Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Frustation in Moving Folders to new drive or location

I have 3 hard drives in my pc, and have been trying to move files and folders from one location to another. I do a Cut/Paste and XP starts to move my folders, showing that it will take say, 1 hour to complete.

I come back an hour later and find that after a few files have been moved, the process paused because it ran into some "Read Only" or ".exe" file and it asks me if I really want to move it. This happens almost every time I move a bunch of folders.

Is there some way to tell XP when you try to "Cut/Paste" not to keep stopping and asking if you really want to move certain of the files?

Jim Smith

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Frustation in Moving Folders to new drive or location
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Frustation in Moving Folders to new drive or location
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
a 'workaround' that may help

In reply to: Frustation in Moving Folders to new drive or location

instead of Cut/Paste, try a simple Copy, then delete the original

jonah

Collapse -
Tried that, too

In reply to: a 'workaround' that may help

Thanks for your suggestion, but I have the same problem with a Copy/Paste (with or without a delete from original location when done) as I do with a Cut/Paste. With the folders I chose to move or copy, the same thing happens if it finds certain file types.

Collapse -
Nope

This is what you get with "user friendly" and "easy to use" software. Both of those translate into fewer options and less control. There's no force method like you had with command line tools.

You're stuck babysitting, at least until you run into the first instance of a read-only or similar file, at which point you can hit the "Yes to all" button.

Collapse -
I was afraid of that

In reply to: Nope

Thanks for your reply. I was afraid there was no way around this anoying problem.

Collapse -
Why not TOTAL COPY?

In reply to: I was afraid of that

Collapse -
I was going to suggest that

In reply to: Why not TOTAL COPY?

But I think some security update for XP broke it a long time ago. I've gotten similar results on multiple systems, with the only real common thread being they were running fully patched copies of XP. Sadly, this great little utility program seems to be abandoned, and it doesn't appear any source code was ever released.

There's apparently a similar program called Real Total Copy, but it appears to require the .NET Framework, so seems more trouble than it's worth unless the .NET Framework is already installed for some other purpose.

Collapse -
Real Total Copy

In reply to: I was going to suggest that

I found Real Total Copy v3.0 (But not on CNET) by searching. I am reluctant to try it. The download site didn't show a single review. I think I will avoid trying it for now. But thanks for mentioning it.

Collapse -
What about doing the copy/move from Command line?

would that work or will you still run into the questions??

Collapse -
That where I was going next

In reply to: What about doing the copy/move from Command line?

Collapse -
Haven't tried that yet

In reply to: What about doing the copy/move from Command line?

I have been using Windows since Win98 (Switched from Mac back then) - but never got familiar with using the Command line. I will ask my son, who knows all about that to show me next time I try to move things. Thanks for your suggestion.

Collapse -
It would be useful to know.....

why you want to move "read only" and .exe files.

Moving .exe files would probably make the programs/applications they refer to unusable, and moving "read only" usually means System files, or other files that should not be moved.

Are you hoping to move your OS to another drive?

Mark

Collapse -
These ".exe" files aren't in my program folder

In reply to: It would be useful to know.....

I have been moving things from one drive to another, but these ".exe" files are just some programs that I save a copy of in my "Downloads" folder. I replaced my "C" drive recently, and reloaded Windows and all my programs. (Incidentally, I did that after I couldn't find the cause of my PC running super slow. If I clicked on say, IE - it often waited over a minute before anything happened. I had all XP updates, and Ran several Spyware and Virus check programs but nothing was found. Reloading Windows fixed my problems and everything runs fast now).

Collapse -
Moving files in XP

It sounds like you are trying to use the clipboard facilities to move large amounts of data. It was designed as a repository of small amounts of data to cut/copy paste and will be very inefficient for large amounts of data. Try using xp's drag and drop features. You might also consider defragmenting your hard drive. A badly fragmented drive will give you very long file transfer times.

Collapse -
Thanks, but have done that, too

In reply to: Moving files in XP

I often use "Drag and Drop" to copy or move. It seems to take the same amount of time as a copy/cut and then a paste. I regularly de-frag my drives, and it is not the speed of the copy that I had a problem with; it was the fact that everything stopped - waiting for my response when certain file types were encountered.

I have finished moving things around on my drives, and I thank everyone for their suggestions.

Collapse -
Not really

In reply to: Moving files in XP

Without getting into the programming jargon, suffice it to say when you cut and paste files, all you're really doing is creating a scripted action. All Explorer does is copy the full path and file name of the files you wanted to copy/move to the clipboard. Trying to do that with the entire file(s) would simply not be feasible for anything over a few hundred K. And even if there weren't issues with keeping all that in memory, it would be a needless waste of CPU cycles.

And fragmentation levels will have little to no effect on the amount of time it takes. Modern drive mechanics are more than enough to compensate for the worst fragmentation rates. The problem stems more from the absolutely atrocious disk I/O speeds of Windows. If you compare the amount of time it takes to move two identical sets of files in Windows and Linux, you'll see what I mean. Linux will win quite handily. The other problem is the ~10X difference in speed between the hard drive interface and the rest of the computer, at the peak theoretical performance rate. Fragmentation is as nothing compared to those two things.

Collapse -
Depends on the files being moved

One person transferred all his WINXP files out of C: Drive and put them in D:. He could no longer access his files nor even sign on.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.