Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Full Hard Drive

by fmweisse / September 16, 2006 5:38 PM PDT

My Dell computer is less than 3 years old and runs fine, but when I try to upload movies from my video camera it says that I don't have enough space on my hard drive. I checked and it says that of my 40GB I only have 5GB's left. I hardly ever use this computer and there is no way I have filled up all this space. What could be using up all my hard drive space? Is it possible that a virus is using up all my hard drive space?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Full Hard Drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Full Hard Drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Digital Videos
by john_mcdoogle / September 16, 2006 7:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Full Hard Drive

Many people would be surprised at how much space digital videos can take up, and this could easily account for your "missing" space.

While not impossible, I've never heard of a virus that fills a hard drive. I've known of software and movie pirates to drop a trojan onto someone's computer, and use it to serve up pirated software and movies, but they usually like to go after systems on University networks or other really high bandwidth places. Also, with a 40GB drive total, you're not likely worth the effort in the minds of these people.

Simple fact is, 40GB just doesn't go that far these days, and you probably want to be looking for a second drive. You can either get an internal one, or spend a little extra so you don't have to open the case, and get an external. I'd just suggest getting something in the 250-300GB range or more if you're dealing with digital videos.

Collapse -
I Have To Say............
by Trance_Zac / September 16, 2006 7:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Digital Videos

Go with an internal hard drive slaved to your master.

I've used many different configurations for external drives, both USB & FireWire

There is no such a solid contact as with a slaved drive on IDE channel 0

I have one madchine built on IDEO HD Master, CD Slave & using what would normally be CD channel (IDE1) for a "hot swap box" for data recovery, clean-up etc.

No way of getting this kind of functionality from an external drive

In my opinion, External Hard Drives are for those of us who don't know how to set-up a PC!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.