General discussion

From my inbox

sent by one of my oldest, dearest, and best friends....obviously he knows my own sentiments well.

WHAT'S ALL THE FUSS?

Are we fighting a war on terror or aren't we?

Was it or was it not started by Islamic people who brought it to our shores on September 11,2001? Were people from all over the world, mostly Americans, not brutally murdered that day, in downtown Manhattan, across the Potomac from our nation's capitol and in a field in Pennsylvania?

Did nearly three thousand men, women and children die a horrible, burning or crushing death that day, or
didn't they?

And I'm supposed to care that a copy of the Koran was "desecrated" when an overzealous American soldier kicked it or got it wet?

Well, I don't. I don't care at all.

I'll start caring when Osama bin Laden turns himself in and repents for incinerating all those innocent people on 9/11.

I'll care about the Koran when the fanatics in the Middle East start caring about the Holy Bible, the mere possession of which is a crime in Saudi Arabia.

I'll care when Abu Musab al-Zarqawi tells the world he is sorry for hacking off Nick Berg's head while Berg screamed through his gurgling, slashed throat.

I'll care when the cowardly so-called "insurgents" in Iraq come out and fight like men instead of disrespecting their own religion by hiding in mosques.

I'll care when the mindless zealots who blow themselves up in search of nirvana care about the innocent children within range of their suicide bombs.
I'll care when the American media stops pretending that their First Amendment liberties are somehow derived from international law instead of the United States Constitution's Bill of Rights.

In the meantime, when I hear a story about a dedicated marine roughing up an Iraqi terrorist to obtain information, know this: I don't care.

When I see a fuzzy photo of a pile of naked Iraqi prisoners who have been humiliated in what amounts to a stupid college hazing incident, rest assured that I don't care.

When I see a wounded terrorist get shot in the head when he is told not to move because he might be booby-trapped, you can take it to the bank that I don't care.

When I hear that a prisoner, who was issued a Koran and a prayer mat, and fed "special" food that is paid for by my tax dollars, is complaining that his holy book is being "mishandled," you can absolutely believe in your heart of hearts that I don't care.

And oh, by the way, I've noticed that sometimes it's spelled "Koran" and other times "Quran." Well, Jimmy Crack Corn and -- you guessed it, I could not have said this any better myself!

If you don't agree with these sentiments, then by all means hit the delete button. But please don't complain when more atrocities committed by radical Muslims happen here.

TONI

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: From my inbox
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: From my inbox
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) very well said bravo bravo
- Collapse -
So...

until they're more like us we should be more like them?

That makes no sense at all. But, yes, I know, you don't care.

Dan

- Collapse -
A little humiliation

or a little water on a Quran (when even having a Christian bible in your possession with them is a death penalty) makes us more like them?

I hardly think so....and you're right....I don't care if their freaking 'feelings' got hurt. Especially when you take the time to compare it to what they are and have been capable of instead.

What makes no sense to me is how you can be such a bleeding heart for their 'rights' when they don't want US to have any at all.

TONI

- Collapse -
I want us to respect their rights

because I want everyone to respect everyone's rights. If we want to set an example, let's set that one. That's pretty simple.

Dan

- Collapse -
Considering what kinds of

conditions they are willing to live with and die for, they ARE respected a hell of a lot more than they have ever respected US...out of the thousands of detained, there have been a handful or less of the incidents you are belly-aching about. And the people responsible for those incidents have been punished.

I don't give a rat's if they EVER have it better than they do now considering what their respect for US would be if they were released after being treated like kings and eating real food instead of freaking bugs, and sleeping in relative comfort compared to not only their original beds of caves but also compared to what our OWN guys are using for sleeping quarters and what they have to eat right now.

TONI

- Collapse -
There are two points here.

One is that people's rights should be respected because they are people and people's rights should be respected. It is circular, but it is the way that good people behave. There can be no argument on that.

The other point is when we do not respect people's rights we are diminishing ourselves. That is never a good thing.

When good people do not respect people's rights it makes them less good.

Dan

- Collapse -
Ahhhh Jeeezzzzz

You sound like some Catholic priest, bishop, cardinal, pope who doesn't live in a real world...

enjoy your bubble.......

TONI

- Collapse -
Do you think that

right and wrong exist in the real world? I sure hope that you do.

Dan

- Collapse -
Sure I do....but for you to believe

in a perfect world SOLELY on this side of the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans IS unrealistic, dear.

TONI

- Collapse -
Sorry, dear, for you to believe that

we can treat people however we want and still remain a good people is unrealistic and sad, dear.

Dan

- Collapse -
Are you deaf or just refusing to read

what I really write?

You want perfection when what may have happened are a FEW isolated incidents and have been punished.

I don't CARE about terrorists 'rights'...I've made that perfectly clear. The fact that the majority of the thousands of detainees are treated humanely doesn't seem to matter one iota to you...you just keep repeating the same thing over and over and over and over......

About how we should be showing respect....did YOU show respect to your parents every time you broke one of their rules? How about when you yelled back at your mother because you felt she was being unfair about some punishment she laid down?

Just because the MAJORITY of your life you dealt with her with respect doesn't mean that there weren't ISOLATED incidents that weren't respectful...and you were punished for it, one way or another.

We have dealt with our 'disrespectful' incidents...and you seem to think that's not enough to make up for all the rest of the 'good behavior'.

I DON'T CARE...................dear

TONI

- Collapse -
I CARE...dear

...not about terrorists rights but that there are people in our government that share his views.

- Collapse -
I do care.

I want us to be a good society. I want us to be just and to seek justice for all, and not only when it is convenient. I want us to respect the rights of all, and not just give those rights lip service. I want us to be the example to the world that we could be if we just tried a little harder. That is what I want. I want each transgression against these to be met with revulsion and shame and a fierce rededication to our principles, not evasion and rationalization. That is what I want.

Your joy and glee at not respecting other's rights shows that you want something different. That is just sad, dear.

Dan

PS: Do not discuss my mother. On her worst day she was better than any of us on our best.

- Collapse -
My "joy and glee" ????

What a asinine statement to make.

You want perfection........I want actual abusive treatment punished, which has happened. I DON'T want trumped up crap like Newsweek printed for headlines to go unpunished....and yet they did, and YOU DON'T CARE. People were hurt and killed in another country because of THAT disrespect for OUR OWN military by printing something that NEVER happened, but that seems to be OK with you.

You are wishy-washy at its best...but at least your consistent with your flipping.

TONI

- Collapse -
I wish you hadn't made the statement

but you may retract it if you think it was so asinine.

I don't want perfection, I just want the best that we can do. I think we can do better than we are doing now. If you think I'm horrible for saying that, I'll have to live with it.

By what process have you come up with me being ok with Newsweek's mistakes? That should be amusing to read. Please be as detailed as you can.

Wishy-washy? Flipping? My position has been consistent throughout and clearly stated. What are you talking about? Do you even know?

Dan

- Collapse -
Please reread your two posts

The one that begins "I do care" and carefully read your words about what you want....and then think about how you want what you want ONLY when it seems to refer to our military men and NOT other outside parties that have committed atrocious disrespect to those military men/women with their PUBLIC LIES and caused death and mayhem. I don't see you taking any stand against such disrespect whatsoever anywhere in SE or elsewhere. I even tried to do a search about that story and couldn't find hide nor hair of you and your opinions on that where you condemned what they did....although if I recall correctly, you WERE all over the original story calling for punishment of the men who supposedly committed the disrespect of getting water on/urinating on the Quran when you assumed it was true story. THAT'S the example of flipping I was talking about that you sooooo good at.

Also reread the one that you just posted titled "I wish you hadn't made that statement"....and tell me what in hell you are talking about?

The post entitled "I do care" has the following quote from you "Your joy and glee at not respecting other's rights shows that you want something different. That is just sad, dear."

So my post in response was requoting you and calling that statement asinine. There is nothing for me to retract since YOUR'RE the one who accused ME of enjoying 'joy and glee'.......

No matter what your response is, I'm done with you and your trash talk....at least in this thread.

TONI

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) that scum isnt human
- Collapse -
Mark, they make the supreme mistake by

not recognizing the humanity of their victims. Please, do not join them in the mistake.

Dan

- Collapse -
IF, we were more like them........

NONE of them would have their heads on their shoulders!
Get real!

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You do recognize that there are degrees, right?
- Collapse -
And isn't it too...

bad that the terrorists that behead people doesn't recognize degrees!

- Collapse -
Yes, but it's not relevent.

Just because they are 100% bad does not mean that we should become 10% more bad in order to combat them. (These numbers are for illustration purposes only.)

Dan

- Collapse -
you fight fire with fire

you kill more of them than they do us that is if you want to win

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) That wasn't the point, Mark.
- Collapse -
thats where your wrong

you do whats necessary to win or we become victims

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) It's sad you think that, Mark.
- Collapse -
aint it sad to have to explain it

to you stop flip flopping

CNET Forums

Forum Info