Computer Help forum

General discussion

Full C Drive

by rcmglover / January 14, 2010 6:44 AM PST

To increase space on "C", I have tried copying several items over to my "D" drive. I then try to delete the items from the C drive but computer rejects the attempt.
How can I do this successfully?
Tks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Full C Drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Full C Drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Depends what files
by RCF_Rose / January 14, 2010 6:50 AM PST
In reply to: Full C Drive

Since the My Documents folder is usually rather large that would be the best one to move to the D drive.

See here on how it's done.

I had good results with increasing space by doing that.

@
\)/
Rose

Collapse -
C Drive
by rcmglover / January 14, 2010 7:07 AM PST
In reply to: Depends what files

Many thanks....released about 2.5G on the C drive....where can I send the cheque??
ROBBO

Collapse -
(NT) How about one of the Haiti Relief Funds?
by VAPCMD / January 14, 2010 10:05 AM PST
In reply to: C Drive
Collapse -
Glad it helped.
by RCF_Rose / January 14, 2010 2:30 PM PST
In reply to: C Drive

You can also delete all the NtUninststall files put into the Windows folder by Windows Updates and Patches. They are placed there at the time of an update in case you want to uninstall the update should anything go wrong.

See this screen shot to see which ones I'm talking about. I only have one right now but there have been times I've had 15 or more. Some are quite large and you might free up another half GB or more. .

DO NOT delete the first one: $hf_mig$. You can delete all others that have the $ symbol before and after the folder name.

@
\)/
Rose

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?