Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

from HD to webpage

by Ratbiter / February 16, 2008 12:42 AM PST

HI everyone, I'm putting this question here rather than on the web hosting forum as I think it maybe a Newbie question.

I have free webspace from my ISP and afew years ago a friend put some software on my computer which was fairly easy to use (I could do it..lol) but have since re formatted the computer and forgotten the name of the software.

What was this software and what did it do I hear you asking, well I think it was called "Smart" and it allowed me to upload files/pictures etc to the free webspace I have.

So hopefully some one here can advise me of a simple package that will allow me to do that, it's all I want to do at this stage is move files from my HD to the webspace. the simpler it is the better and cheaper it is makes it even better ( I think the "Smart" software was freeware!)

I'm using Windows XP SP2 and Firefox (can use IE6 if needed)and my ISP is Virgin Media.

I know someone here can help so I'll say Thanks now Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: from HD to webpage
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: from HD to webpage
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Uploading
by welrdelr / February 16, 2008 3:57 AM PST
In reply to: from HD to webpage

You should be able to upload with the embedded application in the webpage's server. Usually this is ftp. Upload speed depends on your provider. Cut that in half for a realistic transfer rate. If you can, use a test based application.

Collapse -
What I should and what I can do, depends upon my knowledge
by Ratbiter / February 16, 2008 4:22 AM PST
In reply to: Uploading

what I should and what I can do, depends upon my knowledge and in this area it's very limited.

Drag and drop is idea, I know I'll need to input my webspace address etc somewhere but beyond that I haven't a clue.

Collapse -
If you think it was "Smart" ...
by Edward ODaniel / February 16, 2008 10:45 AM PST
In reply to: from HD to webpage
Collapse -
Thanks
by Ratbiter / February 16, 2008 9:27 PM PST

Thanks it was SmartFTP and I can now upload to my webspace.

I also downloaded the Filezilla but haven't been able to get it to work

for server address I entered "upload.ntlworld.com"
left the port as 14147 didn't work so changed it to port 21 same as that used on SmartFTP but it still don't connect I just get the following

FileZilla Server version 0.9.25 beta
Copyright 2001-2006 by Tim Kosse (tim.kosse@filezilla-project.org)
Connecting to server...
Trying to reconnect in 5 seconds
Error: Connection to server lost...
Reconnecting to server...
Trying to reconnect in 5 seconds
Error: Connection to server lost... ETC ETC ETC

which just goes to show even simple is beyond me at times. It would be nice to get Filezilla working so I can compare the two, but I'm happy as I can upload, Thanks once again.

Collapse -
That is interesting ...
by Edward ODaniel / February 17, 2008 5:54 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

I tried it with FileZilla and port 21 (default FTP port) and anonymous as user and email as password. i didn't expect to get logged on but I did get:

Status: Connected with upload.ntlworld.com. Waiting for welcome message...
Error: Disconnected from server
Error: Unable to connect!

hard to say what the problem was (might have to look through the settings) but if Smart FTP is working you are good to go anyway.

Collapse -
Thanks
by Ratbiter / February 18, 2008 5:15 PM PST

Thank you Edward, At least I can upload Thanks to you Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.