PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Fried motherboard

by toggy9 / November 24, 2008 4:52 PM PST

I have just fried my motherboard so I need to purchase another. I wish to use most of my existing components. My case is a Thermaltake Super Tower VG4000SWA with a top fan. I have two Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTX graphics cards in SLI mode, a Creative soundblaster X-Fi sound card, 8 Gb G skill DDR2 ram,a CD rom drive, DVD drive and of course a floppy drive.I prefer air cooling for the CPU and have a large fan cooled CPU cooler. I wish to purchase a motherboard, Intel P4 processor, PSU and a new hard drive.I shall be using the rig for high end gaming and video rendering. Can you please advise on which components I should buy.Budget is fairly large.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Fried motherboard
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Fried motherboard
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Beware as...
by Willy / November 24, 2008 11:02 PM PST
In reply to: Fried motherboard

You need to verify "HOW YOU FRIED THE MTRBD." as that may come to haunt the new rebuild and possibility fry the new mtrbd.. In other words, don't trust anything until proven good otherwise. Secondary problems crop-up or fail sooner rather than later in whatever fried the mtrbd.. So, beware of this possibility.

As for a new mtrbd. buy whatever fits or is similar to your old mtrbd. or step-up abit if possible to newer offerings. Here's you chance to get into a dual-core or multi-core cpu beyond a typical P4/single core, if that waht you're old mtrbd. supported.

good luck -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Fried mtbrd
by toggy9 / November 25, 2008 2:49 PM PST
In reply to: Beware as...

Thanks Willy.I tried to fit water cooling to the CPU but on power up the pump failed to start pumping and the CPU got very hot. The system power supply then shut down. After stripping the computer the motherboard was seen to be burnt on the underside. I will check the area and try to see if that was the cause.

Thanks again

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.