General discussion

Frozen touchpad

Feb 17, 2006 9:40AM PST

Greetings. I have an Acer 2312 laptop running WXP. The cursor can not be moved by the touchpad. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the touchpad and its drivers several times wih no success. Device manager tells me everything is just fine. The cursor responds normally to my wireless mouse so I can live without the touchpad but I don't feel comfortable when something malfunctions; particularly when I don't know what caused the glitch.I have searched the sites of Acer and Symantic and found no useful information.If anyone has a clue on what the solution Is I wouldmuch appreciate hearing from you. stewart

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Frozen touchpad
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Frozen touchpad
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
If you are also using a wireless mouse.....
Feb 17, 2006 9:55AM PST

...maybe the touchpad has been disabled or turned off - although device manager detects it as working OK ? You have not mentioned whether you have tried to turn it on or off - it has to be turnrd off - manually or automatically - if you are using an external mouse.

- Collapse -
Io Papa Echo.
Feb 17, 2006 10:38AM PST

Thanks for your response. I presume when you say turned off or on you are not meaning uninstall.In that case how does one usually turn touchpads on or off?
I suspected that there was some hidden switching somewhere but the megre so-called users manual that came with the laptop doesn't tell you much more than how to switch the laptop on and offHappy Thanks again for your response. Regards Stewart

- Collapse -
Eureka
Feb 17, 2006 11:46AM PST

OK.I solved the problem by removing the battery and adapter for about fifteen minutes in the hope that the keyboard BIOS would be reset to default. The touchpad now works so this is an easy fix for anyone with the same problem. Stewart

CNET Forums

Forum Info