Computer Help forum

General discussion

Full Vista Ultimate Backup

by Mary T-205113508737904897 / January 9, 2010 9:43 PM PST

Since uninstalling a Norton program, my computer has not been working as it should.
I have decided to use the rescue disc that came with the computer to reinstall Windows.
As it is Vista Ultimate, I have used the full PC backup that comes with it to get every thing on to several DVD's.

To save putting all my programs back onto the computer one by one using their installation discs, I would like to do a full system restore via the Backup and restore centre.

What worries me, is that when I have been backing up my computer, could I have backed up any faults in the system that will materialise if I carry out a full system restore?

Would much appreciate any advice.
Thanks, Mary T

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Full Vista Ultimate Backup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Full Vista Ultimate Backup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 9, 2010 9:47 PM PST

If that's a full system backup then the backup has the fault and you will be restore it to its faulty condition.

Today, even in Windows 7 there is no feature in any version of windows that let's you "reinstall the OS but keep all my programs and files intact."

Maybe in Windows 8 they'll figure that out. Apple has this today but that's another system and even there it's only 99% perfect.

-> Which NORTON PROGRAM? I missed which one and couldn't find an issue to be resolved.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks Bob
by Mary T-205113508737904897 / January 9, 2010 10:20 PM PST
In reply to: Yes.

It was uninstalling Norton Internet Security 2009 that left me with problems. I also used a tool from the Symantec website to no avail.

I will just reinstall my programs one at a time, then reinstall my backed up files.

Incidentally, the new security suite I am going to try is Kaspersky 2010.

I much appreciate your advice.

Mary T

Collapse -
Maybe the problems can be solved.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 9, 2010 10:58 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks Bob

But I missed them. For example a common problem is IE not working on most web pages after uninstalling Norton. The common fix is to uncheck the proxy checkbox. But I imagine some that would re-install the OS rather than uncheck that box.
Bob

Collapse -
Web pages don't load properly.
by Mary T-205113508737904897 / January 9, 2010 11:50 PM PST

When I load a web page, instead of loading all at once as it used to before I uninstalled Norton. Part of the page loads, but it takes a few seconds to see the complete page.

I have all my files backed up, so I will go ahead with reinstalling the OS. Perhaps a spring clean will be no bad thing. Although Spring in the UK seems a long way off as I look out of the window!

Thanks for getting back to me Bob.

Mary T

Collapse -
Which is one of the known issues.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 9, 2010 11:58 PM PST

The usual fixes to that are.

1. Remove all BHO entries you find with HIJACKTHIS (none are required for IE.)
2. Run CCLEANER with its stock settings (download.com)
3. The Proxy setting check.
Bob

Collapse -
Used CCleaner
by Mary T-205113508737904897 / January 10, 2010 1:03 AM PST

and it seems to have fixed the problem.
Should have said I use IE7.

Thanks Bob

Mary T

Collapse -
Good to here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 10, 2010 7:01 AM PST
In reply to: Used CCleaner

Hope that saved you a reload.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.