Desktops forum

General discussion

Fried CPU?

by spongiform / March 14, 2008 4:46 PM PDT

I was recently given a nonworking PC to toy around with - it's a 2 or 3 year old IMB Emachines (from walmart).

During a move to a new house it had quit working mysteriously. Those things are so cheap it's just as cheap to buy a new one as it is to fix the old one, so that's what they did.

The issue with it was - it just refused to post or boot up. I systematically checked all the wires and connections to make sure nothing was just shaken loose then I removed each piece of hardware one by one - checking each time. The cheap thing didn't even have a case speaker so I had no way of knowing if there was some sort of error beep.

The CD-RW/DVDROM was somehow stuck shut as well and apparently had been that way for some time before the pc quit working. The HDD was also making a sad wheezing sound as well - although you couldn't hear this unless the case was open.

So I decided at that point to just gut the whole thing for parts. The CPU is an AMD Athlon 2600. However, at some point I had taken off the heat sink (to check to see what the cpu was) and then inadvertantly powered it up without replacing the heatsink. After about 4 or 5 seconds the cpu made a sizzling sound (similiar to bacon frying) and then I immediately powered it down.

So my question is - what are the chances that the CPU is fried now? I wouldn't mind having a spare cpu laying around, provided it isn't fried.

Secondary to that - any guesses as to what was wrong with the system? My best guess is that the motherboard crapped out during move.

~
Brian

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Fried CPU?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Fried CPU?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes, we even a video of that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2008 11:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Fried CPU?
Collapse -
Heat stressed AMD
by Willy / March 15, 2008 1:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Fried CPU?

AMD cpus tend to go "poof" quite quickly w/o proper cooling. Since, your system was an AMD cpu, more than likely, it has been fried. Replace it should you continue to t/s the system, otherwise any benefits due to increased costs is entirely up to you. good luck

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?