Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Full partition but can't find files to delete

by gaugert / July 15, 2005 4:06 AM PDT

Both my wife and I have Sony PCV RS520's with WIN XP Home. 150G HD divided into C and D. Our C drives are down to 2 gig available. This low memory gives us problems when moving large files.

My wife likes to work with video clips to create dvd's/cd's of our daughters soccer exploits. I have looked for large files to remove after she completes her dvd's but I can not find any to remove.

My computer had 10G free until this last week when I loaded AOE II (that is the only new program I have loaded) and now I am down to 2.1G available.

We both use Norton AV, Spybot and Ad-aware at least weekly. I have performed Disk clean up and defrag but it did not seem to make a difference.

I would appreciate any help and direction you can give.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Full partition but can't find files to delete
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Full partition but can't find files to delete
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
you didn't mention how much space you have on D
by jonah jones / July 15, 2005 4:16 AM PDT
Collapse -
Partitions are not useful when no one
by Ray Harinec / July 15, 2005 5:01 AM PDT

trains one how to insure that nothing gets put on the C: drive except Op Sys related [as well as the crap that Sony et al forces on you].

It's up to user to tell downloads and programs where to be installed.

Since most try to instal to C: Program Files, create a Program Files folder on the D drive. When a program wants, to install to C, simply change the C to a D.

Slightly different ways to do it by different programs.

If there is an option for custom install, ALWAYS use that, it will always allow installing to the location of your choice.

Now you job is relocate some of your stuff, or you can download something to help you and hope it doesn't and spyware and anything else nefarious. LOL

Collapse -
Full partition but can't find files to delete
by jcrobso / July 15, 2005 6:14 AM PDT

Have you empited the trash? Run disk cleanup?? John

Collapse -
Gaugert, This Should Help Too
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 17, 2005 4:07 AM PDT

Try to regain some of that used space by following the steps on the links below. I've seen some computers gain a few GB's using this method.:

How To Clean Unwanted Files From The Hard Drive

Cleanup After SP2 Installation

And if the computer is running great, you should consider temporarily disabling System Restore. Disable SR using the instructions in the link below, restart the computer, then re-enable it again, then restart the computer one more time. You will lose all restore points, but when you re-enable SR, you will gain a lot of space. DO NOT CONSIDER THIS OPTION IF the computer has been having problems.

How To Disable System Restore

After following all the procedures above, run Error Checking/Chkdsk and Defrag to optimize the hard drive:

How To Run 'Error Checking/Chkdsk' On Win2000/XP

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?