Speakeasy forum

General discussion

From my inbox....For those who love their pets, but be prepared , it's a tear jerker

by MzLee / March 12, 2004 6:52 AM PST

How Could You

When I was a puppy, I entertained you with my antics and made you laugh. You called me your child and despite a number of chewed shoes and a couple of murdered throw pillows, I became your best friend.

Whenever I was "bad," you'd shake your finger at me and ask "How could you?"-- but then you'd relent and roll me over for a belly rub.

My housebreaking took a little longer than expected, because you were terribly busy, but we worked on that together. I remember those nights of nuzzling you in bed and listening to your confidences and secret dreams, and I believed that life could not be any more perfect.

We went for long walks and runs in the park, car rides, stops for ice cream (I only got the cone because "ice cream is bad for dogs" you said), and I took long naps in the sun waiting for you to come home at the end of the day.

Gradually, you began spending more time at work and on your career, and more time searching for a human mate. I waited for you patiently, comforted you through heartbreaks and disappointments, never chided you about bad decisions, and romped with glee at your homecomings, and when you fell in love.

She, now your wife, is not a "dog person" -- still I welcomed her into our home, tried to show her affection, and obeyed her. I was happy because you were happy.

Then the human babies came along and I shared your excitement. I was fascinated by their pinkness, how they smelled, and I wanted to mother them, too. Only she and! you worried that I might hurt them, and I spent most of my time banished to another room, or to a dog crate. Oh, how I wanted to love them, but I became a prisoner of love."

As they began to grow, I became their friend. They clung to my fur and pulled themselves up on wobbly legs, poked fingers in my eyes, investigated my ears, and gave me kisses on my nose. I loved everything about them and their touch -- because your touch was now so infrequent -- and I would've defended them with my life if need be. I would sneak into their beds and listen to their worries and secret dreams, and together we waited for the sound of your car in the driveway.

There had been a time, when others asked you if you had a dog, that you produced a photo of me from your wallet and told them stories about me. These past few years, you just answered "yes" and changed the subject. I had gone from being "your dog" to "just a dog," and you resented every expenditure on my behalf.

Now, you have a new career opportunity in another city, and you and they will be moving to an apartment that does not allow pets. You've made the right decision for your "family," but there was a time when I was your only family.

I was excited about the car ride until we arrived at the animal shelter.

It smelled of dogs and cats, of fear, of hopelessness. You filled out the paperwork and said "I know you will find a good home for her." They shrugged and gave you a pained look. They understand the realities facing a middle-aged dog, even one with "papers."

You had to pry your son's fingers loose from my collar as he screamed, "No, Daddy! Please don't let them take my dog!" And I worried for him, and what lessons you had just taught him about friendship and loyalty, about love and responsibility, and about respect for all life.

You gave me a good-bye pat on the head, avoided my eyes, and politely refused to take my collar and leash with you. You had a deadline to meet and now I have one, too. After you left, the two nice ladies said you probably knew about your upcoming move months ago and made no attempt to find me another good home. They shook their heads and asked "How could you?"

They are as attentive to us here in the shelter as their busy schedules allow. They feed us, of course, but I lost my appetite days ago.

At first, whenever anyone passed my pen, I rushed to the front, hoping it was you that you had changed your mind -- that this was all a bad dream... or I hoped it would at least be someone who cared, anyone who might save me.

When I realized I could not compete with the frolicking for attention of happy puppies, oblivious to their own fate, I retreated to a far corner and waited. I heard her footsteps as she came for me at the end of the day, and I padded along the aisle after her to a separate room. A blissfully quiet room.

She placed me on the table and rubbed my ears, and told me not to worry. My heart pounded in anticipation of what was to come, but there was also a sense of relief. The prisoner of love had run out of days.

As is my nature, I was more concerned about her. The burden which she bears weighs heavily on her, and I know that, the same way I knew your every mood.

She gently placed a tourniquet around my foreleg as a tear ran down her cheek. I licked her hand in the same way I used to comfort you so many years ago.

She expertly slid the hypodermic needle into my vein. As I felt the sting and the cool liquid coursing through my body, I lay down sleepily, looked into her kind eyes and murmured "How could you?"

Perhaps because she understood my dogspeak, she said "I'm so sorry." She hugged me, and hurriedly explained it was her job to make sure I went to a better place, where I wouldn't be ignored or abused or abandoned, or have to fend for myself --a place of love and light so very different from this earthly place.

And with my last bit of energy, I tried to convey to her with a thump of my tail that my "How could you?" was not directed at her. It was directed at you, My Beloved Master, I was thinking of you. I will think of you and wait for you forever. May everyone in your life continue to show you so much loyalty.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: From my inbox....For those who love their pets, but be prepared , it's a tear jerker
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: From my inbox....For those who love their pets, but be prepared , it's a tear jerker
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sent this to my son a while back
by Diana Forum moderator / March 12, 2004 7:26 AM PST

After my Snowflake died, I said that I didn't want to get another dog until I had a fenced yard and a new roof took priority.

In the meantime, my son got a puppy from the SPCA and took her home. He had her for a year and then moved to a place where he couldn't keep her. I took her in even though my home owner's insurance went up - she's Rott, Dobie and Pit Bull. She is a doll. I call her my vicious dog - she'll lick you to death. I've had her for three years now. It took six months before the cat figured out that she wasn't going to eat him. Now they get along.

I sent this to him and asked him what he would have done if I hadn't been there to take her in. I wasn't trying to be nasty. I was just trying to get it through his head that an animal is a long-term commitment.

Collapse -
You bet they are. They are one of the family and love you as much as anyone can......NT
by MzLee / March 12, 2004 7:35 AM PST

Collapse -
Re:You bet they are. They are one of the family and love you as much as anyone can......NT

Boy I could never do that to a perfectly healthy dog. there are other ways to place him in a home. I would take him in a minute.

George

Collapse -
Re: I know you warned us, but..... nt

Collapse -
Re:From my inbox....For those who love their pets, but be prepared , it's a tear jerker

i wish i didnt read this as im bawling:(
why did i read it as i figured out the ending(:

but thank you for the good cry

Collapse -
What a heartbreaking story - thanks for sharing :( NT

NT

Collapse -
Dogs and Babies.

About two million children are bitten by a dog each year in the U.S. Ninety percent of dog bites to children occur in the family home. Link

Google link about jealous dogs

Google link about children bitten by dogs

Dogs can be a danger to children! What parents should know:

1. Children under 15 years of age are the most common victims, making up approximately 70% of all dog bite victims.

2. Dog bites are a greater health problem for children than measles, mumps, and whooping cough combined.

3. Young boys between the ages of five and nine are the most frequent victims.

Collapse -
Wish they would have also included how many of those bites were do to teasing or abusing the pet and
by MzLee / March 12, 2004 7:53 PM PST
In reply to: Dogs and Babies.

also a comparison percentage of how many babies and childred are abused by their own parents.

Lee

Collapse -
Re:Dogs and Babies.
by Diana Forum moderator / March 12, 2004 11:11 PM PST
In reply to: Dogs and Babies.

When my kids were little, they used to push and pull and chase the dogs (Rotts and Gt Pyrs) and drag the cats around (frequently by their necks). I used to (still do come to think of it) encourage the animals to nip or scratch them to get them to stop. They never did.

I still remember a full grown male Rott tearing across the kitchen with this kid in a walker right behind him. Even the kittens being strangled while the kid dragged them around by their necks never touched the kids.

The cats even made sure there were no mice in the kids room even though they ignored the ones in the rest of the house. I got to set the traps for those.

Collapse -
And these are the many stories you don't hear about...just those James sent the link for....NT
by MzLee / March 13, 2004 12:25 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Dogs and Babies.

Collapse -
The other side needed telling. Many people who get rid of the dog often have valid reasons.

Often they have already seen behaviour that has alarmed them, sometimes they don't till it's too late. I had to put down a 3 year old dog, part Rottweiler, part Shepard, for attacking an 8yr old child in our home. There was no warning, everyone was sitting in chairs or on the floor watching a kid's movie on television. The dog got up for seemingly no reason and charged at the child, biting her on the head and neck. Lots of blood even as I was pulling him off her. The next day I had him put down. He had known this child since he was a puppy, she was over all the time playing with my daughters. Luckily the only scar is on her scalp, hidden under her hair.

Collapse -
I understand that
by Diana Forum moderator / March 13, 2004 7:54 AM PST

I won't have a dog that attack a child. I normally obedience train all my dogs.

I remember a girl friend and I got our dogs about the same time. I had a Malamute and she had an Old English.

This Malamute's father was put down for killing sheep before she was born and her mother was put down for going through rabbit cages and killing all the rabbits about a year later. I started training her the day I got her at 6 weeks. She never hurt a child (and all the kids in the neighborhood would brush her whenever I gave her a bath). She would get into fights but she never broke skin and I could pry her jaws off another dog's leg (usually mine) and she never even looked like she was going to bite me. She could be on a dead run after something and I never had to call her more than twice and she would turn around and come back. She didn't like men however - but she still didn't bite them.

This girl friend thought that obedience training was cruel. When her dog was four, he tried to take the face off a toddler when the baby picked a grape off the floor. He had to be put down. The next time I saw her, she had and Irish Woldfhound in obedience class at four months.

I did have a Dobie I couldn't trust around other people and had him put down.

Collapse -
Re:The other side needed telling. I agree with you James....

You had a part Rottweiler and Shepard. Boy thats a potent mixed breed. I had a German Shepard with a little Lab in him and still had keep close rein on him.

George

Collapse -
The next one was and is a collie from the Amish country area.

Very well tempered, 11 years old and healthy. Always good with children. Breed does make a difference in addition to training. I think that other dog had some mental problem. We suspected he had killed our cat which he had always let lay down with him and didn't seem to have a problem with. One day though I heard a commotion on the back deck and our cat was laying there with the dog resting, panting heavily in the corner of the deck. We took the cat inside and he died a few hours later, probably from internal injuries. We weren't sure the dog did it, no reason to, they always got along fine since he came home as a puppy. With his attack on the girl, there was no warning, it was just like something snapped for a moment and he was suddenly very different dog. If I hadn't witnessed it right in front of my own eyes I would not easily have believed it. Because of the attack and my worry I couldn't trust his mental state, I put him down. I've often wondered if he had something like schizophrenia that kicked in.

Collapse -
Re:The next one was and is a collie from the Amish country area.
by Rolway / March 13, 2004 9:07 AM PST

You could be right about that Rottweiler/Sheperd but its an unstable mix. Both breeds can turn vicious for know apparent reason. A Doberman is another one. Takes lots of training usally as a Guard Dog. Glad you got a Collie. nice family dog. Good farm dog too.

George

Collapse -
Nothing in this story ever referenced or even hinted that some don't have valid reasons....

this story's total context related only to the unnecessary killing of one's pet.

Lee

Collapse -
Re:Very sad but good story. It is a tear jerker alright (nt)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.