Cameras forum

General discussion

fuji s700 or kodak z1285 emergency decision

by kamooters / May 26, 2008 1:47 AM PDT

Hi my dad needs a camera for his honeymoon to The Grand Canyon and these 2 are on sale for $150. The Fuji is a Memorial Day sale and ends today and I don't know much about cameras so I couldn't help him choose. The Fuji is 7mp & 10x o. zoom.....and the Kodak is 12mp & 5x o. zoom. Any suggestions would be awesome.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: fuji s700 or kodak z1285 emergency decision
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: fuji s700 or kodak z1285 emergency decision
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
AA batteries? No view finder?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 26, 2008 1:52 AM PDT

Is there a reason to go with batteries and no viewfinder?

Collapse -
hmmm
by kamooters / May 26, 2008 3:00 AM PDT

i dunno he just gave me these 2 ads from the newspaper and that's about the price they can afford...sorry if i asked too newb of a question

Collapse -
Both should add...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 26, 2008 3:05 AM PDT
In reply to: hmmm

A 2GB or so memory card. Sorry if my questions didn't make sense.

Collapse -
so i guees a more appropiate question
by kamooters / May 26, 2008 3:32 AM PDT

what's more important more mps or more zoom cuz he's going to go buy either one today

Collapse -
Re: so i guees a more appropiate question
by Tufenuf / May 26, 2008 4:07 AM PDT
Collapse -
Fuji lacking

There is one thing the Fuji camera does not have that is very important in an ultra-zoom camera...image stabilization.

Collapse -
Re: Fuji lacking
by Tufenuf / May 26, 2008 4:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Fuji lacking

The kodak z1285 doesn't have image stabilization either. At the longer zooms it is best to use a tripod or at least try to stabilize the camera on something solid.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
thank you
by kamooters / May 26, 2008 5:23 AM PDT

Thanks for the links. They were helpful. I'm probably going to reccommend the Fuji, since the only comment for the Kodak is that it locks up occasionally, needing the batteries to be taken out and put back in to reset the camera. I think they would probably be scared they broke it if that happened to them lol. I guess that can happen with anything but the reviews for the Fuji seems better overall.

Collapse -
AVOID the Kodak Z1285
by aky113 / March 29, 2009 11:27 AM PDT

Hi,

I do NOT know which camera to recommend unless you think your father would like a digital SLR. If so, I have a SONY A100 that should now be fairly inexpensive. It is VERY suitable for a novice to moderately knowledgeable photographer. It does NOT do everything the more expensive ones do, but it is fairly powerful for what it costs! AND, it DOES have image stabilization!

I am just tomorrow returning a Kodak Z1285 that I bought for my wife, a NOVICE at photography. When her photos did not look too good, I tested the camera. I have 45 years of experience in photography and know what I am doing. Either the one I received was defective, OR the Kodak tech support people were right and the model has what I would call a "design defect." Kodak's techies called it a model "limitation." In the two easiest to use modes, SMART SCENE and DIGITAL IMAGE STABILIZATION (the mode you would at least use for telephoto shots) the camera would NOT focus on any subject beyond approximately 20 feet! I spent several hours today reading reviews and comments about the Z1285. Apparently, difficulty focusing is a COMMON problem.

AVOID the Kodak Z1285.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.