Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

fresh install of windows xp questions

Hello , I got a new labtop recently and I hate all the junk they add on your computer and then they just give you a cd that will load all the junk back on with windows, no choice to do a clean install of windows only. So I found an XP home disc and decided to install. I installed everything and got on XP but could not get on the internet. Could someone tell me what hardware drivers I need to download in advance and if I do get those hardware drivers and have them on CD do I do my install and then where do I go,, something like add new hardware and then maybe it ask for the drivers,, I would appreciate the guidance as I have never done this, just tired of the bloatware.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: fresh install of windows xp questions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: fresh install of windows xp questions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) XP will give you some drivers, rest are from the maker,

In reply to: fresh install of windows xp questions

Collapse -
which ones

In reply to: XP will give you some drivers, rest are from the maker,

which drivers does xp provide and which ones do i need to download.

Collapse -
first place to look

In reply to: which ones

Go to the laptop maker's website and download the drivers for your particular model. They will provide the drivers that XP doesn't. They will also provide drivers that are better than XP's "best guess" driver.

What is the make & model number of your computer?

Collapse -
the original drivers

are hiding amongst the "bloatware" on the CD you got with the laptop...

it's usually a matter of "load *.inf" located at:-->?

if you're comfortable with searching through the CD, there should be a "drivers" or "hardware" or "mainboard" folder/s where the various 'bits 'n pieces' reside

jonh "been there, done that" jones

Collapse -
thanks

In reply to: the original drivers

thank you linkit thats exactly what i will do , i think you misunderstood me jonah, my bloatware version is the xp media edition that came with the labtop, i just want to install a version of xp home that i have, the only thing that comes with the labtop is a restore disk that restores it to factory image with all the junk on their so i just need to go get the drivers now on cd , install xp home and then install the drivers for whatever xp obviously is not. thanks everyone

Collapse -
i understood you

In reply to: thanks

as i said, the drivers are on your restore disk, you just have to know where they are and how to use them

jonah

Collapse -
driver collector

Driver collector is a small freeware utility that allows you to collect all the currently installed drivers on your system and store them in one folder. If you did this before removing your OEM installation of xp, you could have all the correct drivers for your system archived to a CD before formatting and installing an unencumbered version of xp, and then updating the correct drivers from your archive. You could still do this from your "recovery" discs for your OEM system. Use "driver collector" to collect all the right drivers after you have reconstituted the system to its original state. Now your are ready install a virgin MS intallation of xp and update the drivers from your archive. Get driver collector here:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/Driver-Collector.shtml

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.