Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

full scan (manual)

by JOLGEH / April 21, 2006 6:23 AM PDT

Greetings...I am using Netscape 8.1 for the first time and have a problem with the full scan.
Last week when I downloaded 8.1 the appropriate security box(Spyware Protection)in the Netscape Security Center drop down screen lower right, showed "Last Full Scan...Never", and that was correct of course. There was a place for me to click to do a full scan and I did it successfully. However, subsequently when I go to Netscape Security Center" and then Spyware Protection again, there is no place that I can see that allows me to do a full scan again...it only says..."last full scan": 5 days ago.

Can someone please help me so that I can manually start a full scan whenver I please.
Thanks so much.
Tom

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: full scan (manual)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: full scan (manual)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
tomcatuno.. you could try..
by Carol~ Moderator / April 21, 2006 7:57 AM PDT
In reply to: full scan (manual)

going to the Silly Dog forum, where they deal with your type of issues. Or more appropriately, the Netscape community forum, until/unless someone answer's you here.

Sorry I can't be of further help..
Carol

Collapse -
Netscape scan
by Marianna Schmudlach / April 21, 2006 10:22 AM PDT
In reply to: full scan (manual)

Hi,

click on security center at the top.

Then click on Spyware protection > blue -> you will get the "options Spywarescan" look down and you will see near the bottom right: run full scan

HTH

Collapse -
manual full Netscape Spyware scan
by JOLGEH / April 21, 2006 11:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Netscape scan

Hi Marianna...Thanks for resonding to my concern.When I click on Netscape security Center and click Spyware Protection and then clcik blue double arrow to the right of Spyware Protection I get a gray drop-down screen in the upper left cornerThe Tab is ''Options Spyware Protection''. There is nothing there about any scan.
Perhaps I'm missing something here...I don't know. Do you think I should download Netscape again and see if that helps?
Thanks much...Tom

Collapse -
Tom.....
by Marianna Schmudlach / April 21, 2006 11:31 AM PDT

Let's try it a different way......

In Netscape - go to:

Tools > Security Center > it will pop up - is spyware protection enabled??

click on spyware protection and then on the blue double arrow. You will get a new "pop-up" Options Spyware Protection.

I have a "dot" in :

show a warning page before loading the site.

- checkmark in: scan downloaded files for potential spyware and adware.

a "dot" in: ask what to do.

Underneath you will see:

Status

antispyware is enabled ...... to the right of it is a button with Run Full Scan.

Could it be, you don't have it enabled??

Collapse -
scan
by JOLGEH / April 21, 2006 11:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Tom.....

Thanks again Marianna. Yes, all indications are that it is enabled. However, your "option" popup is nearly identical to mine except...and it's a big exception, at the bottom where it says ...is enabled and will scan all downloaded files for hidden spyware." then there are two boxes underneath that...one to click OK, the other to CANCEL. I click OK and the screen disappears and that is it!
There is nothing about "run full scan"...very strange indeed. I'll understand if you give up on this mystery.
Best...Tom

Collapse -
I can only say : "weird"
by Marianna Schmudlach / April 21, 2006 12:26 PM PDT
In reply to: scan

Tom,

in Netscape go to: Tools > options

Under Security and Privacy click on:

Spyware Protection

Do you SEE at the bottom:

Status

Antispyware is enabled, and will scan all downloaded files for hidden spyware.

Last full scan........ next to it a button with Run full Scan and underneath 2 buttons with ok and Cancel

Collapse -
searching Netscape forums
by Marianna Schmudlach / April 21, 2006 1:00 PM PDT

I found this:

When I first downloaded Netscape 8.1, I could run it perfectly. Then the Security Center wouldn't even show up. I re-downloaded and installed Netscape 8.1, but no matter what, I still get the same error. For some reason, no matter what I do, I cannot run the Spyware Scan. I get an error saying Netscape has to close every time. I've done what tech support has told me when I send e-mail to them, but nothing works. What is going on?

Reply:

There is a bug in the security scan. If its not working for you, don't use it until they get it fixed.

http://community.netscape.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?nav=messages&tsn=1&tid=4982&webtag=ws-nscpbrowser

Collapse -
scan
by JOLGEH / April 21, 2006 3:25 PM PDT

Hi Marianna and again thanks for your input. No luck...so such thing (except on day one) as "Run Full Scan." Oh well. Perhaps tomorrow I'll un/reinstall and see if that helps. From the looks of some of the messages lots of folks have similar problems.
I'm mighty impressed with your technical knowledge. That's quite a bio. I'm somewhere over near the other end of the scale.
Have a good weekend and perhaps we'll talk again.
Tom S.F. Bay Area

Collapse -
Tom, You're Very Welcome !
by Marianna Schmudlach / April 21, 2006 4:11 PM PDT

Hi Tom,

give it a try with uninstalling and reinstalling.

Make sure you uninstall everything.

For cleaning up - if you don't have it already, download CCleaner:

http://www.ccleaner.com/

Before first use, check under Options, Settings, and ensure "Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 48 hours" is unchecked.

Then open it and select the items you wish to clean up.

In the Windows Tab:

I recommend cleaning all entries in the "Internet Explorer" section except Cookies.
Clean all the entries in the "Windows Explorer" section
Clean all entries in the "System" section
Clean all entries in the "Advanced" section.

In the Applications Tab:

Clean all except cookies in the Firefox/Mozilla section if you use it.
Clean all in the Opera section if you use it.
Clean Sun Java in the Internet Section.
Clean any others that you choose.

Then click the "Run Cleaner" button

Good Luck and fingers crossed here Happy

Have a great weekend Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?