HolidayBuyer's Guide

Laptops forum

General discussion

Futuretop CommandTop... anyone have one?

by Shiningblade / October 10, 2005 2:44 AM PDT

Does anyone have a laptop known as the commandtop, from a company called "FutureTop", an affiliate from Hybridgear? the website: www.futuretop.net

or www.hybridgear.net

i want to buy a command top with the most top of the line equipment in it, its gonna be like $4207 but shouyld be worth it. anyone ever buy from this company? if so what do you think?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Futuretop CommandTop... anyone have one?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Futuretop CommandTop... anyone have one?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can you afford it?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2005 3:22 AM PDT

Or more bluntly, can you afford a no-name with no visible history, spare parts or support? That is, can you afford to buy a name laptop when you have an issue?

Bob

Collapse -
why would i be asking then?
by Shiningblade / October 12, 2005 12:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Can you afford it?

I wouldnt be askign if i couldnt afford it. i can very well afford it. these guys have more than what i want in my laptop, for prices cheaper than alienware. i can only get a max of 3 gigs of ram in an alienware, but i can get 4 gigs in a futuretop. i can also have a tv tuner with 4 gigs, but in an alienware, i can only have 2 gigs with a tv tuner. im trying to get EVERYTHING.

so the original question is:

has anyone ever bought from hybridgear/futuretop?

if so, how is the product? any problems?

Collapse -
Wow, did you catch the crash and burn of...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 12, 2005 10:15 PM PDT

Alienware. Customers with broken laptops, no spares?

-> Talk about a disaster. Be sure you have the bucks to get a new and namebrand laptop if this one suffers the same fate.

If past Futureshop performances on repair/warranty are any guide to the future why would anyone buy this unit?

Bob

Collapse -
could anyone give me a real answer?
by Shiningblade / October 15, 2005 1:10 PM PDT

Ok. i asked if anyoen bought a futuretop commandtop laptop from hybridgear/futuretop. i didnt ask about alienware, and weather i can afford it or not is not your bussiness. someone please simply answer the question!

by the way, the last person who responded.... i didnt really understand your post.

Collapse -
My advice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 15, 2005 2:05 PM PDT

Don't do this. I know the history and you can ignore it at your peril.

Bob

Collapse -
FutureTop CommandTop
by Bud91910 / October 29, 2005 10:10 AM PDT

I am in the process of purchasing a CommandTop. I have looked high and low for a machine that is completely upgradeable by the user. I have a friend that has one and it is a kick *** machine, high speed with beautiful graphics. Gameing is a blast and yet you can use it for work or just whatever. The best bang for the buck out there. They have a great warranty and wholesale on any parts to be upgraded down the road, and they buy back your old parts.

Google has a special with FutureTop and you can get one hell-of-a-deal and one kick *** machine with what ever you want. Don't be afraid to buy one if you can afford it. But remember if you do, you'll be King of the block.

Collapse -
THANKYOU!
by Shiningblade / November 8, 2005 8:07 AM PST
In reply to: FutureTop CommandTop

FINALLY someone who answered my question for real. i really appreciate your input, glad to hear your friend loves it so much. i will go ahead and buy one.

Collapse -
no ratings at reseller ratings.com...
by togus / November 8, 2005 10:23 AM PST
In reply to: THANKYOU!

or Hexus.net or PC World or PC Magazine or Tom's Hareware or Laptop logic or Notebook Reviews.com or Cnet or Sharkyextreme.com. But, one guy says "it's cool" so you're ready to buy one?

What Bob Proffitt, a pretty in touch guy about notebooks BTW, is trying to tell you is that boutique machines are often a big problem and you're likely better off choosing from one of the companies that you can be sure will be around for a while.

But, what the hell, one guy told you it was a great machine and that's what you wanted to hear, so it's all good.

Collapse -
actually there is...
by Shiningblade / November 11, 2005 6:33 AM PST

There is at reseller. futuretop is in connection with hybrid gear. they had a couple bad reviews, but be realistic, even the top companies such as dell etc have had complaints. i just gotta let them know who's boss, and make sure everything is done right. i have lived around computers my whole life, so ill know if anythign is wrong.

over all, from my extensive research, this group seems to be an A+ group. ill order from them soon.

Collapse -
FutureTop
by Bud91910 / November 11, 2005 10:30 AM PST
In reply to: actually there is...

Maybe this can answer some questions.
FutureTop Laptop Computer Systems, established in 2002, manufacturers and distributes a range of the most advanced laptop computer systems from affordable workstation class systems to the fastest laptop computer systems in the world. Featuring more advanced technology, more options, and a lower price than the competition, FutureTop is for anyone in need of an efficient, fast computer system. With the advanced coverage of our 3 Year Premium Warranty Protection Plan, customers can enjoy a lifetime of upgrades at our wholesale cost + receive trade-in credit on their existing components! With several prototype designs in the works to revolutionize our relationships with computers, FutureTop is devoted to developing new technology and advanced computer solutions for all its customers, while maintaining an excellent record of quality products, return customers, and overall customer satisfaction. All FutureTop systems undergo an extensive 200 point burn-in test before they ever leave our warehouse to ensure each system is operating at 100% when it reaches the customer. If your system is not shipped out our doors within 4 business days, we will pay for your shipping! At FutureTop, we guarantee the lowest price in the nation! If you find a lower price, we will beat it. Cheaper. Faster. Smarter. FutureTop.

Collapse -
Glad to hear your getting your machine
by Bud91910 / November 8, 2005 10:09 AM PST

Glad to hear your getting your machine. The people at FutureTop truly are a good crew. I now have my order in for my machine. I also am getting the top equipment. 2 120 gb Hdd, 3.8 P4 processor,Go 7800 as well as the rest of the bells and whistles.

So here I sit waiting as patiently as I can. I know my friend is glad I'll have my own.

So ....... lets enjoy......

Collapse -
what i plan on getting
by Shiningblade / November 15, 2005 1:04 AM PST

I plan on getting all top of the line stuff.

im waiting for the brand new 7800 gtx 512mb graphics card to be available for installation, then i will order the laptop. i also read some place they have 2gb so-dimm moduals for 533mhz each, as they already have 1gb moduals for 533mhz.... im so excited..

Collapse -
Mine is on the way
by Bud91910 / November 17, 2005 7:34 AM PST
In reply to: what i plan on getting

Well, mine is on the way. FutureTop is sending it overnight delivery. Just received an e-mail from them saying it should be here tomorrow at 10:00am FedX. The best part is they are paying for the shipping.

I'll let you know the details when it arrives. The next posting will be from my New FutureTop CommandTop.
Take care

Collapse -
I almost bought one but I realized something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
by piti80 / November 29, 2005 5:26 PM PST
In reply to: Mine is on the way

I set up a laptop with the baddest everything, proceeded to check out and when it asked me for my credit card info name and everything else, I happened to look up and there was no https no secure site what so ever, it does not even mention being secure at all, then I tried to look for the company at BBB and I could not find anything, I looked for hg and could not find enything either, there is no adress on their site, so we don't even know were this guys are, an average person wouldn't know how to track them. even their website looks like a five year old kid made it.

I really don't know it sounds to good to be true. But if a can confirm they are a legitimate, trustable company I would not doubt to get one of their systems.

Collapse -
FutureTop Laptop
by mstroder / December 7, 2005 9:40 AM PST

I read your posts and was wandering how your laptop is performing. Is it everything its made up to be?

Collapse -
Followup on your FutureTop
by Michael N / December 10, 2005 10:28 AM PST

Were you happy with your FutureTop notebooK?

I have yet to see posting of anyone about their own purchase.

Collapse -
Nutcase or frontman for Futuretop?
by stewart6 / December 10, 2005 11:35 AM PST

No details of his history posted. A glowing report writen by Futuretop themselves. Right again Bob Proffitt

Collapse -
I got my Futuretop
by Bud91910 / December 21, 2005 4:10 AM PST

Well, Ladys and Gentleman:

I know all of you have been waiting patiently for the results of my receiving my Commandtop Futuretop. Without going into all the Tech. issues I will give you a honest general view with pro's and cons.

Pro's

I have had the machine for about 3 to 4 weeks now and I must say I am happy with the product. It came with all the bells and whistles as advertised. It arrived packaged very well and loaded with the OS and additional software I requested. Additionally all the software CD's were included to include accessories and a Laptop bag.. I also receive a Homita 7" Portable DVD Player with all acessories as a promotional item for purchasing a FutureTop at no charge. Very nice little DVD player.

The 3.8 Ghz Intell P/4 processor is fast with the 800 FSB. Yes it is 64 bit ready. The on board monitor is excellent. Pictures and video's are displayed amazingly. Very large easy to use key pad. I have already burned both DVD's and CD's with out a problem. The Nero sowtware suite (which was included) runs very well with out any problems and makes burning what ever you want a breeze. I did get the Microsoft Windows XP Pro Media OS as well.

I have loaded additional softwae to include Auto Cad and Turbo Cad, both graphic intensive (I use these in my work). I usually have both running to include other programs that I need with many windows open and this machine just keeps on running without a problem. I also have some background programs runing that are intensively crunching numbers along with the other programs mentioned and still am able to be online and write this forum to you.

The gereral appearence of the machine is that it is large and yes it is heavy compaired to a Compaq Persiro laptop. I took the machine with me to Las Vegas on a business trip and discovered it isn't meant to be carried around for a long period of time.

I have to admit that Futuretop came thru without a problem. The cost of this machine was much lower compared to a Sager, Dell, Ailenware, Widow, etc. and it is basically the same laptop.

For my money (and your money if this is the kind of machine your looking for) this is the machine to buy.

Con's

Futuretop had to back order my remote control that comes with the media addition. I'm waiting on it.

Conclusion

For the dollar it is the best bang for the buck. When I compare it to a Sager or Widow it is a Sager/Widow but with a Futuretop label. If you have the money and looking for the best deal and a fast machine, hey Futuretop is the way to go. Well, thats about it, I'll stop by here again and see if anyone else has made the smart move.

Collapse -
And now a word from Hybridgear
by HGmadscientist / January 9, 2006 3:10 AM PST
In reply to: I got my Futuretop

Greetings Users,

Just wanted to let you all know that Futuretop was indeed a child of HG, but we all decided that it was a bit confusing to have 2 companies under the same leadership, it was becoming a nightmare for logistics.

Those problems have been handled, as HG has again fused into a single entity.

Bud, I appreciate your comments in our favor, but i would like to address a couple of posts on this forum myself.

First off...Bob, any questions you may or may not have about HG or any of our products, feel free to call me at 1.888.577.GEAR (4327)

Same goes for you, stewart6.

This is not to sound mean or petty, i just would like to handle legitimate concerns of any customers or future customers.

Piti80, if you would give me a call as well, i can easily answer any questions you may have about just about anything with these systems or our company.

And so you know, we're based out of Texas.

Bud, give me a call anytime and let me know what's up. I know you got your remote, so we can talk tech or gaming or whatever.

David
HG

Collapse -
David, the head cheese
by soar_loosers / January 10, 2006 6:57 AM PST

David is the head cheese of Hybrid Gear sales, I believe. He comes across as rather arrogant over the phone. Call the 1-888-577-GEAR number during the morning hours and you'll get David. But most of the time, in my experience, you'll get the answering machine. You leave messages...but they go unanswered. I got lucky once and called the number one late afternoon and spoke to the boss, Matt. Matt is the owner of the business, I believe. He came across very personable and even gave me his personal phone numbers. After talking to the boss man, I placed an order several days later through Steve, who was helpful. I scribbled Matt's phone numbers down on a post-it pad but misplaced it somewhere. Otherwise, I would call Matt today to let him know what a lousy job his employees are doing to satisfy customers.

By the way, try emailing their sales and support people. Before I placed my order, I did a little test. I emailed several messages to their sales and support people to see how prompt they were about answering customers inquiries. NONE, none of my emails were answered. I should've gone with my first instinct after the email test failure and not place an order. However, after talking to the owner of the business, who even gave me his personal phone numbers including his cell phone, he gained my confidence. How many business owners would do that, give out their personal phone numbers? Too bad his employees are lousy at satisfying their customers. Lame excuses doesn't work when you're trying to compete against Dell, Sager, Alienware, VoodooPC, WidowPC, etc...

Collapse -
How many days did you have to wait?
by soar_loosers / January 10, 2006 1:46 AM PST
In reply to: I got my Futuretop

I gave up after waiting for 28 days and cancelled my order. How many days did you have to wait from the time you placed the orders to the time you got it at your front door?

I placed my order in good faith after talking to Matt, the owner of the company, who promised that he could give me the best deal out there for the type of notebook that I wanted. He even gave me his personal phone number. How many owner of a company would be willing to do that? Unfortunately, I misplaced the piece of paper that I wrote the phone numbers on but did place order through one of their salesman Steve, who was extremely helpful. Steve convinced my that Futuretop/Hybrid Gear was a top-notched, trustworthy company. I negotiated a great deal and ordered a Commandtop notebook with all the bells and whistles, all top of the line options, nothing but the best. 28 days later, no computer. Nothing but lame excuses from their sales guys, including the head sales cheese, David. I waited patiently for 28 days but these guys weren't able to deliver. So, how long did you have to wait?

Collapse -
Poor support, too many excuses
by soar_loosers / January 10, 2006 1:22 AM PST

I wouldn't buy from these guys. I placed an order for their top of the line CommandTop notebook with all the bells and whistles for +$4000. I waited and waited and waited for 28 days and nothing, no computer. Not even a courtesy call from them to talk to me in person to explain why the delay and problem! I had to make numerous efforts myself to get updates on the status on my orders and got one excuses after another. One guy even said that he wasn't ''authorized to know why'' my order have been stalled. And in an attempt to cancel a order, another guy over the phone said that he wasn't ''authorized to cancel any orders'' and that I would have to speak to David. I left several messages with David but they were all unanswered. I finally get in touch with David by phone and was told that they had been having phone problems for days. After exhausting efforts, I finally lost faith and got my order cancelled, at least verbally over the phone. David even had the chutzpah to ask me why I cancelled my order. Geez, these guys are clueless when it comes to customer service. I was already very patient and gave them 28 days. I'll just take my $4,000+ bucks somewhere else. There are many other companies that makes these same Clevo-based notebooks anyhow. Sure, Hybrid Gear/Futuretop have somewhat of a cheaper price, but I wouldn't hesitate to pay an extra couple hundred bucks for better customer service and support. The savings ain't worth it.

Collapse -
I'd be sure to touch bases with my credit card company to
by togus / January 10, 2006 3:38 AM PST

let them know you've cancelled, the details of your conplaint and to stop payment from them. Funny how these companies pay more attention to the big banks than they do to the little consumer. I'd look at Sagers or Asus units built by Discount in Nevada or ProPortable if I were looking for the kind of machine you seem to want.

Collapse -
Thanks, I already did
by soar_loosers / January 10, 2006 6:06 AM PST

I've already informed my credit card company. I'll give Hybridgear a few days to credit back the cost to my account. My credit card company told me that their policy is to wait 15 days before they take actions. That kinda piss me off about them too. SHEESH, 15 days. Meanwhile, my bill is due by the end of the month.

As to getting another notebook, I'm just gonna stick with Dell. At least I know what I'm getting from them, mediocrity and all.

Collapse -
It's been over a week, no refund
by soar_loosers / January 17, 2006 12:03 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks, I already did

These guys at hybridgear are acting like crooks. I cancelled my order well over a week ago and they've yet to refund me. DO NOT BUY FROM HYBRIDGEAR!!!!! THEY CANNOT DELIVER WHAT THEY PROMISE.

Collapse -
CROOKS AT HYBRIDGEAR - DO NOT BUY FROM THEM
by soar_loosers / January 19, 2006 1:01 AM PST

It's now 2 weeks and they haven't refund my +$4000.00 yet. I talked to my credit card company who will now investigate the situation. Meanwhile, the credit card company says that it is their standard policy to allow the merchant, in this case the crooks at hybridgear, 90 days to respond to my dispute. ***??? 90 days????!!!!! I'm cancelling this credit card once this ordeal is over. Crooks they are all crooks. Meanwhile my bill is due by the end of the month. I'm going to have to start screaming to get a temporary $4000.00 credit on my account so that I won't have to pay this bill while the credit card company investigate the situation. Daggum!!! Crooks, they're all crooks!!!!

Collapse -
Bummer
by Bud91910 / January 26, 2006 7:11 AM PST

Sorry to hear your having such a problem with Hybridgear. I must say that my dealings with Hybridgear have been excellent. I have my new Commandtop/Futuretop and the machine is running fine. I did have a faulty CD/ROM but Hybridgear sent me a replacement over night without a hitch, infact they even upgraded it to a DVD R/RW at no additional cost. I have had a couple of small issues with software and they were there to help and I might add with success also. They even replaced the software in question with new and that also was over night UPS as well.

I can understand your frustration and we all know that there are times when something can happen and we become a victim and fall in a crack, but I am curious as to why you didn't issue a stop payment to your credit card company and they follow suit. Obviously, your canceling your credit card after this issue is resolved indicates your unhappiness with them as well, I gather they are crooks to. But then $4,000.00 is a lot of money and can make one have second thoughts.

You have not mentioned as to your speaking with Hybridgear and what they may have said they would do to resolve the problem. I'm sure they are aware that negative forum is not good for there business, but then I've read negative forum on other OEM's and manufactor's as well. I guess its a roll of the dice whether it be Dell, Sony, HP, Sager etc. because they all have problems.

I know you'll get your money back and I hope you have better luck with the next vendor. Have you tried Fry's Electronics, now there's a place to go or how about Best Buy.

I'm sure all business has as many happy customers as they do unhappy customers, but that does not make them crooks. I can honestly say that Hybridgear has backed up all that they have said they will do. I continue to look forward to a good business relationship with them. Thus far they have been honest and helpful as well as followed thru with the agreement we entered in. I am a happy customer, I'm sorry that you are not.

I give Hybridgear an A for the day.

Collapse -
What a mess!
by soar_loosers / February 1, 2006 12:45 PM PST
In reply to: Bummer

So, how long did you wait until you got your laptop? I gave Hybridgear 28 days but they couldn't deliver. 28 days = 4 weeks! I reported the entire ordeal to Discover Card immediately on the day that I cancelled the order and was told that it was their ''standard policy'' to wait 15 days for vendor/merchant to refund my account before they would investigate the matter. Meanwhile for 2 weeks, I call Hybridgear literally almost every day and was told by David, et. al, that it was out of their hands, as they (Hybridgear) rely on a third party to handle credit card transaction and that ''all (they) could do'' was to submit to this ''third party'' my request for cancellation. What a load of crap!!!! Shoveled high all the way to the ceiling, too!!! I bugged Discover Card again several time and finally was told that they will investigate the matter since 15 days have elapsed. After numerous phone calls and keeping the wheel squeaking, Discover Card finally squirted a lil' oil and agreed to give me a ''temporary credit while pending investigation'' so I wouldn't have to fork out the money to pay for something I never received and cancelled over 2 weeks earlier. However, Discover Card also to me that it was again their ''standard policy to allow the merchant 90 days to respond'' to my dispute. What another load of horse manure pile up high, and this time completely unexpected from Discover Card, too. Et tu, Discover Card??? So that'll be a potential total of 105 days before I hear something. Boy, I tell you what, there's no real protection for the consumers, not even from Discover Card. 105 days, can you believe it? I sure wasn't expecting this huge disappointment from Discover Card on top of it all. 105 days, Daggum! Meanwhile, I'll keep on bugging all of them every day until I get my refund.

BTW, you're David aren't ya. C'mon fess up. You sound like you're one of them.

Collapse -
Messes can be cleaned up.........
by Bud91910 / February 8, 2006 12:49 PM PST
In reply to: What a mess!

I received my laptop in 8 days after ordering it. There were some extra bells and whistles I wanted. Understandably it would take longer than four days because of this. My machine is still running fine and I have to admit I got one hell of a deal.

I agree with you that credit card companys don't always do as they advertise and yes they can be a real pain in the *** if you start having problems with them. It would seem that this is where the problem really lies and possibly from the very begining. But they can be fired to.

As I have said before, sometimes we fall in a crack and it can be a job to get out. I still stand by what I have said in all of my post and it is terrible that things haven't worked out for you. But you seem to be the type of individual that is not about to give up and that in itself is good. After all $4000.00 is a lot of money.

I hate to pop your bubble, but I am not David or any employee of Hybridgear. I'm just a happy customer and am glad that I purchased the laptop I wanted from them. They have done a fine job.

I know you will find a vendor that you will like. It's like finding the right woman. I wish you the best my friend. Keep us posted.

Collapse -
Finally got my refund
by soar_loosers / February 17, 2006 3:11 AM PST

OK, I admit I was harsh for using the term "crooks." But finally after weeks of squeaking the wheels, my $4000+ has been credited back to my Discover Card account.

Hybridgear's schtick is that they have the cheapest price and greatest bang for the bucks with superb components. Unfortunately, they can't deliver in a timely manner and their customer service sucks. All I really needed was a phone call to tell me why my order was delayed, and an apology. If they were to call me up give a reasonable explanation and make it up to me in something like free delivery, free upgrade, etc...I'd have no problem waiting more than 4 weeks for the machine to be built.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.