Cameras forum

General discussion

fuji finepix cant upload pix

hi, bought a fuji finepix and i cant upload any pictures. i ran the disc and installed finepix viewer, tried addind hardware-the camera shows up on the hardware list, i get a 'ding' when the camera is attached to the usb and powered on but nothing else. any ideas?
thanks, charlie oh, xp sp2

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: fuji finepix cant upload pix
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: fuji finepix cant upload pix
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Fujifilm Camera

In reply to: fuji finepix cant upload pix

For a starter.....how about telling us the model number of the camera.
Without that, we cannot be very specific.

Collapse -
Fujifilm Camera

In reply to: Fujifilm Camera

sorry- finepix Z 20,loaded cz version 5.5 for windows. one note-sp2 was just installed about 3 weeks ago if that makes any difference.
thanks, charlie

Collapse -
Fujifilm Z20

In reply to: Fujifilm Camera

SP2 should not make a difference.

It sounds like your camera to computer hook-up is working.

That camera does not need any drivers on your computer.
You don't really need the software that came with the camera.

Use "My Computer" or "Windows Explorer" to look at the hard drives on your computer.
With the camera connected properly, you should see a new hard drive.
That new hard drive is your camera's memory card.

You can use drag and drop to download any or all the photos from the camera to the computer.

Try that and see if it works.

If you have a card reader on your computer, you can insert your camera's memory card into that card reader.
That way, you do not even have to connect the camera to the computer.
The computer will see the card reader (with memory card) as being a new hard drive.

Let us know what you find.

Collapse -
Fujifilm Z20

In reply to: Fujifilm Z20

ok, with the camera connected via usb I see no new hard drive listed. The camera monitor shows " USB" and that's it. I tried a different usb port but nothing changes. I still get the **** when the camera is connected or is powered on. Thanks

Collapse -
Fujifilm Z20

See if this helps:

Make sure that the camera is in playback mode.

Playback mode is when you have the camera set so that you can view the pictures on the LCD.

Wondering

If any USB circuits are working on your computer.
Do you have any devices connected to the computer USB?
....such as a printer or something else.

Are you connecting the camera to the USB through a hub?
Fujifilm user manual said not to connect through a hub.

Collapse -
Fujifilm Z20

Camera is in playback mode. I can scroll through all the pictures when it is not connected to the computer.
I went into the device mgr. and checked all USB ports and they all said working properly and no better updates could be found. I see a 'still digital camera' on the USB 2.0 root hub.I have a printer and an ipod connected using other USB ports,working properly. I am connected directly to a USB port on the computer- no hub.
I reinstalled finepix viewer and there is no camera displayed. It seems to work ok otherwise- I can retrieve pix from other folders.
I am wondering about the memory card-but I can view all pix when disconnected. I see the camera works on my son's laptop running vista. 'camera' is shown on my computer but we don't even have to go there, it transfers pix automatically.

Collapse -
Fujifilm Z20

If the camera is working on a different computer, it is not a camera problem.

If your other USB ports are functioning, it is not your computer.

That leaves the Finepix Viewer software.

I don't have that software, so I can not be of any help there.

I suggest you remove Finepix Viewer and buy a card reader.
About $20 at any store that sells digital cameras.
Make sure that the reader can handle your type of memory card.

I have a number of different digital cameras.
I have not installed any of the software programs that came with the cameras.
I never connect a camera to my computer.
A card reader makes the whole process simpler.

I copy one days photographs to a folder that contains the date and a short description.
i.e. Fuji20080701Disneyland
That folder is inside a folder called "Cameras".

Collapse -
If your other USB ports are functioning, it is not your comp

I kind of disagree- if the camera works on the other computer and it does not have finepix viewer installed, it must be my computer,something other than usb. It doesn't work with or without finepix installed. But like you say, the card reader is the best sol'n.
Thanks for your time and effort- you guys at cnet are the best!
sincerely, cfuss247

Collapse -
A Thought

In reply to: If your other USB ports are functioning, it is not your comp

If your computer is a Dell, there could be a reason for your problem.

There have been reports that Dell computers sometimes have a problem with USB devices that draw a good bit of power.

It is usually associated with a USB scanner that does not have its own power supply.

The fix is to use an external "powered" hub.
That means a hub that receives it power from a wall plug.

Collapse -
A Thought

In reply to: A Thought

I think you may be right. I did a cursory check on the Dell forum and saw a few examples of usb/ powered usb situations. I think I will go the card reader route as it saves camera battery power, etc and I can use it for other apps.
Thanks for your time and effort, Charlie

Collapse -
No drivers for Windows 10 yet!!

In reply to: fuji finepix cant upload pix

I have a fugifilm camera model AX500 nowhere is there drivers for Windows 10. I have been in communication with their tech department for almost a week. They have informed me that the drivers aren't available yet.
Give me a break, didn't they know months ago that Windows 10 would be available soon. They should have been working on it long ago. I would have bought a different camera if I had have known this.

Collapse -
There are only so many programmers today.

In reply to: No drivers for Windows 10 yet!!

And everyone wants it now. For now I continue to use a SD Card reader.

Collapse -
Yes Bob.

In reply to: There are only so many programmers today.

I use the 9 in 1 on my desktop and also one in my printer. I have a Fuji camera and no probs by usb on Win 7.
Dafydd.

Collapse -
Just tripped over a PTP to drive letter app

In reply to: Yes Bob.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.