Speakeasy forum

General discussion

From John Robie

by Caring Soul / September 9, 2007 2:15 AM PDT

I have permission to share this:

To bring you up to date on me, it has been one test after another at MD Anderson in Houston.

Had some problems with breathing & heart back in January/February believed caused by the Chemo and Proton Radiation given in Houston Oct thru Dec, but got over that. Then they ran quiet a few tests on my lungs and determined that they had destroyed the cancer, but started keeping close follow-up with CT Scans, Pet Scans, X-Rays, & blood test. Well, the scans showed some possible cancer in my lungs a couple weeks ago, so they did a Bronchoscopy through the nose and took biopsies of several lymph nodes on August 30. Was able to get the results on Tuesday September 4th and it is new lung cancer. They said this cancer is "Small Cell......" which responds favorable to Chemo. The other I had was "Non-small cell.....which they cured with Chemo and Proton Radiation. This new cancer is not curable but can be contained and I can live with it....how long they do not know yet. I start my first Chemo this Thursday and arrangements have been made to have it done here in San Antonio once a week instead of traveling to Houston.

Anyway I feel good with no pains and am able to get around real good, just don't feel like posting....etc on any forums, and in fact you are the first outside of my family to get the current info on me.

Regards,
Your friend, John

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: From John Robie
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: From John Robie
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Thanks for posting on his behalf.....
by Josh K / September 9, 2007 2:29 AM PDT
In reply to: From John Robie

....and please forward my wishes for a recovery that is as quick and painless as possible.

Collapse -
thank you for the update
by jonah jones / September 9, 2007 2:33 AM PDT

and JR, hang in there!!

jonah "about to raise a cold beer to your health" jones

Collapse -
Keep fighting the fight, John
by TONI H / September 9, 2007 2:44 AM PDT

I hate your having to do this again though.....

Prayers are speeding in your direction and forums angels surround you.

TONI

Collapse -
Good news overall, IMO.
by drpruner / September 9, 2007 6:01 AM PDT

Please pass along to Robie, to hang on to what he already knows:
"not curable but can be contained ... can live with it ... I feel good with no pains and am able to get around real good" is being ahead of the game!
And, "how long they do not know yet" is just what every doctor knows about every patient, and what each of us knows about himself.

Like the caption on the kitty picture, "Hang in there, baby." Happy

No doubt the lack of posts is due to general tiredness; you don't owe us anything, anyway.

Collapse -
There are some promising new drugs for small-cell
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / September 9, 2007 6:05 AM PDT

lung cancer, and MD Anderson is one of the top cancer hospitals in the country. Please tell John he has my prayers for a successful outcome.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Thank you for sharing. John...
by Angeline Booher / September 9, 2007 6:17 AM PDT

I noticed you had not posted for a while and thought about emailing you. But I didn't, another good intention put off "until tomorrow".

I remember that you bought a new Toyota truck, and I'm ure it has served you well.

You do have many friends here who care, John.

You are is in my prayers, and in those of many here. Looking forward when you again feel like posting.

My very best,

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
Pass along my regards too
by Steven Haninger / September 9, 2007 7:07 AM PDT

I can have some real empathy with this but won't get into details. It's not fun. One gets a real appreciation for other in their life. Every sunrise is more beautiful and every spring flower smells better than those of the previous year. No season is unwelcome and no moment of rest is just wasted time. John has been a good contributor when he drops by and has offered plenty of wisdom and experience here, IMHO. Tell him when he's ready, don't even knock....just come on in. Happy

Collapse -
Thanks everyone for your very kind words.
by John Robie / September 9, 2007 8:43 AM PDT

I received an email about this SE post.
I haven't been on the computer much, doing other things, and like Stephen indicates, smell the roses. When age and health creep up you have a tendency to reflect how fortunate to be able to live in this world and especially the US which includes Alaska & Hawaii that I spent several years in. Alaska, a few years before it became a state, and Hawaii the year it actually became a state.

SE members always come to the aid whenever they hear of health or other problems affective someone. We all hope George (the old coot 18 mo older than me) gets out of rehab and back home feeling well soon.

Thanks Josh, Jonah, and Toni, we go back to the old ZDTV/ZDNet "Call for Help" forum before posting in SE. Err Jonah, I do drink a beer every week or so and will have one Tuesday, join me then.

Thanks drpruner & yes, I do get tired & not desirous of posting, ... just now reading some of the post in SE seems like I should jump in and join EdH and Grim in the middle of some of their debates......LOL :-).

Thanks DK, and yes, MD Anderson Cancer Center/Hospital is considered one of the best in the world and they treat everyone like a 'King/Queen'. My Oncologist has two Chemo drugs, Irinotecan and Cargboplation that he plans to use for this particular "Small cell...".

Angeline, thanks. Yes, I thought my cancer bouts were over and a couple months ago purchased a new 07 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 pickup that is made right here in San Antonio. Needed another anyway as my 19 year old Ford F150 was slowly wearing out and figured the Tundra would last another 20 years.

Thanks Stephen. I also enjoy your views and posts which are educational and true to life.

Collapse -
Hey, John
by Cindi Haynes / September 9, 2007 10:07 AM PDT

Good to "see" you again. Wish the news was better, but hey, we're still on the right side of the dirt!

You're in my prayers.

Cindi

Collapse -
allow me to pile on
by WOODS-HICK / September 9, 2007 10:12 AM PDT

believe it or not I was wondering how you were doing yesterday before this post.

I always admired that you told me not to let the bullies scare me away. you received much abuse for pointing out hypocrisy. we are worlds apart in many things but you always were a gentleman to me and encouraged my PITA approach to the self-inflated.

take care and keep shooting straight

Collapse -
Glad to see ya hanging in there
by Roger NC / September 9, 2007 12:02 PM PDT

Best wishes for faster improvement included of course.

Sounds like you're also remembering a lot of good times and making time for some more. Sounds like a plan.

Keep on fighting, know you're a tough bird.

Roger

Collapse -
(NT) Best wishes John
by grimgraphix / September 10, 2007 1:18 AM PDT
Collapse -
Just returned from
by John Robie / September 10, 2007 12:24 PM PDT

Houston (400 mile round trip today). Thank you Cindi, W-H, Roger, and Grim.

Collapse -
Hope the trip isn't too stressful or tiring for you.
by grimgraphix / September 10, 2007 12:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Just returned from

I've experienced some inner ear problems this summer that makes travel by car a nauseating experience every once in a while. Nothing serious and not comparable to what's going on with you... I'm just saying it must not be fun traveling so far for your treatments.

Hang in there!

Collapse -
Tiring...
by John Robie / September 12, 2007 12:56 AM PDT

The wife drives half way going & coming from Houston whenever I get tired.

The current Chemo tratments will be done here in San Antonio starting tomorrow, through coordination with MD Anderson in Houston.

Last October we had to move to Houston temporarily until the middle of December for Chemo and Proton Radiation treatment. The Chemo was every Monday, and the Proton Radiation treatment was every day, Monday through Friday for two months. It was quite expensive having to rent a place to stay , paying Motel/Hotel type rent for such a short stay without a lease. It really dug into our retirement funds.

MD Anderson has the only Proton radiation machines in Texas, and there are only aprx 5 other cities in the US that has them. Those treatments killed the "Non-Small Cell Carcinoma" cancer that was in the only lymph node detected then.

They now discovered, from Bronchoscopy biopsies, at least 4 lymph nodes in the lung/chest that have "Small Cell Carcinoma" as opposed to "Non-Small Cell.. Proton radiation is good for single spot treatment as it projects a smaller beam than other radiation therefore not affecting other organs. There were a lot of people with Prostate cancer using Proton Radiation.

Since I will only be treated this time with Chemo there is no need to travel to Houston for treatment, however they will still monitor me and do CAT scans, etc... several weeks in the future to see the progress..one way or the other.

Collapse -
(NT) Wishing you luck and praying for the best.
by grimgraphix / September 12, 2007 2:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Tiring...
Collapse -
(NT) I wish you well John, take care
by JP Bill / September 10, 2007 12:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Just returned from
Collapse -
(NT) Thanks JP.
by John Robie / September 12, 2007 1:00 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) Hope things get better for you Robie!
by James Denison / September 12, 2007 1:59 AM PDT

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!