Speakeasy forum

General discussion

from The Economist : Unhappy America

The Economist is a London based publication which started in 1843. My relative in Germany sent me this article this morning. Yes, the beginning of it (which I have posted below) starts out rather depressingly, but it does acquire a lighter heart as it goes on. I found some of the ideas presented here as valuable insights worthy of posting here for your consideration.

If America can learn from its problems, instead of blaming others, it will come back stronger

NATIONS, like people, occasionally get the blues; and right now the United States, normally the world?s most self-confident place, is glum. Eight out of ten Americans think their country is heading in the wrong direction

One source of angst is the sorry state of American capitalism (see article). The ?Washington consensus? told the world that open markets and deregulation would solve its problems. Yet American house prices are falling faster than during the Depression, petrol is more expensive than in the 1970s, banks are collapsing, the euro is kicking sand in the dollar?s face, credit is scarce, recession and inflation both threaten the economy, consumer confidence is an oxymoron and Belgians have just bought Budweiser, ?America?s beer?.

The article has much to say, in a fairly concise and succinct read. Part of it's positive spin is that it goes on to say...

"America has got into funks before now. In the 1950s it went into a Sputnik-driven spin about Soviet power; in the 1970s there was Watergate, Vietnam and the oil shocks; in the late 1980s Japan seemed to be buying up America. Each time, the United States rebounded, because the country is good at fixing itself. Just as American capitalism allows companies to die, and to be created, quickly, so its political system reacts fast. In Europe, political leaders emerge slowly, through party hierarchies; in America, the primaries permit inspirational unknowns to burst into the public consciousness from nowhere."

Considering the rise of European wealth and the growing influence of the EU, I think it is enlightening that they (well, at least some of them) still seem to look to us to be positive leaders in the world.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: from The Economist : Unhappy America
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: from The Economist : Unhappy America
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You are obviously unhappy along with your liberal brethren,

In reply to: from The Economist : Unhappy America

but I think America outside the beltway is not particularly unhappy at all. It is hilarious to observe people who think that Americans are looking to Europe for anything let alone an analysis of our view of the world.

Collapse -
It is so interesting that you are addressing the...

In reply to: You are obviously unhappy along with your liberal brethren,

... poster here, and that the fact that I posted it colors your view of what this article had to say. My relative in Germany who sent this ? He is a hard core conservative who voted for Bush and every other Republican candidate for the past 20 years.

Here is what my relative's take was on the opinions expressed by the article...

"I think this article goes a long way to putting in words what each of us know by heart: That it is not who is elected in November that will change the course of America?s fortunes but rather the strength of the will of her people that will secure our role as the hope of a weary world."

I am reminded of the time a few months ago, where you and I posted the same quote and the same viewpoint... and yet you spent the rest of the afternoon telling me how wrong I was. Really KP, you need to start at least comprehending what I post about, before you start railing against it.

Collapse -
What I said went over your head again didn't

In reply to: It is so interesting that you are addressing the...

it?

Collapse -
(NT) What you say bores me to tears.

In reply to: What I said went over your head again didn't

Collapse -

Pardon me.

I'm just keeping track re: who starts in on whom first. Will catch all that I see..

I'll be fair.

Sorry for the interruption.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
Good job KP !!!

In reply to: You are obviously unhappy along with your liberal brethren,

You're on the "List" !!!!!

Collapse -
Eight out of ten Americans think their country is heading in

the wrong direction

Hmmm. Well, seeing who is in the Congress and who is in the lead for the Presidency, I might tend to agree.

But actually I think it's a bunch of codswallop.
Collapse -
The Economist is available in the US

by subscription and on bigger news stands. I can recommend it because it is firmly in the capitalist camp, so its biases are on its sleeve; no hidden agenda. Covers a lot more than economics.

Collapse -
(NT) Maybe the 7 headed monster is returning.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.