Speakeasy forum

General discussion

French are rudest, most boring people on earth: poll

by EdH / May 21, 2006 1:33 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: French are rudest, most boring people on earth: poll
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: French are rudest, most boring people on earth: poll
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I've been
by duckman / May 21, 2006 1:45 AM PDT

Un-French for my whole life, is the rest of the world finally getting up to speed?

Collapse -
International...
by Dick White / May 21, 2006 2:20 AM PDT

heaven and hell:

In international heaven, the chefs are all French, the lovers are all Italian, the police are all British, and the Germans run the place.

In international hell, the chefs are all British, the lovers are all German, the police are all French, and the Italians run the place.

cheers,
dw

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I've know about the French being rude for years
by tomron / May 21, 2006 2:37 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) What's rude about them?
by Terry Browne / May 21, 2006 3:30 AM PDT
Collapse -
What's rude about them
by tomron / May 21, 2006 5:05 AM PDT

I've read about this,heard people discuss this suject on TV,and there seems to be a consensus regarding this subject.

Also i remember years ago i knew someone who was going to France for vaction and/or business.not sure excactly being some time ago.I told him that they wee going to treat him with disrespect,he replied why,and i told him they don't like americans.He had difficulty beleiveing this.

When he came back to the U.S..he said you were right.

Whats rude about them is that they treat Americans with disrespect for some reason,i don't know why.

Isn't politics something else.We used to be at war with the the ussr,but their citizens had nothing against Americans,while on the other hand France is our allie and their citizens hate us.

Tom

Collapse -
Not just Americans...
by EdH / May 21, 2006 6:37 AM PDT
In reply to: What's rude about them

From what I've heard they treat EVERYONE with disrespect. Never been there but I've heard that from many people and the poll seems to confirm it.

PBS used to have a travel show with an animation by Sempe at the beginning. It depicted a traveller visiting many lands. In the French segment he sits at a table at a sidewalk cafe and the French waiter pulls down a corner of the awning to fill the customer's glass with rain water. Always got a chuckle out of it.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I figured as much
by tomron / May 21, 2006 6:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Not just Americans...
Collapse -
Funny how most people KNOW
by Terry Browne / May 21, 2006 9:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Not just Americans...

somebody else that SAID that. And that they've HEARD that. No first hand experience at all!

I also wonder WHY they treat Americans with disrespect. DId they just all wake up one morning and all started to think "Let's disrespect Americans and be rude to them"? I've been to Paris many times and have traveled a bit in the Bordeaux district and have yet to find anyone that was rude to me.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Musta been your accent. ;-)
by Cindi Haynes / May 22, 2006 12:39 AM PDT
Collapse -
As I said,
by EdH / May 22, 2006 2:25 AM PDT
Not just Americans.

And like I said, I've not been there but know plenty of people (and not just Americans) who have and even a couple who have lived there. Are you suggesting they're all lying?

Is your experience typical do you think?
Collapse -
Not necessarily
by tomron / May 22, 2006 9:37 AM PDT

You say "No first hand experience at all"

Thats not always the case,some things are common knowledge

I don't know where you live,but there are some neighborhoods that you do not walk in at night.If you never walked in these unfriendly areas after sunset,that would state that you have no first hand experience,would'nt now?

Since this is common knowledge you already know that could be a big mistake,even though you have no first hand experience.

Tom

Collapse -
I wonder how the poll would turn out
by Terry Browne / May 21, 2006 3:29 AM PDT

would it be in Canada, Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland, Italy, China, Cuba, Nepal...

Collapse -
the same
by Mark5019 / May 21, 2006 3:35 AM PDT

one thing can be said about the french there surender very politely

Collapse -
I know this won't stop you
by JP Bill / May 21, 2006 3:51 AM PDT
In reply to: the same
Collapse -
1 time the stand
by Mark5019 / May 21, 2006 3:53 AM PDT

99 others they run
willcan you stop trolling?

Collapse -
Am I good or what?
by JP Bill / May 21, 2006 4:02 AM PDT
In reply to: 1 time the stand

I said it wouldn't stop you.

And it didn't.

If 99 were killed you'd say

The other one ran.

Before you say it, I know what you're thinking, so don't waste your time.

Collapse -
I doubt the poll
by Terry Browne / May 21, 2006 4:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Am I good or what?

had to do with their wish to go to war and more about personality... Wink

Collapse -
I agree
by JP Bill / May 21, 2006 4:13 AM PDT
In reply to: I doubt the poll

but some link the war to everything.

Collapse -
well both there personality and there war abilities
by Mark5019 / May 21, 2006 4:21 AM PDT
In reply to: I doubt the poll

leave alot to be desired:)

Collapse -
Which personality trait
by JP Bill / May 21, 2006 4:27 AM PDT

do you think the French would say was "American"?

When is the last "war" that America won "all on its own" with NO help from any other country?

Collapse -
Superior
by Mark5019 / May 21, 2006 4:33 AM PDT

which war 1, 2 was won with out our help?
none,as we know how america had to step in to save europe from the evil axis.
dont you have a library to go to to learn history
america saved the world as usual

and when the countries repay us instead of being dead beats we will
think about lending again

Collapse -
Superior
by JP Bill / May 21, 2006 4:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Superior

The question was

How would the French describe Americans.

Not how YOU would describe Americans.

I know you can't say it, so I'll say it for you.

You didn't win any wars without help from other countries. Unless you count Grenada.

Collapse -
ww2 we saved the world you forget that eh!
by Mark5019 / May 21, 2006 4:47 AM PDT

ww1 same story eh
seems you forget the truth
when alls bad the world runs to america shame
learn history

Collapse -
reply to
by ice_bear_joe / May 21, 2006 4:41 AM PDT

we know how america had to step in to save europe from the evil axis.Pure BS
Read your history to find out why the usa entered the war.
They had no choise.

Collapse -
Well, yes and no...
by EdH / May 21, 2006 4:55 AM PDT
In reply to: reply to

The US had to respond when we were attacked by Japan, so that got us into the Pacific war. But Roosevelt had wanted to enter the war to assist Britain even though teh US was neutral.

When Japan got us in, Germany stupidly declared war on us and we then focussed most of our attention on the fight against Germany, even though it was Japan who attacked us.

Strangely enough we were heavily criticized (and still are)for NOT being involved early enough in a foreign war far from our shores and no one blinked when we waged war against an enemey that never attacked us. My, how times have changed.

Collapse -
Glad to see gwb follows fdr war strategy
by WOODS-HICK / May 21, 2006 8:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Well, yes and no...

the reason IMBO we went towards berlin was: duh,they delared war on us. if it wasn't for the power of britain's navy and raf, not to mention the british channel, and hitler going east; london bridge, again IMBO, would be part of the autobahn. of course the intel on german rockets and heavy water experiments were more of an immediate threat. the atlantic was getting narrower.
even though japan attacked us; they were a more distant threat. without their carriers they couldn't reach our homeland. the balloon bombs were a bust. we did attack the japanese mainland asap. even though our boys didn't have enough fuel to return home. that is dedicated bravery. the breadth of the pacific was our ally. it gave us the time to rebuild the fleet, etc. we had to get our war machine built, greased, and on the move. nothing like a war to redirect industrial priorities.
all americans were involved in the heavy lifting without question. our current cic has never lifted any thing but his silver spoon.

Collapse -
Yes, you can spin it that way....
by EdH / May 21, 2006 9:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Well, yes and no...

but the truth remains that we were attacked by one enemy and focussed our attention on another. The Administration was looking for an excuse to get into the fight with Gerfmany, and that was it. Undisputed fact. If there had been a Michael Moore then ...

The Doolittle raid don't count as a response for any purpose other than propaganda. Which, again, if the press was THEN the way it is NOW would have been derided. That was my point.

...our current cic has never lifted any thing but his silver spoon. is nothing but a gratuitous slam. The same can be said of FDR. He was a child of privilege too after all.

Collapse -
When was the last war that Canada won without help from
by Kiddpeat / May 22, 2006 6:13 AM PDT

any other country?

Collapse -
When was the last war that Canada won without help
by JP Bill / May 22, 2006 9:25 AM PDT

from another country?

Never did, that I know of.

Now, try and get another individual, you know of whom I speak, to make the same statement about the USA.

Bet ya can't

Collapse -
Poor France
by Rolway / May 21, 2006 5:16 AM PDT

A lady bought a new Lexus, and returned the next day, complaining that the radio didn't work.

The salesman explained that the radio was voice activated. "Watch this!" he said..."Nelson!" The radio replied, "Ricky or Willie?"
"Willie!" he continued....and "On The Road Again" came from the speakers.

She drove away happy, and for the next few days, every time she'd say, "Beethoven", she'd get beautiful classical music, and if she said, "Beatles!" she'd get one of theirs.

One day, another driver ran a red light and nearly creamed her new car, but she swerved in time to avoid him.

"AzzHOLE!" she yelled.....

The French National Anthem began to play.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.