HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

FTC- $17,000 Bounty on "Rachel at Cardmember Services"

by James Denison / August 22, 2014 8:37 AM PDT
http://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2014/07/ftc-publishes-official-rules-zapping-rachel-robocall-contest

"In its ongoing efforts to eradicate robocallers like "Rachel From Cardholder Services," the Federal Trade Commission announced the official rules for its second robocall challenge, Zapping Rachel. The contest will be held at DEF CON 22 in Las Vegas Aug. 7-10, and offers participants $17,000 in cash prizes for open-source solutions to help build the next-generation robocall ********, circumvent or trick a ********, and analyze data from an existing ********."

I hope they finally get this person or persons for this particular robocaller. Today I got a call at home from my home phone number. "Hi, this is Rachel, calling for Card Member Services...."

I have blocked at least 10 of their numbers, so now this is what they do. Now I have my own home phone number on Block!

I hope someone shoots their phone lines out! I filed my complaint to all to the rest at FTC.gov site.

The more worrisome thing is if they keep using my phone number to call others in my area. I don't care to get a lot of phone calls yelling at "Rachel".
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: FTC- $17,000 Bounty on "Rachel at Cardmember Services"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: FTC- $17,000 Bounty on "Rachel at Cardmember Services"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
We were getting a lot of calls
by Diana Forum moderator / August 22, 2014 8:50 AM PDT

complaining about that at AT&T.

I discovered there are apps that will let you put in any phone number and make that the calling number.

All I could tell the customer was to block their home number. My home phone isn't even plugged in. I just listen to the voicemail about once a week. Most are hangups. I give out my home phone number to the people I don't want to talk to.

The only reason I keep it is because I've had it for 24 years and all my loyalty cards have that number. It would be weird if two people were running around with the same number on their cards.

Diana

Collapse -
Rachel has called here many times
by Steven Haninger / August 22, 2014 9:54 AM PDT

and she also has a lot of sisters who take over when she's busy. Most of the robocalls I'm getting lately, however, are directed at senior citizens. The second most common call begins, "Let the memories begin!". I believe it's a scam about my having won some vacation-of-a-lifetime contest. I've won it so many times that I'd never have to return home. Happy

Collapse -
If you see your doctor
by James Denison / August 22, 2014 10:42 AM PDT

and get prescribed for any medical device, next you'll start getting medical equipment calls.

Collapse -
A couple of calls I've gotten are for those med alert things
by Steven Haninger / August 22, 2014 11:53 AM PDT
In reply to: If you see your doctor

One of them claims to be from the shipping dept. and almost sounds legit. These same calls come almost every day. I've gotten to recognize them and hang up after the first couple of words. We've got some aged and sickly family out there so I do tend to answer more calls than I probably should. If I have any gripe, it's that I'm paying for a device that's become less useful to me and more useful to those wanting to find a way into my wallet.

Collapse -
that's why my home phone is
by James Denison / August 23, 2014 12:43 AM PDT

a Magic Jack Plus. Just add it to my router and do VOIP. Added cost is less than $50 a year. Rings 5 phones in the house since I disconnected my line to outside copper line and now use my internal wiring for a 4 radio base station phone system and to a standard phone. Since it's all over fiber optic cable, I've never had better phone service in my life. Electrical storms don't mess up comms on the optical cable like it did on copper lines.

Collapse -
I have a few numbers marked DNA1, 2...
by drpruner / August 25, 2014 4:42 AM PDT

(My phone doesn't block). Someone says that a legal action has been filed against me for 'offenses associated with my SSN' and that if I don't reply I will be subpoenaed, in which case 'I have have lost my legal rights'!
It sounds legit in a way; I feel sorry for those who bite. 'First, we'll need your SSN.' (Then how do you know 'action was filed against it?')
After a 'countdown to legal Armageddon' of 3 or 4 days they give up- only to come back later from another number.

Collapse -
JW's have SSN?
by James Denison / August 25, 2014 1:16 PM PDT

I thought that sect refused to have one? Or maybe that's the Amish?

Collapse -
When we sign up they give us a fake one.
by drpruner / August 26, 2014 10:48 AM PDT
In reply to: JW's have SSN?

We use it to take jobs away from Americans.

Collapse -
(NT) Had two more calls yesterday, now in Spanish.
by drpruner / August 26, 2014 10:49 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.