Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Fresh install of Vista made the boot partition to small

by ccolekey / May 7, 2007 2:32 PM PDT

Hi there,

I built my own computer with 2 Core duo E6600
Gigabite MB 3 Gigs of ddr2 dimms, 1650X Pro Radeon,
2 Sata II 7200rpm 160 gigs each raid configured.

I did a fresh install of Windows Vista Home Premium. When I did so I created a boot partition for the operating system.
The computer has been running incrediblly, no problems, lighting fast.
Until now the C drive is Red and is running out of space it has 1 gig left.
While I have 250 gigs available on the 2nd partitoin.

Can I do anything to expand the boot partition?
or
It seems like alot of programs must run on the same partition as the operating systme to work,(like office 2007 is one) is this true or is there an alternative?
Thanks so much for any advice, I really appreciate it.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Fresh install of Vista made the boot partition to small
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Fresh install of Vista made the boot partition to small
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Partitioning...

Actually, you can install programs to another partition, usually without problems. Most will still store some files on the local partition, but the bulk of the files will be saved in the directory you select. There aren't many that will be problematic when installed this way, and most of those are older applications. (Circa Windows 95/98.) You cannot, however, simply copy-and-paste the files to the other partition, so you'll have to go through the uninstallation process, then reinstall, this time selecting the secondary partition as part of a custom install.

Now, you cannot natively expand the primary partition in Vista. You can, however, use third-party partitioning tools, such as Partition Magic, to do so. A free alternative is GParted, a mainstay in the Linux world. With that you can shrink the second partition, create a new partition out of that space, then merge that partition with the primary partition.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
thankyou !!
by ccolekey / May 7, 2007 2:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Partitioning...

I'll try that. I did try and copy and past so now I see where I went wrong.

Thanks so much for the help!

Collapse -
Also I believe....
by mark04276 / May 7, 2007 10:22 PM PDT

you can do this right inside Vista. Go to control panel/administrative tools/computer management on the left click disk management. May take a minute to open but then you will be able to see your partitions. You will have to shrink the second one first then you can expand the c:

Collapse -
I don't think Partitian Magic
by orlbuckeye / May 7, 2007 11:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Also I believe....

is Vista Compatible yet. I don't know if any are Vista compatible. Some partition software covers are misleading also. I saw one but can't remember the name that show on the box that you could create a Vista partitian but it didn't say anywhere that it was Vista compatible so be carefull and research the producr before you buy.

Collapse -
Not in this case...
by John.Wilkinson / May 7, 2007 11:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Also I believe....

Vista does not let you extend a system volume, so C:\ would not be natively expandable. This is done to prevent the possibility of the change, while Windows is running no less, from rendering the system unbootable. It can be circumvented, but is a precaution worth noting.

John

Collapse -
What I just did......... HP Laptop
by mark04276 / May 8, 2007 2:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Not in this case...

I have Vista Ultimate 64-bit

I have also turned off the User Accont Control (did this when I first installed the OS).

1. My first hard drive HAD two partitions. Priamary C:(65)and Logical D:(50 GB).

2. Using Windows Disk Management would NOT allow me to shrink my D:. I could have deleted it though.

3. I used Partition Magic (have Version 8 from Powerquest. It did give warnings during the install and before using it, about know comatibility problems. This was also the same errors I recieved on 32 bit Vista business edition) and resized my D: to 45 GB (down 5GB).

4. Rebooted the computer just in case.

5. Used Windows Disk Management and resized my C: to 70 GB (up 5GB). It resized the partition without even rebooting. I then rebooted just to make sure.

6. Results, Booted up fine

Collapse -
Using your suggestions update on Vista partition
by ccolekey / May 9, 2007 4:07 PM PDT

So here's an update:
I did exactly what John suggested (thankyou very much)
and uninstalled numerous programs and to make sure they were clean I used Uninstaller 2006. Then reinstalled on the 2nd partition.
This freed up 2.75 Gigs on my C drive. Then I used Perfect Disk 8.0 to defrag and polish it off so to speak.

Performance is right back to perfect!

Now I have not used any of the suggested methods of shrinking or expanding the partition because a few seemed unsure if this would work and I read some differing opinions. I do keep reading good things about partition magic but think I'll wait just a bit to get more info.
Thanks alot ya'll !

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.