Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Front pc case wire problems :-(

by dancon99 / January 29, 2009 9:06 AM PST

Hi, i wonder if anyone could answer a question for me please. I have just begun my build Today and all was going well, my motherboard with CPU and fan, DVD drive, Floppy drive, Hard drive, Graphics and Sound cards and all my cooling fans are all fitted to my case, however i am at a loss with where to put some cables that come from the front of my case. I looked at my motherboard manual but it does not seem to show any sockets for them.
What i have are two cables from i think front USB ports. I know there are two sockets for these on my motherboard, however they are all individual plugs and not just 1 connector.
The plugs are marked as follows with their colours in brackets - 1 +D (green wire), 1 -D(white wire), GND(black wire), VCC 1(red wire). The second wire is the same but the number 2 instead of 1. I think these will be for the motherboard sockets USB1 and USB2, but as i only have 4 single pin plugs on each cable and the USB sockets have 9 pins, i do not know which pins to use and as i said earlier my motherboard manual does not seem to tell me either.
Another wire i have from the front of my case has 7 individual pinned plugs. They are as follows - GND(black), SPKOUT R(red), SPKOUT L(white), RETURN L(yellow), RETURN R (blue), MIC-BIAS(orange), MIC-IN(green). Are these for my sound card? if so where can i find out which pins are for each plug. My sound card only has 4 pins anyway so they would not all fit.
I know it may be hard to know what i am talking about without actually seeing it for for yourself but I hope someone can help me with this problem. Oh incase this helps my motherboard is GIGABYTE GA-945GCM-S2L and case is Duke Prism 500. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Front pc case wire problems :-(
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Front pc case wire problems :-(
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
They're for what you guessed . . .
by Coryphaeus / January 29, 2009 6:58 PM PST

but only if your motherboard has the connectors, some don't. If your motherboard does not have those connectors you just store the wires. The board manual should have a picture of the board showing all ports. If the USB and speaker are not shown, just store the cables.

Collapse -
how does that work
by dancon99 / January 29, 2009 7:58 PM PST

By storing the wires would this just mean that the front 2 USB ports i would be unable to use them, if so thats fine, i could live with that, however how would that effect sound. Would that just mean i only have the onboard motherboard sound connection for my speakers. Thanks

Collapse -
It should be obvious
by darkzenlord / January 30, 2009 1:18 AM PST
In reply to: how does that work

The USB line (typically grey) will terminate on the board where your USB header is, (typically blue). It sounds like you are saying that there is no actual connector, rather you have individual pin outs? I have not seen that in my PC building. Also where did you say the other cable was coming from?

Typically there is one header (combined next to each other)(aka connections) for your power, reset, and HDD. Please tell me you got that plugged in correctly. Or else you might have a problem turning your pc on.

As far as more or less pins for your connectors (perhaps don't match up), happens all the time and is normal. Not all this stuff was made for each other and to have the front audio connector a 6 pin and your sound card a 4 pin can be quite annoying, but nonetheless, this is a custom built system. You will have to learn everything you can from this.

Please let me know those things and will get back to you.

Collapse -
Need The Pinout Diagram
by sunwatcher / January 30, 2009 9:01 AM PST

I have a similar setup, with individual wires from the front panel attaching to a connector on the Abit mainboard. My manual has the pinout diagram for the connector, so it's strange that yours doesn't. There will be four wires for each USB port (data+, data-, ground and voltage), so in total eight wires to the connector. The ninth won't be used. Unfortunately you'll have to do some research to find the pinouts on your board. You'll want to have those USB connectors hooked up if just for the convenience.

As for the front panel sound wires - if you don't have onboard sound, then it's fine to leave this unconnected; it won't affect your soundcard. The four pins on the sound card are usually (and probably) for the connection from a CD/DVD ROM device for routing CD music directly to the card, but this isn't normally needed either.

Collapse -
Found The Manual...
by sunwatcher / January 30, 2009 9:25 AM PST

A simple search turned up your manual here. It appears that all of the onboard connectors are shown, so you'll just need to download the manual and attach connectors appropriately.

For the first USB port, it's

Vcc1 to pin 1 (Power 5v)
1-D to pin 3 (USB DX-)
1+D to pin 5 (USB DX+)
GND to pin 7 (GND)

and repeat for the second USB port to pins 2, 4, 6 and 8.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!