General discussion

funny noise in tower

when i put my pc on i get a loud grinding noise 4 about 30 seconds then goes it sounds like a fan like its cold or something but i dont want to open case and look could anyone else have any ideas what it might be?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: funny noise in tower
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: funny noise in tower
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Noise

The only way to find out is to open it up, sounds like a fan issue and it should be addressed or you could have some problems arising that you don't want.

- Collapse -
grinding noise reply to reply

what sort of problems could arise?

- Collapse -
If a fan dies, less cooling takes place

This could create small problems such as PC shutdowns or disasters if the CPU heat sink fan dies. If that happens, the CPU gets toasted like a muffin in an oven and can even damage the motherboard. Case fans are the easiest to replace. PS fans a little tougher and most will just want to replace the power supply. CPU fans generally mean you replace the heatsink/fan as an assembly which entails cleaning and reapplying heatsink compound.

- Collapse -
Check and verify

Follow your ear is pretty much the std. find it sorta thing in these cases. Since, you don't want to open case, then allow it to fail and pin-point it that way. Sorry either that or get inside or allow a pro to fix it.

tada -----Willy Happy

- Collapse -
Classic fan bearings wearing out

For fans you can see without opening the case, you can just poke a pencil or something will just stop the blades from starting the next time you turn on your PC. If you still get the noise, there's no option but to do the same with the case open until you find the bad fan. In any event, the case needs to be opened to replace it. Most are easy enough to do by oneself if you're comfortable with hand tools. Speed controlled fans are a little trickier as are power supply fans but it can be done.

CNET Forums

Forum Info