Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Friendly vs Unfriendly forums

Thankfully SE meets the quality of a friendly forum. Every once in awhile I take trips around to help forums, discussion forums when I happen across them usually from a google search. It seems there's an increasing number of them which exist but with a close front door even for guest reading. Of course in google you can choose the cached page and see whatever you were looking for on that page. It's made me wonder what's the point of a forum if it's closed off to the select few? Some forums, usually help forums will have a question, followed by half the answer, then a subscribe notice with a price. The latter can be understood, but where you find those forums closed to the public, a members only for reading, it makes you wonder why the participants don't just have an email circle instead. If something is so private, then wouldn't email help to keep it that way better? Anyway, as I puzzled over this increasingly observed phenomenon I could only come up with one possible advantage to use a closed forum system with a select group; the advantage of having commonly accessed data available and stored at just one single source off one's private computer, leaving more room for all participants on their own computer. Still, when it's encountered it seems a bit unfriendly and sort of self defeating, not quite what one envisions the word "forum" to mean. Maybe it's just a symptom on the further polarization and fragmenting of honest discussion within our nation today.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Friendly vs Unfriendly forums
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Friendly vs Unfriendly forums
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) keen observations, james

In reply to: Friendly vs Unfriendly forums

Collapse -
I guess any observation I make, regardless..

of how innocuous, will be deleted, so why bother?

Collapse -
My view

There are many special interest boards. Those not sharing those interests or views would not enjoy them. The same goes for general interest ones.

My ISP has a very good variety available only to subscribers , even for read only. They are moderated, and violators of the TOS lose their subscription and access. Period.

Though that might seem a harsh penalty, the resulting enjoyment of the subscribers merits it.

Like so many other things in our lives, a few can ruin them for us all. Like the prevention of shop lifting. I recall when retailers here stapled packages shut at check out. That made law abiders feel like crooks.

I would not find a board dedicated to, say, hunting, appealing. And I would have no decent or logical reason to go there and rant about why. Yet, there are those who would for reasons I can't comprehend.

CNet has thousands of members, and there are huge numbers of posts daily through out the site. Violators stand out like a sore thumb. But when one takes a little time to look around, the vast majority comply with the TOS.

We often hear that there is a decline in respect, politeness, civility, and manners. I think the anonymity of the internet bears that out.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
my view is: no individual se member is being singled out.

In reply to: My view

I do not like it when my posts are deleted. no one has ever seen me complain about it. I accept responsibility for my actions. I accept the consequences. I do not hit the 'offensive post' button. I do not feel that I am victimized by the TOS rules or their enforcement by the appointed cnet moderators.

overall I think the moderators are more than fair and their 'motives', tacitly implied by questioning their decisions, do not exist. I have seen many examples where moderators have responded to questions when they did not have to offer any answers.

this version of se is the only one that exists: NOW. the older version has been updated and is no longer supported. the future will become the next: NOW.

Collapse -
Did you notice?

In reply to: My view

You didn't use the word "forum" once. I suspect, even if subconciously,
you like me look at the word "forum" similar and we prefer to use some
other term for closed communities, restricted message boards, and so forth.
It's like we older ones shy away from using the term "forum" as a proper
description of those because the word means something more to us, a precursor
to the concepts of free speech and freedom in general.

Collapse -
Forums can be created for a variety of reasons

... to share interests, to share purpose, to share plans and help organize (recipes for example).

I can understand why a board sharing recipes may be closed to others if we were talking about a group of professional chefs. It is a simple way of safe guarding intellectual rights to creations that took knowledge and time to create. The recipes in fact would represent a valuable commodity. Access to the forum, depending on how well organized, would be the same as access to a cook book... something most of us would pay for.

Then there are forums that might feel they need privacy for other reasons... exclusivity can make one feel privileged... or safeguard from feelings of persecution and paranoia. Then there are sites that allow communication of nefarious ideas, sites connected to planning of harassment and downfall... for terrorism purposes. The ironic thing about sites such as these is that their very existence focuses more attention onto them... which may be the very reason why they were created to begin with. Look at the multitude of racial supremacy sites as an example. However, again by the high profile these sites maintain, their effectiveness at actual secret organization of activities is called into question.

Finally, there are those sites that we older adults may not even look at as being forums in a traditional sense. Face Book, My Space, and other social sites allow a look into its members intimate lives and allows others to contact and comment privately and publicly. You Tube is a give and take forum where response is both written and video based. I have seen public conversations all in video format with answers and questions directed at particular individuals but available for all to see.

Still, in any public or private forum, interaction between 2 or more people will always leave stepped on toes and hurt feelings or outrage and anger. That is where you end up seeing the true maturity level of any given member and/or the forum they participate in. Not to step on your toes James, but "honest discussion" of issues has always been highly praised but is always talked about as being in the past... in a better time and place. It makes me wonder if there has ever been an honest discussion or if it is just the reminiscing of one or another person... who ended up with their point of view prevailing over others. Maybe I'm just cynical. Sad Ultimately, here and now is the place we find ourselves and the best axiom for how we pursue honest discussion to my way of thinking is Handsome is as handsome does" or for those with a more agricultural vision how about you harvest what you plant.

grim

Collapse -
Forums can be created?

In reply to: Forums can be created for a variety of reasons

Grim, Nice post!

-Kevin

Collapse -
It just could be that posts like this one are what lead to

'further polarization and fragmenting of honest discussion within our nation today'.

I guess we could talk about getting a 'piece' of Whitney Houston or how terrible, but shapely Britney Spears is.

Collapse -
KP : Well said! Furthermore a search for forums

In reply to: It just could be that posts like this one are what lead to

in google will produce thousands of hits. There are some sites such as Yahoo and Delphi which literally support hundreds of forums many of which specialize in political and societal discussions as well as religion. Most of them are free and with just a little effort one can find something they feel comfortable with. But none that I have visited
are as over moderated as this one is! So a fairly thick skin and ability to defend a stance you take in any of them becomes a prerequisite.

Collapse -
Recently

In reply to: It just could be that posts like this one are what lead to

there were a couple threads on just those subjects, so I suppose you "could"
have contributed to them, but didn't. I could see all sorts of discussion
that could have grown from such, like wondering why fame and fortune seems
to destroy so many people and is it worth seeking after? Aspects of motherhood
and fatherhood in Britney's case and the sorrow of her parents over these
latest developments. There were various directions discussion in those
threads could have taken and have been of merit. Quite a difference between
"could" and "would", although both are subjunctive in understanding.

Collapse -
Contribute to the likes of this kind of discussion?

In reply to: Recently

'Hey guys, she may be available again. Any guys interested in helping her out through all this? Guys??'

'Grab a piece from Whitney'

No, I think not James. My mind doesn't run in those directions.

Oh yes, the condemnation of the women involved. My mind doesn't go there either.

Collapse -
The Traveling Mind

In reply to: Contribute to the likes of this kind of discussion?

Does your mind travel to sarcasm, or not made it there yet? If so, it would
recognize it when it sees it. It's like dropping your sandwich in the farm yard,
picking it up and saying, "Hey, anybody want this really great sandwich?" As for
Whitney, that line was from the reporter in the article.

Collapse -
What you are missing James is that I don't want my mind

In reply to: The Traveling Mind

to go to the places that you seem to find fascinating.

My mind isn't interested in contemplating the consumption of a sandwich which has been dropped in a farmyard. For that, I am deeply grateful.

Collapse -
OTOH

I'm a member of several closed groups.

One is the Tripoli Atlanta Rocket Club. There we discuss upcoming launches, meetings, club picnics, etc.. We host our group with Yahoo Groups because it's easy. No one has to worry about updating their mail list with new members and everyone can access club news at one central place. It's not that we're unfriendly, we're just a bunch of members of a private club.

I'm also a member of the Atlanta Astronomy Club, private as well. We have a central forum to discuss membership activities, meetings, etc.. Again, the web is an easy central place for access for everyone and there's one, simple membership list to maintain.

I'm also an active member an admin at a couple of public forums with closed backrooms for discussing things like moderation and site administration.

Closed doors do not necessarily make a discussion or a community unfriendly, just closed, nothing more, nothing less.

Collapse -
I think the point was missed a bit

In reply to: OTOH

I was looking more at what you call communities but what others refer to
themselves as a "forum". To me a "forum", but the very sense of the word
is more a public place. I guess the problem is with the terms and the image
they convey of openness whereas in truth some "forums" are far from being
a forum and might better refer to themselves as a "club" or "community".
Perhaps the term is morphing to denote software that can be used for discussions
or information sharing, rather than the long time meaning of an open public
place for open discussion. It will be interesting when they start combining the
terms, maybe a "club forum" or "Our Club's Forum", but still takes away
from the word I feel. I think if I was someone running a private club which
also had some discussion software loaded, I'd probably keep the link to the
discussion area secret too, just revealed in email to the trusted members. That's
not too difficult to do with one's own hosted server account.

A "forum" though is not a club really, and not always a community although most
of them develop regulars which could be considered a community of sorts. I found this
amusing at Wikipedia, they've locked the page which describes what a forum is. How fitting
a coincidence for forums on the internet today.

Collapse -
Well at least my last post lasted a few hours.

In reply to: I think the point was missed a bit

And there were no urls in it. But i did mention Yahoo and Delphi. So I guess there is one moderator who thinks that is a TOS violation.

Collapse -
Your post is still up

In reply to: Well at least my last post lasted a few hours.

and so is Eds.

What is this forum coming to?

Collapse -
Thanks and the question should be

In reply to: Your post is still up

what has it become. There were two posts before that one by me that went poof. And they both said just about the same thing!

Collapse -
(NT) Times change, so does language

In reply to: I think the point was missed a bit

Collapse -
That's strange

My post got deleted and I didn't make any references to this forum, "that other forum" or any members thereof.

Hmmmmmmmm.....

Collapse -
Hmmmmmmmmmm. Lots of stuff getting deleted for no

In reply to: That's strange

apparent reason. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Collapse -
Clearly, some points of view are not allowed...

In reply to: Hmmmmmmmmmm. Lots of stuff getting deleted for no

and get deleted. Or some people are being targetted.

or BOTH.

Collapse -
I don't think I'm being targeted

In reply to: Clearly, some points of view are not allowed...

I've got other, equally innocuous posts here in SE that have not disappeared. My deleted post only had comments about what I found to be "annoyances" in some other forums (e.g. popups that follow you around the screen). I also made reference to (but did not name) other tech forums I found helpful for my business needs. Hopefully CNET realizes that other tech forums are additional help and not competition.

Collapse -
That's a big irritant.

In reply to: I don't think I'm being targeted

Having popups on a forum everytime you clk on a new page or thread. You
can use pop up blockers, but sometimes it blocks other things that you WANT
to see, and some forms that come in a popup.

Collapse -
Yeah,

In reply to: That's a big irritant.

kinda sucks that someone provides a FREE forum and people get hassled with ways for that forum to make money

Collapse -
Not talking just about forums in that answer on popups

In reply to: Yeah,

My bank site uses popup windows for some things and if you have them
blocked you have to turn that off, or find the trusted site area and plug
that in. The first time I was wondering why the bank site didn't work, then
I suddenly remembered the popups being blocked, so switched over to IE and
all was fine. It can happen at places like Best Buy when you clk to see enlarged
image of a product. I mention them because I ran into it there too. As for forums
using popups, I guess it they are something like those bravenet among others, yes, they
must pay the bills somehow, but I don't see why anyone with some experience in domain
purchasing, getting a hosting acct, would balk at loading on some freebie software
of their own. So much is available around the web. A domain cost less than $10,
some places a hosted site is about $5/month for fairly good bandwidth. Cost shouldn't
be the obstacle.

Collapse -
There's advertising and there's ADVERTISING

In reply to: Not talking just about forums in that answer on popups

It's one thing to have ads on your site. It's another to make them so obtrusive and annoying that people leave your site rather than have to fight the popups. I've done that; if the advertising is so in my face that I can't do what I went there to do, I leave.

Collapse -
(NT) That's your choice then.

In reply to: There's advertising and there's ADVERTISING

Collapse -
If you have a good browser and know how to use it...

In reply to: There's advertising and there's ADVERTISING

You need never see any advertising nor popups except the ones you want to see.

Collapse -
Not the point

In reply to: If you have a good browser and know how to use it...

People shouldn't complain about ads that pay for whatever FREE service they are using.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!