Desktops forum

Resolved Question

Fried Motherboard/CPU

by ilikerhinos / June 7, 2014 3:40 PM PDT

Well, this is a first. Quick history, I've build over 100 desktops of various kinds, and not once has this happened. Everything was double and triple checked via MOBO manual, and the PSU was working fine in another desktop, same with the RAM, and SSD.

Corsair CS Series 450W 80+ Gold
Corsair 4GB RAM (2x2GB)
Crucial M500 120GB SSD
AMD A6 6400K
MSI A78M-E35 motherboard

Within a second of turning the desktop on, I immediately turned off the power via PSU switch on the back. I saw an orange light near the (20 pin) power cable and the SysFan1, which had nothing plugged in. There is a slight singed area, light brown like a toasted marshmallow.

Already tested the RAM, SSD, and PSU in another build and it works perfectly. The CPU has also exploded, something I've never ever seen before. There's literally a chunk that didn't come out of the socket, which is also melted.

No overclocking of any kind whatsoever, and the PC was plugged into a surge protector.

Contacted Amazon and they said they'll send a new one and to send in the fried and they said they'd send a new one.

Think any of the current leaked out into other hardware or stayed isolated on the MOBO?

ilikerhinos has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Fried Motherboard/CPU
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Fried Motherboard/CPU
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by ilikerhinos

Collapse -
PSU damages
by Willy / June 9, 2014 5:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Fried Motherboard/CPU

I've done some insurance claims or inspections as it were to prove damages or fillings in the blanks on the form. In most cases, you can see the line of damages and sometimes the length of the time it took. Sometimes it instantous or if left "ON" it just poofs on the users. Those that crash immediately are either new or very old PSU. New, the PSU was defective or wasn't capable of the power required or darn cheap PSU. Most older PSU had been so clooged with dust or just reached the end of life cycle, it had to happen sooner or later. Generally speaking most OEM supplied PSU work rather well its usually the replacements that crap out. Now, all this is an observational POV but i wouldn't trust anything that offers its X-watts rated then light as a feather and having wiring that seems 1-2 gauges below a good brand name. You take you pick, but most PSU that I have seen fail are cheap or over-burdened. That that fail but didn't cause a fire or excessive burning had a good SFC=safety fail circuit besides a fuse which usually doesn't blow. the SFC did its job abd cut-off the power from continuing to be drawn yet still connected at AC. I can't say, this is the case for most PSU, but IMHO it seems to represent typical finding and I find they repeat more than once.

Take my advice, I wouldn't trust any component after such, unless test elsewhere by themselves or they are the only swapped part being tested. Even, return components together create a toxic mix that fail or become iffy, yet elsewhere alone do find.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Answer
You said you double and triple checked everything
by Steven Haninger / June 7, 2014 11:18 PM PDT

but does that include the standoffs for the motherboard? It's not uncommon to have one of those short something on the non-component side. Also, and it may be just a typo, but said the 20 pin power connector so it should have been a 24 or 20+4 type. I don't think there's a way to mess that up very easily but I have seen pins loose in their sockets that push out when one connects them. Arcing can occur when that happens as the contact surfaces can't handle the current being drawn.

Collapse -
Answer
Sadly I've seen such happen.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 8, 2014 1:17 AM PDT

The owner had brought their built machine in and wanted our opinion on what was wrong. The shop at the time had a dozen desktops on the mains so there was never a doubt it was caused by a surge that took out just their machine.

So they plugged in and flipped the switch with techs and the boss looking at him and his machine. A big bang, smoke rolls out and we all thought this was some April 1st gag. But it was sadly real and from what we could tell the PSU catastrophically failed and sent hundreds of volts down all the rails. Not one part in the box survived.

Rare, but does happen.

What do we think happened. Turns out the PSU was barely big enough for the load. The theory is that pushing some PSUs can result in total disaster.
Bob

Collapse -
What does and does not cause damage
by w_tom / June 8, 2014 1:47 PM PDT

No power supply is damaged or explodes if too small for the load. What is a largest load? Short all outputs together. An Intel standard even says how thick that shorting wire should be. And the supply must never fail. Shorting all output wires together is a routine and not destructive PSU test even long before the IBM PC existed.

Many supplies are sold to computer assemblers who do not even know standard and required functions found in all supplies - including single chip power supplies. It a supply was properly selected, damage to other computers parts should be impossible. So what would explain all that damage? A computer assembler without basic electrical knowledge who selected a supply on two mostly useless parameters - dollars and watts. Some supplies, missing required functions, are dumped into a market of naive consumers who ignore specifications.

CPU has its own power supply. More likely a manufacturing defect in that other supply caused CPU damage. Manufacturing defects are a common reason for most hardware failures.

Collapse -
Give it more time.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 9, 2014 1:25 AM PDT

And get more exposure to more gear. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/stress-test,1073-12.html is one of many web pages. That 816 Watts had to go somewhere. When these fail, it can kill components in the PC.

As to your test, sure, I've seen that happen a lot without problems. But then we have the other failures.
Bob

Collapse -
left it on for 24hr
by ilikerhinos / June 9, 2014 8:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Give it more time.

going to take my chances, the RAM, PSU, and HDD were all hooked up to a completely different MOBO and CPU, just ran linux as windows takes ages. Left it for 24 hours and so far so good, ran memtest86 and it seems to be fine. Hopefully I lucked out this time. The components are back in a new mobo/cpu and everything is up and running. The CPU is a nice and toasty 30C, ain't bad IMHO.

Thanks everyone for the replies I've certainly learned a lot more.

Collapse -
Exploded CPU
by w_tom / June 9, 2014 12:33 PM PDT
In reply to: left it on for 24hr

Greatest stress on a transistor is not when fully on. Greatest stress is often at half power. Unfortunately many use feelings to assume more power is more stress. It is not. To say more requires details of the design. But an overloaded supply would not explain your failure. No properly designed supply is damaged by an overload. And yet that myth is also quite popular.

An exploded CPU would be related to that CPU's supply failure. That supply does not provide power to anything else (ie memory, HDD, etc). So no reason existed to fear other damage.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!