Speakeasy forum

General discussion

From my Inbox by Brandon Watts - about viruses

by SteveGargini / March 12, 2004 8:15 AM PST
http://www.lockergnome.com/about/staff.phtml#brandon

Let's talk about viruses. Hey - stop the booing! I'm sure that you have probably heard and read so much information about viruses bringing apocalyptic doom to everyone. It's true that there are some feisty little buggers out there, but knowledge is your key to prevention. The majority of people just still don't get it. An e-mail could invite itself into the inbox saying, "Attached to this message is a dangerous virus. Do not open it!" You know what would happen? We'd hear of several thousand people that opened the attachment anyway due to curiosity. It used to be a little easier to identify viruses, but now these rebels are getting smarter. I received a rather clever e-mail virus that I would like to discuss further with you.

The other day I encountered an e-mail from my Internet provider's support department. It told me that my e-mail account would be cut off in three days because they were getting rid of the vintage system that I was on, and were moving to a newer system. In order to be switched over I would have to download and run the included attachment. Warning sirens should be going off in your head now.

First off, I would like to give credit to the creator of this particular hoax. Why? Because it actually looked like it came from my provider. These messages are beginning to look more and more official. It even matched the format that my provider's previous e-mails were in. They had the exact same content from the very first greeting to the sign-off. To the unsuspecting user this would seem like an important e-mail from the company, but it's not. Here's a little more information on why this was obviously a virus.

The sending name is usually something like "Your Internet Service Support," but the sender name for this e-mail was a regular address such as "yoursupport[at]internet.com." That alone was a warning sign, along with how my address was formatted. Instead of being "brandonwatts[at]adelphia.net" like I had registered with their system, it came to me as "BrandonWatts[at]adelphia.net". I had never received an e-mail from the company like this. These are subtle things, but important nonetheless.

The most obvious sign though should be that they sent me an attachment. Let's not ignore the fact that the provider would probably just switch me over to the new system automatically, but this e-mail included a file for me to run in order to register. If the company needed me to download a specific file, they most certainly would direct me to a Web location on their official site like they have in the past. They're not stupid - they know about the hoopla involved with attachments. I proceeded to call my provider to see if they were aware of the situation. Sure enough they told me that several users called in and had fallen prey to this scheme.

My point with all of this is that we have to stay one step ahead of the bad guys. We need to be prepared in advance to prevent ourselves from being duped. No matter how convincing that "official" e-mail looks, keep your senses and verify whether it's real or not. I hope everyone has learned a little something from this. Excuse me, I gotta check out this attached zip file that says it can refinance my house AND cut the cost of my long distance bill!
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: From my Inbox by Brandon Watts - about viruses
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: From my Inbox by Brandon Watts - about viruses
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?