Desktops forum

General discussion

Fujitsu computers

Does anybody know anything about Fujitsu computers? They are a big company over here in Japan but I am not sure if they sell their computers back in the the U.S., or maybe they do but under a different name.

Anyway, my current computer is over 5 years old and is pretty much shot. Instead of trying to have it fixed and upgrade all the old components it would probably be better to just buy a new one.

I saw the following Fujitsu desktop in a computer store near my home as was just wondering if anybody thinks it's any good. I tried looking for a computer with similiar stuff on the CNET Product Reviews site but had no luck. So, I am going to try and include as much information as possible in this post and see what people think. I apologize in advance for the length.

Model: Fujitsu FMV Deskpower FMV CE50H7

CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2800+

Cache Memory: 256MB (Primary); 512MB(Secondary)

Chipset: SiS Company SiS741LV Chipset

System bus: 333 Mhz

Main Memory:
Standard: 256MB (DDR SDRAM-DIMM, PC3200)
Slots: 2 Open slots
Upper Limit Memory: 1 GB

Monitor: 17" Digital LCD (Full Color 167,700,000 colors)

Video Memory: 32 MB

Graphics Accelerator: SiS Company SiS741LV

FDD: optional

HDD: 160GB (Ultra ATA/100, 7200turns/sec)
DVD Drive: Super Multi Drive (DVD-RAM: Read 3x/Write 3x; DVD-R: Read 8x/Write 8x; DVD-RW: Read 8x/Write 4x; DVD+R: Read 8x/Write 8x; DVD+RW: Read 8x/Write 4x; DVD-ROM: Read 12x; CD: Read 32x; CD-R: Write 24x; CD-RW: Write 10x)

Audio Function: internal chipset + AC97 Codec

Speakers: internal (inside monitor)

Modem: 56kbps (V.90 standard) 100BASE-TX/10BASE-T

TV Capability: Yes

It also has 2 slots for PC cards, 1 for SD Cards, 6 USB ports, input for S-Video or for three color VCR input cables, digital audio input and other stuff. Can record upto 140 hours of TV programs directly onto the DVD-RAM.

Price is 160,000 yen ($1300-$1400?)

Even though the there a few things that probably could be better (ie: (1) the primary cache is only 256, (2) the CPU is not Pentium 4 (3) The graphics card seems to be an intergrated one (4) the systems bus is not 400Mhz or above) is this a good deal or should I keep looking?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Fujitsu computers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Fujitsu computers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Fujitsu computers

In reply to: Fujitsu computers

Collapse -
Re: Fujitsu computers

In reply to: Re: Fujitsu computers

Thanks for the info.

I figured that prices here were more quite high compared to back in the U.S., but I guess there's no way around that.

It looks like that Gateway PC doesn't come with a monitor. According to the same website, monitors look to be about $300 and up so I guess that takes a little bite out of the price difference.

Couldn't tell from the page, but does that PC include DVD-RAM as well? And, did it have TV capability?

Thanks again for the link.

Collapse -
About DVD-RAM

In reply to: Re: Fujitsu computers

It's dead here. There is no interest in DVD-RAM and if I wanted such a drive, it's about 30 bucks on the used market. As to TV cards, such are 49 bucks retail.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: About DVD-RAM

In reply to: About DVD-RAM

Thanks again for the reply.

That's interesting. I think DVD-RAM is a big selling point over here.

TV cards are also a big selling point as well. The sales rep at the store I went to said that it would be better to get a computer that came with a TV card preinstalled since the good ones cost about $300 (my guess) on their own.

Your replies have made me start to seriously consider ordering a computer from a U.S. company over the net. Can you or anybody else recommend any going places that ship internationally and offer good support? Also, I would need to get really good Japanese language capability so do you think I'll need a Japanese OS for that?

Thanks again.

Collapse -
Re: About DVD-RAM

In reply to: Re: About DVD-RAM

I've found "support" to be only for the hardware. Some owners lose their cool when they find out that software support isn't being offered at the discount prices.

Is this OK?

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.