HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Fresh Install / Windows Update

by DADSGETNDOWN / October 10, 2009 1:50 PM PDT

Fresh Install of WinXP Home SP2 OEM.
A couple questions. All security/critical updates and the like not software or any of that..

On Windows Update, Should I just install SP3, are the any real problems ?.
Or Should I ust install all the fixes for SP2 ?, There are 117 it shows, I have no problem with that (I am going to find and download them anyway).
It lists those 117 by newest first, should I install by oldest first or newer ones first, in hopes that will eliminate the older ones ?

Should I Install IE8, I like IE7. No problems there.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Fresh Install / Windows Update
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Fresh Install / Windows Update
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not sure of the issues here, so
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 10, 2009 10:17 PM PDT

I will suggest the way I would do it.

1] You want to perform a fresh install of an OEM XP which includes SP2.

Let the CD delete any existing partitions and reformat the drive, (unless you are installing as a dual boot or similar).

Do you have the drivers CD?

Install XP SP2, and when the install is complete, tested and stable, turn on the firewall or install your own, then visit Windows Update and download and install SP3. It includes every update from SP2 up to SP3.

On a fresh install there should be no problems with SP3 unless this is an HP computer with an AMD chip. If it is, visit HP for a fix.

2] When that is stable, re-visit Windows Update and install all other critical updates. One of these will include IE8

3] Should you install IE8?

Yes, it is more secure.

I hope that helps

Mark

Collapse -
I've said it a hundred times
by Jimmy Greystone / October 11, 2009 12:03 AM PDT

I've said it a hundred times, if not more: Service packs should always be installed within a week of release barring exceptionally good reasons. And exceptionally good reasons would be like the unfortunate people to have bought an HP system with an AMD chip, who got to suffered yet one more barb at HP's hand. Exceptionally good reasons DO NOT, however, include things like fears that programs will break, or that it will be buggy. The number of programs that stop working can probably be counted on one hand, and it's a bug fix collection, not a new OS release.

As for IE8... Yes, install it, and then use it to download either Firefox, Opera, or Safari. After which never use IE again except to download updates on Microsoft's Patch Tuesday. It may be safer, but it's still not safe for any regular use.

Collapse -
I agree
by DADSGETNDOWN / October 14, 2009 1:01 PM PDT

With most everything you said except installing service packs within a week of release. Even though it is needed and good in theory and all that, I like many others HAVE to wait and let you guinea pigs be the first to try them and see if there are any problems.. :D, Happy
So we wait a few weeks or month or 2 and see what happens, like with SP3 in my post above.
Thank you for the post.

Collapse -
That doesn't work
by Jimmy Greystone / October 15, 2009 2:38 AM PDT
In reply to: I agree

That doesn't work, because if everyone thought like you did, no one would ever test it. And any major problems are going to show up within the first week. HP's stupidity showed up within hours all over the Internet. And within 2-3 days they had it pinned down to HP being lazy and doing something that's a big no-no when building the image they apply to new systems. Sadly, Microsoft is the one who gets the bulk of the blame for that, when it was HP that was doing something Microsoft strongly recommended against. That just confuses the issue, and distracts from the many legitimate things Microsoft should take the blame for.

I say service packs should be applied quickly, because after Microsoft releases the fix, they release details that could be used to exploit an unpatched system. So, by waiting, you put yourself at unnecessary risk.

Collapse -
Just looking around
by DADSGETNDOWN / October 14, 2009 12:55 PM PDT

And searching for "windows xp sp3 problems" you will get all sorts of things that make one wonder, Like " SP3 Has serious problems like spontaneous reboots to outright system crashes.".
"Thousands of users are experiencing problems with xp sp3".
and all that sort of thing.

Same sort of thing with IE8.
And since I have used SP2 with all the current updates with IE7 on 2 other computers without any "real" problems, it makes me wonder whether I should or should not..

Collapse -
SP2 and SP3 are old now, and well tested
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 14, 2009 8:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Just looking around

and on a "Fresh Install" there should be no problems.

Mark

Collapse -
Went looking around
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 14, 2009 9:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Just looking around

For problems with Dr. S__lls and sure enough I found them. This is not a good proof there are serious issues.

Here SP2 and SP3 have never given us trouble across thousands of machines. The times we did have trouble was all about malware or the time we didn't follow the instructions about that one well known issue.
Bob

Collapse -
Well
by DADSGETNDOWN / October 15, 2009 1:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Went looking around

Hi there Mr. Proffitt.
Hey what is this, problems with Dr. S__lls ?.

Collapse -
Google found it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 15, 2009 1:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Well

Bunching, smelling up the joint and short life spans. Installation troubles too. It's almost like Windows problems!

Collapse -
Hmm.
by DADSGETNDOWN / October 15, 2009 9:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Google found it.

I can't seem to find anything about that,
What did you search for exactly ?. or where did you see that ?
Get ready for an I'll be dang Happy

Collapse -
For example.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 15, 2009 9:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmm.
Collapse -
Well
by DADSGETNDOWN / October 15, 2009 9:54 AM PDT
In reply to: For example.

I'll be dang, I should have guessed.
Lol, We're not wearing High Heals when we never have before, I'm not throwing a baseball as hard as we can for hours on end when we have not touched a baseball in 20 years, We're not bouncing or kicking this computer, I didn't search for problems, I recalled hearing there were problems here on Cnet reviews or some darn thing, and so I wondered, then I searched for " Windows XP SP3" and right at the top were several things mentioning problems, then I searched for "Windows XP SP3 Problems" and holy cow...And when you see the suggestions in the drop down list as you type...
5,600,000 hits on Yahoo, 16,600,000 on Google.
Yeah I guess we are installing a Insert though...:)=

And ofcourse there is the Re-Activation requirement, supposedly.

Collapse -
Re-activation.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 15, 2009 10:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Well

Speaking off topic, this is usually never a problem. Even more so on copies provided with the OS. But the makers HAVE to get better here.

Microsoft is protecting their assets a little too well and imagine if my mother was asked to do the following (read link). http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinevista/thread/4ac2370b-6279-42a0-93f7-41ed0803a9e7

"I believe Vista's Licensing Store is corrupt or is unreadable for some reason.
Would you try the following to recreate the Store:

1) Open an Internet Browser

2) Type %windir%\system32 into the browser address bar.

3) Find the file CMD.exe

4) Right-Click on CMD.exe and select 'Run as Administrator'

5) Type: net stop slsvc (it may ask you if you are sure, select yes)

6) Type: cd %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareLicensing

7) Type: rename tokens.dat tokens.bar

Cool Type: cd %windir%\system32

9) Type net start slsvc

10) Type: cscript slmgr.vbs -rilc (It may take a long time for this to complete, please be patient)

11) Reboot Twice

12) You will likely be asked to enter a Product Key. Use th one found on the sticker on the side or bottom of the computer

Thank you,"

Ugg,
Bob

Collapse -
Ugg is right.
by DADSGETNDOWN / October 16, 2009 1:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Re-activation.

I agree. Does this apply to Win Xp Also ?..
Adter installing SP3 won't it just notify me that I need to reactivate ?. or put in my Key ?. It can't just read the current one I suppose..
And does it being a OEM (for sale with a PC, I believe). version make any difference ?.

Collapse -
UGG OEM.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 16, 2009 2:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Ugg is right.

More limitations but more about hoop jumps than anything else. With the OEM versions (not talking about those supplied with the machine!) we get so many installs and then we get to call MSFT to unlock it for so many installs.

Be sure to NAIL what version you have. While some HP machine comes with an OEM version it's not that OEM you find at newegg.com and the rules change to "never a problem" and I've never called that one in.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.