Windows Vista forum

General discussion

frequent vista shut down and reboot

by b_ring / April 8, 2007 1:30 PM PDT

New HP preloaded with vista home premium keeps randomly shutting down after flashing a blue screen, to quick to read what it says then reboot automatically. This can happen a few seconds after booting up or in the middle of simple tasks(ie playing mp3, web browsing. Very frequent computer rarely goes an hour without crashing
SPECs
AMD Athlon 64 2x
1 GB RAM
integrated graphics

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: frequent vista shut down and reboot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: frequent vista shut down and reboot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: frequent vista shut down and reboot
by stonehkm / April 8, 2007 6:40 PM PDT

In the custom build section of HP's website, they recommend 2gig of memory!
If you are running Vista Premium with Aero/Glass enabled, you need 2gig of RAM and a dedicated video card with 256MB of on board memory.
For a cheap card I run the RX1300PRO with 256MB DDR2 and have no such problems with all the 3D effects turned on as in Aero etc.
Good luck:)

Collapse -
How much shared RAM on your graphics chip?
by Igiveup2 / April 9, 2007 2:56 AM PDT

Less than 128 MB could be fatal.

Collapse -
graphics chip infor
by b_ring / April 9, 2007 7:34 AM PDT

Its an NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE 128MB; up to 319MB (allocated by Windows Vista). Not exactly sure how it allocates more than its size, but that is the description per Best Buy website, its a HP model a1700n

Collapse -
Graphics chip
by stonehkm / April 9, 2007 9:33 AM PDT
In reply to: graphics chip infor

Refer to my previous post. HP recommends minimum 2 gig RAM for Vista Premium and "suggests" a dedicated video card.
Of course, as soon as you break the seal and open the box, HP is off the hook. Your warranty is, to all intents and purposes, gone.
Why don't more people use system builders instead of brand names and custom build their new rig? It's more expensive up front, but you don't need to spend $100s to upgrade a system that is bloated with lousy "free trial" software that you have to spend more on within 90 days or less to keep it working or spend hours trying to delete. And you don't get an O.E.M. disc that does not reinstall all that crap should you crash.
This is not an HP bash or anything like that. A friend just bought a great HP machine, but I will spend a few hours making it "Vista Friendly!" and an additional $250 for real Vista Capable (Aero etc) specs!

Collapse -
thanks
by b_ring / April 9, 2007 11:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Graphics chip

Thanks for the advise. I'll try turning off the graphics features for now and look into upgrading. I understand you point about the custom builds, not really a power user or anything, had been using windows 98 till now so thought this would be be a big step up and meet my needs. Guess i was wrong.

Collapse -
That's plenty of graphics power for Vista.
by Igiveup2 / April 9, 2007 2:56 PM PDT
In reply to: graphics chip infor

128 MB dedicated with 190 MB additional shared is way more than I have on my Intel GMA 950 setup (32 dedicated + 224 shared), which is adequate for Vista. Graphics power does not seem to be your problem.

Collapse -
Re: That's plenty of graphics power for Vista.
by stonehkm / April 9, 2007 7:52 PM PDT

The 6150LE featured on his computer is integrated and has no onboard memory to speak of. It uses shared memory, taking away from the already inadequate 1gig of RAM. If the Aero features etc are run, the computer will not be able to handle it and will crash for it's own protection. I stand by my original post and recommend adding another gig of RAM and a dedicated video card. ATI has demonstrated better compatibility with Vista than nVidia, so I recommended, based on his needs, an ATI RX1300PRO 256MB DDR2 as an inexpensive upgrade. I run Vista Ultimate with it and haven't crashed yet. All Video effects are turned on. I have just installed a Gateway for a friend with the same amount of memory and integrated 6150LE and am waiting for the additional memory and the video vard to arrive from newegg.com.
Good luck.

Collapse -
Careful here.
by Igiveup2 / April 10, 2007 4:40 AM PDT

The RAM load of a shared memory GPU can slow a 1 GB machine down, but blue screen crashes aren't the usual response to this situation. I think this situation needs to be more carefully diagnosed before it's concluded that it is something that can be corrected with a hardware upgrade. It would be unfortunate to send b_ring on an expensive tangent of upgrading hardware if the issue is in fact a malfunction that is covered under warranty. And what position would b_ring be in warranty-wise if he opens his box based on advice from this forum and changes hardware around? We can wave our arms based on our incomplete information (we don't even know the error message from the crash), but somebody else will have to live with the consequences of the decisions they make as a result of advice given in this thread.

Collapse -
Error event logs
by Igiveup2 / April 9, 2007 4:15 PM PDT

They're your best option to find out what your blue screen text means. Search "error event logs" under the help menu and bring some up per instructions. My guess is that you'll have a bunch and that they'll be the same. Capture an example and post it.

Collapse -
HP Rebooting
by bowacl / April 9, 2007 10:39 PM PDT

I am running a system with Areo similar to your specs with out any problems. I think this is a hardware/software incompatibility and you need to either return the computer for exchange if you are with in your 14 day return or contact HP about the issue. You could also try rerunning the original install while you don't have much to back up on the computer as I have found this sometimes clears things up if there is a defect in the factory install.

Although I will probably upgrade my ram and video later on after a few service packs I don't see any need for that at this time, I do word processing, minor graphic editing etc. Keep in mind when vendors are selling you a computer it is a given that they want you to pay more for it.

Hope this helps,
BtheB

Collapse -
(NT) Best advice on this thread.
by Igiveup2 / April 10, 2007 4:46 AM PDT
In reply to: HP Rebooting
Collapse -
nevr shut down
by mario50 / April 13, 2007 10:28 AM PDT

I have window vista ultimate with 2 gb EAM it nevr gave me problems as well gave me windows xp nevr shut down and reboot, the only problem i have ,very seldom,is IE7 ( but I use ENIGMA BROWSER THAT WORKS MUCH BETTER THAN IE7) that stop working and vista shut it down,and the annoyng permission he ask for every think,no upgrading as in win Xp
iI recon vista us much better than XP just some time to take a confidence with the new interface
MY COMPUTER CONFIGUTATION ARE
p4 2.50 MHZ iNTEL
2MB RAM
TWO HDD 150 Gb each one maxtor and Seagate
Mario

Collapse -
That happened to me as well
by maryfunk / April 13, 2007 10:29 AM PDT

I just bought a new HP Pavillion dv9000 with AMD and vista. That was happening within 1 day of getting it out of the box. I returned it and they took it back immediately. They did not tell me what the problem was and the new one works great. I have not had one reboot.

Collapse -
hp pavillion
by mario50 / April 13, 2007 11:00 AM PDT

i am in computer enviroment since 1995 i got my firdt computer with win 95 was a compaq and i started to have trouble since it was out the box, it costed me more for delivery than the maschine,so since that time i use to buld computer for my self,compaq will never tell you why happen that because them staff is completely rubbish.if you have look inside you can easuly see,to build a computer for your self cost less and will have a computer working properly,I do not rust more company as Compaq and Hp they will milk just your wallet,if you got windows vista basic better have XP pro much better for one window vista Ultimate Full edition (OEM) to NEWEGGS you pay just 200 backs and you will have your own and the support from microsoft is excellent after you tell them that the company sold you the SO are not able to fix the problem.
This big company are making billions giving us staff with no the declared value,as soon as i set up vista i had problem with an HP printer for the Drivers after arguing for one week thay told me that the drivers will not be relised ,so they could tell me before,an d for having the right answer i had to pay 45 backs for a technical help,i sent one meail to HP CEO the only answer i received was "we are investigating'it happened in february but till now they stoll investigating (how to get more money from me i think)same problem with my external sond card Creative 2NX but thay was honest after 10 phone call i noticed that no vista drivers will be relise for that hardware
so avoid this xompany as HP COMPAQ DELL and more around
tell you the last happened,In the shopping center close my home (I live in Sydney west)use to stand a dell desk I stopped for ak about a lap top fopr my son (after i got sony)the man there (they was three boy and one girl)was not be able to give me an answer to my questions, i asked if he was trained to?I ma an engineer and i could understand that they was no able to thay spoje just as an user manual ,after 30 min he told me that use the computer just for go in MSN and he did know nothing about as well as his fellow friends there
mario

Collapse -
I had same proble.... HAD problem
by bmfarley / April 13, 2007 1:07 PM PDT

I had the same problem. Shortly after binging my HP dv9600 home I began having frequnr reboots. Sometimes it would happne every 14 to 19 minutes several times a night. Other times... not at all. I thought it was related to the CPU temp... I had no idea until I came here.

dv9600 (9000)
AMD Turion 64 x2
2 gb ram
nvidia 7600

My fix... I removed the pre-loaded virus protection software (forgot name but it starts with an N or S (symetrics?). Anyway, problem vanished.

Now, if I can get my comp to shutdown when I want it too I'll be happy. That's another thing I'll be searching for tonight.

Collapse -
You have a hardware or software malfunction
by breslin / April 14, 2007 12:03 AM PDT

While it is true that 1 gig of memory and/or a video card with shared memory is not the best configuration for running Vista, you should not be getting the blue screen.

The blu screen is most often caused by a memory failure or violation which would indicate that there is a hardware malfunction, a bad driver or (rarely) a very badly behaving application. Since this is a relatively new machine, you should have it replaced or repaired under the warranty.

Collapse -
my problem solved
by b_ring / June 2, 2007 6:37 AM PDT

i solved my problem, it ended up being bad RAM, got a new chip any everything seems to be working good now

Collapse -
(NT) Good Job & Thanks For Posting Back
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 2, 2007 9:47 AM PDT
In reply to: my problem solved
Collapse -
Toshiba Equium with 2GB Supports Your Point
by rkukmedia / February 13, 2008 11:18 AM PST

My family and I have two PCs running Windows Vista each with 2GB Ram, 256MB graphics and both have had the same problem.
1st is our family computer, yes its a Dell but it has 500GB of hard drive as well, the problem has only happened four times since purchased six month ago.
But 2nd is my Toshiba laptop, 80GB hard drive on this one, and to be honest, it had a perfect month since Xmas purchase, but the beginning of Feb has started it all off. 1. This 2. Full screen mode hides start menu (probably fixable) 3. Volume controls on laptop don't work 4. Windows Media Center has no visible mouse so I've to guess when I want to leave sometimes I have no choice but to use ALT and F4.

What Am I Going To Do? Simple. Take it back to Currys (wheir purchased) and buy a MacBook and I'm sure many others with this problem already have!!!

Collapse -
No Volume control peaked my interest.
by memmons / February 22, 2008 5:19 AM PST

After recently reloading Windows Vista to factory settings I installed critical updates identified by the Total Care Advisor. After I did that I noticed that there were 7 non-critical updates available so I installed those as well. As soon as that finished I noticed that I did not have any volume control and indications were that I didn't have an audio device. I tried several things such as loading drivers to no effect. I finally restored to a point a few days earlier (before I installed the updates). Working again. I stay away from any non-critical updates on windows.

Collapse -
Similar problem but mine just crashes forcing a hard reboot
by memmons / February 21, 2008 6:43 AM PST

I got an HP dv9429us for Christmas and have been having similar problems since day one. My HP computer has AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-64 2.2 GHz with 2 Gb RAM using Vista Home Premium. I have an NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150 display adapter. I run my computer 24/7 and unless I manually put this computer to sleep it will generally crash forcing me to hold the power button down for several seconds and then reboot. Sometimes I get the blue screen of death that times out and reboots again. Eventually, I get back up and running. Several times the computer crashes (locks up) while I am using it. There is nothing common about when it crashes. I have called HP and they walked me through a complete reload (quickly pressing F11 just after booting up). Of course I lost everything I had loaded. The computer worked fine for a week and then started crashing again. One person on another tech site suggested useing a cooler table to prevent overheating. That hasn't made any difference. A geek squad guy at Circuit City suggested the hard drive could be defective but I ran an exhaustive drive test and found no problems.

Collapse -
"I run my computer 24/7 and "
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2008 7:00 AM PST

Tell me about the laptop cooling pad you put it on.

Collapse -
cooling table
by memmons / February 22, 2008 5:30 AM PST

It has an Antec logo on the top and it plugs into a USB port on the laptop. It cost $20 or so. I can tell you that the computer does not even feel warm at any time and I run it all the time.

Collapse -
Is there any dodgey software like Ares, Limewire, P2P, etc?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2008 9:26 AM PST
In reply to: cooling table

I usually find that to be an issue. Run that over wifi and your chance of crashing moves to 98%.

Bob

Collapse -
Vista Home edition crashing and rebooting
by greatbossman / July 8, 2014 7:49 PM PDT

I have a Acer laptop on Windows Vista Home Edition crashing and rebooting.

They have a matched pair of memory chips, took one out, the computer ran slower but never crashed. The second chip was the same but the two couldn't seem to operate together for long. Replaced the chips with another matched set. Everything runs smooth.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!