Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Friedman: Economy important to nation's strength

by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / April 14, 2005 11:51 PM PDT
Huge cost of Bush's low-priority approach to high tech.
(Chronicle login: semods4@yahoo.com; pw = speakeasy)

>>One of the things that I can't figure out about the Bush team is why an administration that is so focused on projecting U.S. military strength abroad has taken such little interest in America's economic competitiveness at home ? the underlying engine of our strength.<<

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Friedman: Economy important to nation's strength
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Friedman: Economy important to nation's strength
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hmmm...
by Evie / April 14, 2005 11:56 PM PDT

... your subject line is a big DUH!!

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Pity your chosen Presidential representative doesn't get it,
by Ziks511 / April 15, 2005 9:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmmm...

then. The Repubs seem to be at war with the idea of keeping both jobs and the profits of corporations in the United States.

Rob

Collapse -
Companies seem to want to get in on any
by Dragon / April 16, 2005 12:14 PM PDT

way they can save money, including using overseas labor. How would you suggest stopping that?

BTW, Ive had a question about this whole thing. Ive been hearing (or at least inferring) that when a company moves its plants overseas, all the profits go there, too. Why is that? If they are still American companies, why wouldnt the profits be here?

Collapse -
Water said to be wet!
by EdH / April 15, 2005 12:23 AM PDT

If that article was by Milton Friedman rather than Thomas Friedman you might have something there.

Collapse -
Milton doesn't believe in a strong US economy. He's been a
by Ziks511 / April 15, 2005 9:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Water said to be wet!

defender of takeovers and downsizing and export of manufacturing jobs. He's the bean counter's bean counter, and no friend of a strong domestic economy, just a thriving investment market (they're not the same thing as the Brits who went through all this in the 10's through the 60's can tell you).

Rob

Collapse -
I guess you know better than a Nobel Prize winner?
by EdH / April 15, 2005 9:58 AM PDT

He believes in freedom. I realize some people have a problem with that.

Collapse -
Nobel Prize winner
by Tibbs / April 15, 2005 3:21 PM PDT

How was that recieved by the people? I recall he was extremely booed. It should also be mentioned that the fascist regimes in South America have had his economic system as a model, which should say quite a bit about his theories. Friedman believes in freedom for corporations to make billions and probably freedom of consumption for those who can afford it. The rest of the population doesn't really count. So much for freedom!

Collapse -
I've been yelling about this since before we moved up here.
by Ziks511 / April 15, 2005 9:29 AM PDT

One small complaint however. Please specify which Friedman, because Milton Friedman, Dean of the Chicago School (University of Chicago, Economics Dept) is one of my least favorite economists in the whole world. I remember watching his series on PBS and yelling at the screen "Of course the British were dominant in the early and middle 19th century !!! It wasn't free trade, it was the fact that they were the first integrated industrial economy and could out produce and produce more cheaply than any other economy in the world. They also had the largest and most efficient Merchant Navy for exports."

I figured if I could figure that out everybody could but all the Reaganites were there with their heads nodding like toy dogs in the back windows of some Redneck's car. I really couldn't and still can't understand it. And the guy is supposed to be some sort of God in the world of economics. Go figure.

Rob Boyter

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!