Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Ftdisk Error

Hi everyone,
I have an Insignia D400A running a fresh install of everything. I formatted my disk NTFS. Running Windows XP Home SP2, Pentium 4 processor 2.8 GHz, I GIG RAM. I have a problem. Sometimes - and it only happens when I am away from the computer - it will restart and I notice it when it is at the welcome screen, but it is locked. The computer doesn't respond to any keyboard commands, the mouse doesn't move. I have to press and hold the power button to get the thing to shut off. Then I have to let the computer sit off for about 10 minutes for it to start up again. If I try and start it before this 10 minute time period, it doesn't boot up just the lights come on on the tower and that is it. I have a Microsoft laser mouse and that doesn't light up.
When I boot up the computer, I checked the event manager and the only thing recorded is an error message "Source: Ftdisk...Configuring the Page file for crash dump failed. Make sure there is a page file on the boot partition and that is large enough to contain all physical memory" I click the link and get the message "Sorry there is no additional information for this error message."
Now, I have a 160 Gig hard disk and I am only using about 11% of this disk with files. After the fresh install, the Page File was set with a custom size, so I changed it to a System Managed File. I did this change after the first time this happened. The computer has rebooted to the locked sign on screen twice since the change.
Does anyone have any ideas what is wrong with the machine?
Thanks for your replies and help on this.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ftdisk Error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ftdisk Error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I might have an answer for this...

In reply to: Ftdisk Error

Before I posted this, I googled Ftdisk, and got no answers...then after I posted, I googled Event ID 49. I found an answer and it suggests setting the Pagefile to a custom size. When I get home tonight, I will change my Pagefile setting to a custom size which is the Min 1.5 x the installed RAM, and a Max of 3 times that. The OP System limit is 4 GIG.
So, that will be my Pagefile settings:
Min 3 GIG
Max 4 GIG
Does anyone have any suggestions?? I do have an external hard drive that is 250 GIG and I have a little less than 1/2 free space, BUT major freespace on the hard disk C:.
Can I set two Pagefiles???

Collapse -
This didn't work...

In reply to: I might have an answer for this...

I changed the Pagefile to a min of 1522 and a max of 3072. Plus I turned off the memory dump. 20 minutes later, I came back to the machine and it had gone into a sleep mode type thing, but it isn't in sleep mode. I turned that off.
Does anyone have any ideas??
Thanks for your replies.

Collapse -
Ok, that fresh install. Did it include SP2, drivers for ...

In reply to: Ftdisk Error

Motherboard? If not or if the drive cable is dinged you see these errors.

Bob

Collapse -
um...Yes it is Windows XP SP2

In reply to: Ok, that fresh install. Did it include SP2, drivers for ...

I did all the Windows updates.
I didn't install the drivers from the Restore DVD because I found updated drivers on the web. The drivers I got from the web were for the processor and video driver. I did notice an improvement in the video once I upgraded that. I just put the disc in and it has drivers for:
845 Chipset Installation
845 USB2
845_Audio
845_LAN
845_Video
Creative Modem
Intel Application Accelerator
Media Reader.

I unplugged the media reader cards and the two 'handy' front USB ports because I was getting this error message in my system tray that a drive connected to the system had malfunction. I clicked the window and it opened up this window showing my USB connections. This error message stopped when I took those out.
I will run the driver programs and install them (except for the video) and the media readers.
I will even run the modem one even though I am hooked up to the internet via LAN and DSL.
Thanks, for the reply. Happy

Collapse -
It is still locking up.

In reply to: um...Yes it is Windows XP SP2

Hi there, I updated all the drivers, and the computer locked up again. I will check the drive cables, but what do you mean by dinged?
Thanks

Collapse -
Our i845 based machine is now over 3 years old.

In reply to: It is still locking up.

I wonder if this is some older machine. You'll see these lockups on machines that are older and haven't been dusted out. You'll also see the BAD CAPS issue too. Here's a link so you can look for that. -> http://www.badcaps.net/ Look at the pictures, look at your machine.

There are many hardware issues for this as well as pests, spyware and more. The only clues I have so far is the i845 chipset age and you reloaded XP (but you didn't tell why.)

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: Our i845 based machine is now over 3 years old.

I will pick up some air stuff and blow out the machine tonight. I had the casing open after the reload to put in the new cable for the new DVD-RAM I picked up & I looked at the board and didn't see any blown capacitors. The DVD-RAM was put in a week before the reload.
I reloaded the Windows XP and started new because it is old (3 years in February). I wanted to start fresh & it had those USB ports on front/side and Media Card readers in place of a floppy. Before the reload - I would get error messages about a malfunction drive in my system tray and it was one of those Media Card readers. These error messages appeared after the reload and I unplugged them.
This locking up issue was not happening until I did the re-load though. Do you think maybe there is a BIOS issue? Maybe I should reset the BIOS?

Collapse -
Maybe a cooling fan issue???

In reply to: Our i845 based machine is now over 3 years old.

It is early in the morning here - really quiet. A few minutes after I replied to your caps issue; I heard the cooling fan cycle off. Is that a normal thing? I am still picking up the air to blow it out though tonight, I thought I would throw the fan thing out here for your thoughts.
Happy

Collapse -
Update to Ftdisk error

In reply to: Maybe a cooling fan issue???

I pulled off the side panel, blew out the insides & left the cover off. The machine hasn't locked up. I did notice though that the fan output from the power supply is really really slow - I think I need to replace the fan in the power supply.

Collapse -
i was going to say heat could be an issue

In reply to: Update to Ftdisk error

and that also a weakening power supply will cause this mysterious rebooting among other quirkyness. replace the fan after the air out and see, maybe??

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.