HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Friending on Facebook

by itsdigger / December 2, 2013 6:26 PM PST

My niece wants me to be on FB. I tried FB when it first began for a year or so and didn't like it at all. Friends, friending friends of friends and friends of friends friends, it was mind boggleing . I was aquiring this hugh friend list of people I didn't know and they were getting to know or be aware of my personal life . Something just didn't feel right about that so, as John Lennon said in a tune "I just had to let it go"! I do just fine talking to relatives over the phone and e-mail but I don't want to publish my life. "Big Brother" (the NSA) is keeping track enough of what where I'm going and doing and saying without me giving it up freely , they at least have to work for it. I know the whole world can see what I'm typing here on this forum, but for some reason it just doesn't seem the same as FB. Is it the same?.....Digger

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Friending on Facebook
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Friending on Facebook
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
there's been plenty of reasons to be wary of
by Roger NC / December 2, 2013 7:50 PM PST
In reply to: Friending on Facebook

Facebook.

Biggest perhaps is the more than one time they reset people's sharing from friends only to public.

But you don't have to accept every friend request you get. And every post can be one of several sharing levels.

Of course, FB should never be considered secure, any more than anything else you post on the web. People should never anywhere online talk about an upcoming trip, only talk about when they get back home if they wish. Things like that, never giving clues when you're going to be gone or home, or talk about new expensive purchases, etc.

But it can be used without much more risk than anything else online if you thing about what you're doing.

Collapse -
Here's where the skepticism
by Steven Haninger / December 2, 2013 8:02 PM PST

we develop with age pays off. We didn't want to take the advice of the older when we were young. I'm saying we shouldn't get our advice from the younger when we are old. What is it someone said about being too soon old and too late smart? Personally, I want nothing to do with facebook or any social networking site. I have a gmail account and signed up with Cnet. That's risky enough for me. Don't get caught up in a web from which there's no way out unless you don't mind being eaten. Just my advice. Wink

Collapse -
I use it, but.....
by Josh K / December 2, 2013 9:45 PM PST

.......I am very careful about what information I provide, and who is allowed to see my stuff. For example, I've gotten friend requests from coworkers and even my managers. It's an awkward situation, so what I do is accept the requests but put them in a "restricted" group who can't see anything I post.

I also don't play any of the games, accept invitations to use apps, any of that. All of that stuff is designed to get your personal information and your friend list.

Otherwise, I find it a good way to keep up with people who aren't local. I have friends all over the US and in Europe, too. Real friends, not just Facebook friends. FB provides a good way for us to keep in contact.

Collapse -
Most of our family got on it when my aunt died
by Diana Forum moderator / December 4, 2013 6:49 AM PST
In reply to: I use it, but.....

My aunt was the font of all family news. Since then I've friended ex-co-workers but not current ones and people I knew in high school and from my church and people that own Pyrenees. I check out people that want to friend me and generally say not now. The only game I play is a jigsaw which my sister introduced me to. I just have her on the list to tell.

Haven't had any hacking (knock on wood). I do argue with conservatives. I really haven't had a whole lot of time lately and they won't let me log on here at work like they used to and the forums aren't an app that I can find.

Diana

Collapse -
I dumped it the day my computer got hacked and all sorts of
by Ziks511 / December 3, 2013 2:12 PM PST

things went wrong. I haven't gone back, and have no intention to. Too damned dangerous. I have lost touch with one friend, but the next time I'm at one of her gigs I'll get her e-mail addy.

So far, in just over a year since that disaster, everything has been fine.

Rob

Collapse -
I have to say
by itsdigger / December 3, 2013 8:02 PM PST

that getting some old Army buddies phone numbers and e-mail addresses would'nt have happened if I hadn't had that FB account. We're in the process of getting together for a weekend here in Chicago as it's probably the center of us all. Some live out west in Cal, Wyo, Mont. and some east in RI. , NY and the Virginias . So some good things happen on FB but I think for the most part, I still would'nt trust it. Think I'll just leave it be...Digger

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.