PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Front Usb Ports Not Working On Sony Vaio Vgcrb44g Desktop Ru

Both my MP3 player (toshiba gigabeat) and HP Photosmart rb817 digital camera will not work when connected to either of the two front USB ports on my sony vaio VGC-RB44G comp running windows xp media center. I have connected them to the ports in the back and they work fine and are detected by device manager. Whenever I connect any device to these front USB ports device manager does not detect anything ... I have uninstalled and reinstalled the USB host controllers and usb hubs in device manager and tried the powering off and on of the devices in combination with restarting the computer and nothing is working...I read something about going into the BIOS setup to check the USB but I wasn't sure exactly what I was looking for - When I went to the USB Configuration the three options there were all enabled... I don't want to reach all the way back around my comp to plug in these devices since I will be doing it alot and I can't seem to get the front USB ports to work....any suggestions? drivers I need to install? Or do I need to take it to a computer repair place to fix this problem?? HELP!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Front Usb Ports Not Working On Sony Vaio Vgcrb44g Desktop Ru
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Front Usb Ports Not Working On Sony Vaio Vgcrb44g Desktop Ru
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Bad or un-connected cable to front USB?

In reply to: Front Usb Ports Not Working On Sony Vaio Vgcrb44g Desktop Ru

If there isn't an icon showing the devices as being bad than I would not do this again "uninstalled and reinstalled the USB host controllers and usb hubs in device manager".

You looked in the BIOS so as far as you can tell the USB is on. So that is okay.

Possible problem maybe the cable inside the case is not connected to the front USB ports. Open the case and look and if the front ports are not connected to the motherboard than you know that is the problem (openning the case may void warranty).

If the cable is there than it maybe bad. You may want to take it to a shop, but if you can use an OHM meter you can test it (not a job for a novice).

Or just get some USB extenders cable/adarter sets and just run them from the back to the front on the outside of the case.

Collapse -
Will try suggestions! ?'s on opening comp + USB extenders

In reply to: Bad or un-connected cable to front USB?

thanks! good info! I will an definately not a novice but am not an expert on computer hardware either so I wouldn't want to mess with an OHM meter (not sure what it is actually lol) and some other ppl on forums said I should check if the USB cables are connected to the motherboard - I don't have any more warranty on the PC so not prob there, I'm not sure I would exactly know what to look for though once I opened it up - I might be able to get my comp geek cousin to come over and 'supervise' my computer disection thought Happy And if the cable is there and connected then its probally bad so I need to get it replaced right? Is that expensive? USB extenders/adapters - that might be a good idea, havene't heard of 'em. So I plug one end of the adapter to one of my USB ports in the back and then set the adapter near the front of my comp so I can hook other USBs up without having to trying to get around to the back of my comp?

Collapse -
Glad to be of help.

In reply to: Will try suggestions! ?'s on opening comp + USB extenders

You asked, in regards to, USB extenders/adapters, "So I plug one end of the adapter to one of my USB ports in the back and then set the adapter near the front of my comp so I can hook other USBs up without having to trying to get around to the back of my comp?". Yes that is what I meant, just like an extension cords for AC power except they are USB (male to female). You also asked, "And if the cable is there and connected then its probably bad so I need to get it replaced right? Is that expensive?". Well I would think the USB extenders/ adapters would be the easiest path, but it's your call. I'm not sure what the cables cost because people keep giving them to me for Xmas, just as well I keep using them up. I think you could go to a Staples or CompUsa and get them, maybe even Walmart. Good luck.

Collapse -
okay thanks!

In reply to: Glad to be of help.

Okay thanks - I'm going to pop open my comp tonight and check if the USBs are connected inside and then maybe I'll just buy some extenders. Happy

Collapse -
Problem fixed! Cables were unplugged inside

In reply to: okay thanks!

I opened up my comp and low and behold the usb cable inside was not connected to the motherboard! I plugged it in and now its working great! YAH! thx 4 every1's help - problem solved!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.