General discussion

Fujitsu Lifebook N Series USB Ports not working

Hey guys,

I need some help with my laptop.
So i have a fujitsu lifebook which is probably around 3 years old.
A long time ago i plugged in a device into the side USB port, and it caused the computer to die and not respond. We had to send it in for repairs.
But it wasn't completley repaired. Ever since, if you touched said USB port in the wrong way, the computer would instantly turn off, however it can be turned back on.

So we have ignored touching this port. But today my brother accidently hit it again while searching for the power port. Now, none of the 4 other USB ports on the rear of the computer respond. My mouse doesn't light up, and my Zune MP3 player doesn't function or recieve a charge from the ports.

Basically, i need to get the USB ports working again.

Running windows vista.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Matt

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Fujitsu Lifebook N Series USB Ports not working
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Fujitsu Lifebook N Series USB Ports not working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Basically ...

this is a hardware issue. So open the case and repair it. If you don't feel qualified yourself (I wouldn't be, but I'm a software man) find a repair shop that does it or send it to Fujitsu repair center again. Which, by the way, you should have done immediately when you found out, because fixing a repair under its warranty would have been free. And now you'll have to pay, I'm afraid.

Kees

- Collapse -
as

Well i'm comfortable workign on the guts of the computer, but i have little understanding of how they work etc, so i'd need to know what is wrong or what needs replacement.

- Collapse -
Re: repair

My guess: a connection on the motherboard needs to be resoldered. But don't blame ME if you blow up the motherboard and need to buy another laptop. Only blame yourself for not seeking professional help.

Kees

- Collapse -
How I test if it's the machine or the OS.

I boot UBUNTU (it's on CD, no install and is my tool of choice for a quick test.)

I see if an USB mouse works and if it does I look for the restore media.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info