Linux forum

General discussion

FTP Installation

by Chief Jim / February 24, 2004 10:40 AM PST

I'm currently using Mandrake 9.2. I have another machine with which I'd like to evaluate SuSE on. However I read the only "free" download edition is via FTP.

Would appreciate it if someone could guide me as to how to proceed. So far my experience is loading ISO CD's.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: FTP Installation
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: FTP Installation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:FTP Installation
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2004 11:11 AM PST
In reply to: FTP Installation

The free ISO's are over at http://www.linuxiso.org/

I have both MD 9.0 and Suse 9.0 here. The Suse is only slightly different. In the setup I chose, only a little tweak here or there, but to tell the truth, one is too much like the other.

Suse has more polish on the interface...

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:FTP Installation
by Anthony J Moulen / February 24, 2004 10:45 PM PST
In reply to: Re:FTP Installation

It should be noted that what is over at linuxiso is an FTP installer CD, not the actual full ISOs for SUSE. SUSE does not release their ISOs for general use and sharing. They include many packages which they can not freely redistribute in that manner and they choose not to build a separate set of ISOs just for that purpose.

So for FTP install, you can download that ISO which should give you a fairly easy process to do the install over FTP. Just make sure you have a good connection to the internet.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:FTP Installation
by Chief Jim / February 25, 2004 4:20 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Re:FTP Installation

Good connection is assured. My D/L is in excess of 5500 Kbps.

Install is asking for a FTP address but I don't see where that is. Unless it is automatic but failing because I connect via a router.

Collapse -
by Chief Jim / February 25, 2004 4:58 AM PST

The page shouldn't have reloaded. I tried to refresh the screen and it resent the last page

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:FTP Installation
by Chief Jim / February 25, 2004 4:56 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Re:FTP Installation

Good connection is assured. My D/L is in excess of 5500 Kbps.

Install is asking for a FTP address but I don't see where that is. Unless it is automatic but failing because I connect via a router.

Collapse -
by Chief Jim / February 25, 2004 8:09 AM PST

Figured it out. Download now in progress. Even with a fast connection it will likely take all night. After almost 2 hours I'm at 17%. So glad I have cable!

Collapse -
Re:Re:FTP Installation
by Chief Jim / February 26, 2004 7:27 AM PST
In reply to: Re:FTP Installation

As I begin this reply I'm curious as to how much difference there is between Mandrake 9.0 and 9.2.

Even with my speedy Internet connection it took hours to complete the installation download. Not so sure it was worth the effort.

SuSE is a fine product. But ease of use is in the eye of the beholder. Seeing as how I was raised on Mandrake I use that as my point of reference. As a result I find the SuSE download a big disappointment. Took way too long compared to the Mandrake ISO's. And for this advanced newbie I found it glitzy but not exactly user friendly. Navigation in MDK 9.2 simply makes more sense.

If any distribution has earned enough respect for me to purchase a set rather than use the download edition it is Mandrake. Chances are though I'll wait until 10.0 is released so as to gain the latest and the greatest.

Now the key question will be should I try others????

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!