Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Friday only - ADSL dropouts.

I am running XP/SP2. To answer this question my profile gives the full description of my computer system.

On Friday when I logged on to my ADSL broadband all was fine, then after about an hour the connection dropped out. I could reconnect, but all day it intermittently dropped out at all different time spans. I rang my ISP - they spent over two hours troubleshooting with me on the phone doing what I was advised to do. They came up with the fact that they had upgraded their line service to there customers and for me to take advantage of those upgrades I would need to upgrade the DRIVERS on my D-Link 200 ADSL MODEM. They sent me the upgraded Drivers via my email, but with their guidance and after uninstalling the existing drivers from 'Add and Remove' the new drivers would not install.

I was then told to ring D-Link and tell them of my problem and ask for help to install the upgraded drivers using the software sent to my by my ISP. The technician at my ISP then guided me to reinstall my original drivers so at least I could get onto the internet until I could get help from D-Link. As it was late in the day, I decided to do this on Saturday morning/yesterday. So I booted up yesterday, was able to connect to the internet, and for 15 hours until I logged off I did not loose connection to the net. Not a thing went wrong. So of course I did not ring D-Link, there was no reason for the call. My question is - Why did this happen? Also this morning/Sunday not a problem. If someone could offer an explanation for this mystery I would be most grateful.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Friday only - ADSL dropouts.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Friday only - ADSL dropouts.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why the problem solves itself.

In reply to: Friday only - ADSL dropouts.

During the process of reinstalling the 'old' drivers, the modem somehow "resets" to the upgrade (switching on and off, replacing files and registy entries, etc.). You may still need to install the new drivers to take full advantage of the upgrade. Also, see whether there is a new "firmware" for your modem, and ask your seemingly helpful ISP whether it is supporeted.

Collapse -
Firmware?

In reply to: Why the problem solves itself.

Collapse -
Firmware....

In reply to: Firmware?

..it is right there at Other downloads at the link you provided!

A firm ware is quite similar to a driver, except that while a driver installs on a computer(to allow the device to work with the computer), a firmware installs on the device itself(to provide the utilities, processing power, etc.)

Collapse -
Dropouts

In reply to: Firmware....

Thank you for your explanation re firmware. All is OK again this morning. Yesterday no dropouts at all.
I have researched the D-Link troubleshooting page which gives step by step of what the technician at my ISP was telling me which of course helps me to have it in writing for the next time this may happen.

''..it is right there at Other downloads at the link you provided!''

Not quite sure what you mean re the above quote.........sorry

Thanks again

Collapse -
Firm ware...

In reply to: Dropouts

Not sure...? You provided a link for drivers. On the same page, below drivers, is "More Downloads", and on the list, is "Firmware". But none is available at the moment. If you click at its download link, you are advised to check backmlater.

Collapse -
Another possible explanation?

I much prefer Papa's explanation, but another possible is simply internet traffic.

Being the beginning of the weekend, or being June and schools on a half term, end of summer term, etc, or a special event in your area affecting your ISP's bandwidth, (how much increases in traffic can affect the available space on the lines), you may just have experienced a spike in activity.

This used to happen on dial-up connections. At certain times and/or on certain days, internet traffic would slow to a crawl. Broadband has helped alleviate that, but as more and more people switch over to broadband, eventually we will see a similar degradation in available bandwidth.

Another possible cause? Your ISP admitted after they had been trying to help you for an hour that they had upgraded their services. Perhaps the upgrades didn't take too well initially? It happens now whenever my own ISP, (NTL in the UK), do an upgrade. Services suffer for a while.

Mark

Collapse -
Possible causes

In reply to: Another possible explanation?

Thanks Mark. Yes you could be right re traffic. What I am most concerned about is that the new drivers would not install after under direction from the ISP technician I had uninstalled the existing drivers. He then (as I said in my initial post) redirected me to D-Link for help. Of course I did not proceed with that help as the next day all was well and still is. SO if it happens again I will follow my research as mentioned to Papa from the D-Link website which incidently is a good site for mugs like me!

Collapse -
And yet another cause

In reply to: Another possible explanation?

Do you get thunderstorms near you? I use BT Yahoo, since I live in the UK, their uplink site is just south of Bristol at a place called Portishead. It therefore follow that lightning strikes paticularly in that area are going to affect the internet.

Also, a Mark says, you DO tend to have periods of high useage in the internet. Yet another cause may be the ISP testing the circuits, this can cause the connection to "drop out".

Collapse -
Australia here

In reply to: And yet another cause

Thanks so much for your input, but I live in OZ it is winter and our thunderstorms are in our summer. As I said in my initial post, my ISP did admit they had upgraded their line service to their customers, so upgraded drivers were needed to take full advantage of their upgraded service - However all is well at the moment, reinstalling the existing drivers seems to have settled things down.

Thanks again -

Collapse -
Most likely...

Your original drivers were probably corrupt, and by uninstalling them, and reinstalling....the problem went away.

Collapse -
Drivers -

In reply to: Most likely...

Thanks for your input, what would make the drivers corrupt in this case?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.