Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Ft. Myers HS band can't march in London parade

by Angeline Booher / April 2, 2006 4:45 AM PDT
FORT MYERS, Florida (AP) -- School officials in southwest Florida said terrorism concerns led them to keep a high school band from marching in a London parade, but now angry British officials are telling travelers that Fort Myers is no safe haven, either.

Local tourism officials fear the dispute could cost Lee County millions in tourism dollars, and even Florida Gov. Jeb Bush has commented, saying, "Perhaps the superintendent is being overly cautious in this regard."

District administrators nixed the trip in early March, citing the threat of terrorism in Europe -- especially the 2005 terrorist bombing of London's city buses and subway system, which killed 52 people.

On Friday, London parade officials released a statement to the News-Press of Fort Myers, warning British travelers about the city's crime and homicide rates, Lee County's record number of traffic deaths in 2005 and that the "entire area is prone to catastrophic hurricanes."

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TRAVEL/04/02/tourism.dispute.ap/index.html

I suspect that those kids worked hard to raise money for the trip. There was no mention in the article about how the parents feel.

One never really knows how one would react when faced with that decision, but I think I would feel London was probably safer than it had been in years due to increased security.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ft. Myers HS band can't march in London parade
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ft. Myers HS band can't march in London parade
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's absolutely absurd.
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / April 2, 2006 6:44 AM PDT

Have they cancelled all student travel to New York City or Washington DC? Those are both much higher up the terrorist target list, I;d think!

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
I'm sure lots of trips got cancelled..
by EdH / April 2, 2006 7:39 AM PDT

to NY and DC in the wake of 9/11. Maybe it's an overreaction, but if something DID happen it would be a different story.

Very hard to protect marchers in a parade, and Americans would be a tempting target. Hardly "absurd".

Collapse -
DC murder capital
by Dragon / April 2, 2006 9:21 AM PDT
DC IS AGAIN 'MURDER CAPITAL', NEW STUDY SHOWS
- District had Highest Big-City Murder Rate in 2002
- DC Murder Rate Soared as Other Cities Saw Decline

Anyway, I think Europe, after the recent attacks, are a lot more sensitive security-wise these days, and are acting accordingly to beef up security.

I think the high school over-reacted. On the other hand, schools are so afraid that something can happen that they don't allow anything. Recent conversations mentioned not even allowing kids to have recess, much less play tag. Kind of reminds me of the PC crowd, gone amok.
Collapse -
Lots of domestic trips have been cancelled ...
by Evie / April 2, 2006 10:22 AM PDT

... to NYC. Not as sure about DC.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?