, but trying to divorce themselves from politics altogether wasn't a bad idea.

- Collapse -
I had lunch at Chick-Fil-A today.

Business was slower than usual today.

When they came out against gay rights, their business doubled for one month.

I'm sure there is a message there somewhere.

- Collapse -
(NT) Could be the day of the week/time of day you were there
- Collapse -
Their presence is mostly in "red" states....

....so it's not surprising that they would have a lot of support for their anti-gay stance.

- Collapse -
Wow! You're right
- Collapse -
I did say "mostly"

The map bears that out if you look at how many franchises there are in each state.

- Collapse -
Josh...it's not a political map

using red, blue and shades of them. Chick-Fil-A just chose that color to highlight all states in which they had a presence. The rest are some gray shade and not blue. I just thought it was humorous next to your post. Of course there could be some subliminal message maybe? Nah

- Collapse -
Yes, I know that

I also know (roughly) which of those states are "red" or "blue" politically. Look at the number of franchises in Texas, for example, then look at the number in New York.

- Collapse -
They were founded in 1946

I sincerely doubt that company and franchise establishment sites have been selected by any sort of political criteria. They'll be selected by where their menu would have appeal and wouldn't be crushed by competition offering similar fare. It's only been recently that some places have tried to shut them out over something political. Of course I'm not telling you anything you don't know.

- Collapse -
Not saying they planned it

Just saying that's how it happens to be. Therefore it stands to reason that a large percentage of their regular customers likely share their views about homosexuality.

- Collapse -
Well, I've yet to eat there but if you're certain

that, if I go there I should be prepared to hear a lot of conversation about homosexuality from the neighboring tables, I won't set foot in the place. Wink

CNET Forums