Computer Help forum

Function Key not working once Windows 7 Loads

by TanaJayne / February 5, 2014 2:09 AM PST

My computer is a Dell Laptop which was imaged by my company, and there were some errors made on the imaging. Since it takes so long for a re-image I would like to find a fix for the issue.

The Function Key will work before the Windows Operating System loads but will not work once the operating system has loaded. I am using Windows 7.

Therefore I cannot adjust my screen brightness nor will my machine recognize external devices plugged into the VGA port.

I needed to use a projector the other day and that wouldn't work because you need to use the function key in combination with another key to recognize it, I also cannot get it to recognize my external monitor and of course the remedy for that is once again using the function key in combination with another key. Any ideas on how to fix the function key or a work around to get the computer to recognize external devices plugged into the VGA port??

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Function Key not working once Windows 7 Loads
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Function Key not working once Windows 7 Loads
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2014 2:16 AM PST

Such is controlled by helper apps such as Dell's QuickSet. I find many new to Windows owners, that is when they learn about extra apps often remove too much. There's also an issue with KEYBOARD LOGGERS that can block this function.

Be sure to ask the IT staff to explain Dell's QuickSet as I defer to you company support.

Collapse -
Quick Set
by TanaJayne / February 5, 2014 4:18 AM PST
In reply to: True.

Thanks, our IT team is very limited and not very knowledgeable can you tell me where i might find a download for quickset.exe I have a dell latitude.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2014 4:21 AM PST
In reply to: Quick Set

Talk to HR today. I'm shocked that they didn't head to to put in the service tag or search dell for quickset.

Collapse -
by TanaJayne / February 7, 2014 4:22 AM PST
In reply to: Ouch.

What they want to do is re-image my machine which means I have to reinstall everything I am using and I will be without my laptop for a few days. I telework so this is a big problem for me.

How about using a VGA to USB Adaptor

or better yet how about the USB to VGA External Video Card Multi Monitor Adapter which has an adaptor and its own external Video Card.

Do you think either of these options would work??

Thanks Tana

Collapse -
No. Why a video adapter to fix function keys?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 7, 2014 6:57 AM PST
In reply to: Adaptor

I'd keep this one to myself. Don't let HR know!

Collapse -
Function Key wasn't problem couldn't use external VGA
by TanaJayne / February 7, 2014 7:31 AM PST

No need to be rude! You aren't talking to a newbie!

Obviously you didn't read my original post. The problem is that I want to use external projectors or monitors and the function key doesn't work so I couldn't get the computer to recognize either one.

However, I was thinking I could use a USB to VGA adaptor that has its own external video card which would allow me to use either the monitor or projector.

Collapse -
That does not appear to be USB to VGA.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 7, 2014 7:51 AM PST

Sorry if any humor is misread. We know your work place must be quite short on support if they can't find QuickSet or what it is. New or not, google has been around a long time now so why was this asked? You don't have to tell.

-> Here's my bets.

1. Quickset is not installed.
2. The image may be missing drivers or wrong drivers to drive VGA and onboard LCD.

Let's be honest. It's work and they must support you. I don't mind sharing what I think it is but I'm not there to correct your IT business decisions.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?