Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Fresh install of XP and no updates?

by Coryphaeus / November 21, 2009 9:07 PM PST

Just did a fresh install of XP Pro SP2 (OEM) on a fresh hard drive. (See the reason here http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6620_102-0.html?threadID=369818&tag=forums06;forum-threads fourth paragraph)

After the install I installed SP3, and nothing else. No AV, no nothing, just XP. Then went to the Windows update site and let it do its thing, and it came back saying no updates needed. 'Scuse me!! No updates!!?? Should be at least fifty or more. I've lost count of how many times I've installed XP in all flavors and they all have needed the latest updates after the install.

On another note, all these installs have wanted to activate. Not this one! It's a legal OEM copy and my Ethernet was plugged in during the install. But it did not even mention activating. And the Activate link in the Start, Programs, Accessories is not there either.

Any thoughts?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Fresh install of XP and no updates?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Fresh install of XP and no updates?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
OEM versions can vary.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 21, 2009 9:16 PM PST

The OEM can tinker with the settings so nothing is amiss yet. The problem with OEM is you can't be sure what it is unlike the retail versions. It slams those new to OEM versions when they find something missing or broken.

As you know, issues and questions about OEM versions go back to the OEM company. This has upset some as MSFT won't do much with these versions.

So back to the place that sold it to you and ask what they did to it.
Bob

Collapse -
Good thoughts . . .
by Coryphaeus / November 21, 2009 9:29 PM PST
In reply to: OEM versions can vary.

The problem here is that I bought this copy quite a while back, on line, and naturally I don't remember where. Probably New Egg or Tiger Direct. But it's been at least a year, it was a spur of the moment purchase.

Anything off the top of your head to turn on updates? Or on activation? Looks to me like without activation I could just install this copy on every PC I find.

Collapse -
Yes you can do that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 21, 2009 9:53 PM PST
In reply to: Good thoughts . . .

But soon you'll find that when you do windows update manually it will likely do the WGA or such and the hoard of installs will drop like flies.

As this is not the retail version you can research this.

"Black Viper XP Service defaults"

You appear to be the OEM so you get to learn more than you wanted to about XP?
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?