Windows Legacy OS forum

Resolved Question

FTP server on xp professional

by tmansoorr / January 15, 2012 6:00 PM PST

hi everyone,

I work for a small company and currently working on ftp server on xp professional just wondering if i can get some help from you guys.

1.is xp professional good for ftp server?
2.how to creat an ftp drop box where users can upload files but unable to see other contents and how to enable everyone can see content on company computers.

3. how to convert the ftp://ip.ip.ip.ip
formate into a URL? So user can type the url rather the ip adress.

i have setup the server , played around with permissions, but still unable to upload files to the drop box.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

tmansoorr has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: FTP server on xp professional
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: FTP server on xp professional
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by tmansoorr

Collapse -
Just find a free FTP server
by Jimmy Greystone / January 15, 2012 10:21 PM PST

Just find a free FTP sever (IIS should be avoided at all costs for security reasons) and set it up so that users have execute and write permissions to the directory you want to use as a drop box. Execute permissions on a directory just means that you can open it. Some FTP servers come with this sort of permission scheme already "built in" you just need to point it at a directory.

If you want to convert the ftp://123.456.789.012 into something like ftp://ftp.myserver.com then you'll need to pay for a domain name, then link that to a static IP attached to the server system. You could use the HOSTS file, and this would probably be the first time I've seen someone here suggest using it for its actual intended purpose. Of course every individual unit connecting to the network would need to have its HOSTS file modified appropriately, and that would get pretty unweildly pretty fast.

As for XP Pro being a good FTP server, that depends largely on the specs of the system and how many people will be using it at any given time. So, if we're talking say an old Pentium 4 with 1GB of RAM, not really doing anything but being an FTP server... You might be able to handle 5-10 simultaneous connections without too much difficulty. The better the specs the more connections you could probably handle, but XP does have a lot of unnecessary overhead when you think about how much you could strip down Linux or FreeBSD for a headless dedicated server. If you're talking probably fewer than 20-30 simultaneous connections, and have a reasonably "modern" system running XP, it's probably fine. Once you start going beyond that though, you probably want to look at other options.

Collapse -
Accessing the site
by tmansoorr / January 16, 2012 6:49 PM PST

thanks kees, and jimmy it did work what you guys said.

Collapse -
Generally speaking
by Jimmy Greystone / January 16, 2012 9:23 PM PST
In reply to: Accessing the site

Generally speaking, the FTP clients in web browsers is pretty limited, and also limited to downloading only. If you want to upload files via a web browser, then you'll need to get into web programming, or it might be possible to find a web interface for whatever FTP server you're using, so then all you need is to set up a web server and probably PHP (WAMP will make that rather simple). Otherwise, you'll probably need to start looking around for web apps that let you upload files.

Had you said you wanted to use a web browser from the start, we could have saved some time.

I will say that all versions of Windows should come with the command line version of the FTP client. It's about as no frills as you can possibly get, because it basically came along for the ride when Microsoft took the FreeBSD TCP/IP stack to make Winsock. If you open a command prompt and type in "ftp" you'll probably be surprised to find a program loads.

Collapse -
hi jimmy
by tmansoorr / January 17, 2012 10:32 PM PST
In reply to: Generally speaking

i Would agree with you on that, the only browser that let me upload files to the dropbox on my server is internet explorer.

so first i used IIS, I could only upload files to the site through IE. While chrome and firefox didn't let me instead they tried to open the file in the browser.

so i tried another server filezilla, and i have exactly the same problem.

i think i'm gonna go back to IIS, Re-do it (if you would prefer it over filezilla?) , ask the client to use IE, to upload their files.

and untill then i'll work on web programming idea , i did some programming back at uni but long time now so any ideas where to get started will be appreciated. let say if you were in my position let say an intermediate level programmer where will you start from?:)

looking forward to hearing from you again

thanks

Collapse -
Again, AVOID IIS
by Jimmy Greystone / January 18, 2012 10:15 PM PST
In reply to: hi jimmy

Again, AVOID IIS like a diseased leper with the plague! Unless you REALLY know what you're doing, and even then it's kind of sketchy, IIS is a massive security risk. It's also a Microsoft product, so there's a very good chance there are a lot of "advanced" features which will only work with Internet Explorer.

There are likely a number of web interfaces for programs like FileZilla Server if you look around. They will take care of all the back end machinations needed to upload a file. Then if you're interested in modifying it or maybe making your own, you can pick apart the code and see how it was done, then use those ideas in your own. Assuming it's under some kind of open source license.

Collapse -
I absolutly
by tmansoorr / January 19, 2012 3:48 AM PST
In reply to: Again, AVOID IIS

loved your idea jimmy, definitely going to play with the code:)

Collapse -
Answer
Re: ftp server
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 15, 2012 6:57 PM PST

You need to use either IIS or a third party ftp server program. And you need to do it carefully and right.

A few links from googling FTP SERVER XP:
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1491
http://www.wikihow.com/Set-up-an-Ftp-Server-on-Windows-Xp-Professional
There are many more.

Typing the url in stead of the ip-address requires that you define it either in all users hosts-file or in your DNS-server.

Uploading files is done from the client, not from the server. So you must provide the users with an ftp-client that does what you want, such as presenting a drop box.

Kees

Collapse -
re: FTP server on xp professional
by tmansoorr / January 15, 2012 8:46 PM PST
In reply to: Re: ftp server

great, thanks kees.

well i'm trying to access the server which is on xp at work, while i have windows vista h.premium.
which unfortunatly doesnt come with ftp client.

however i installed Internet information systems and its other program like management console, and scription etc and all the provided ones but couldnt not see the ftp client.

so lets say if someone wanna upload files to the server they must have ftp client installed or ftp services installed?

that would mean i have to go and configure the internal servers or pc for all the 20 clients?

and what if they have different servers and OS, installed?

once again thanks for your help , sorry i'm not very good with technology and networking any help will be appreciated.

Collapse -
Re: ftp client
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 19, 2012 4:14 AM PST

To communicate with an ftp server, you need a ftp client. Windows comes with a command line version (simply called ftp).

Filezilla (also has a server), Fireftp (a Firefox addon) and WinSCP are well known free ones with a GUI for Windows. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_FTP_client_software lists even more. Choose the one you like.

Kees

Collapse -
HERE I GO AGAIN...knock knock:)
by tmansoorr / February 7, 2012 10:32 PM PST
In reply to: Re: ftp client

OK guys this is a long story but i'll try make it sweet and simple:)All i wanted to create ftp server where users can drop files/data without viewing the contents.the trouble with filezilla is if i enable just read and write it it wont let the user access the server at all and if i give them 'list' permission it shows all the contents.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.