Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Freezing when you are hot? is that possible!

by tubaloth / September 11, 2006 2:10 PM PDT

Computer Freezes after it warms up?

So my brothers computer seem to freeze up at some pretty strange times. He has a E-Machine 1.4 MHz Celeron processor. We upgraded the RAM this summer to 384 in RAM. Has Windows XP Home.
They said it started happened after he canceled some big download he was trying to do. I got on the computer the first couple of times and I couldn?t really figure out why it would freeze. Sometimes getting on the internet, sometimes maximizing a windows. Finally it seemed like anytime I tried to stop the Windows Security Center it would freeze. (The computer would also freeze in Safe mode).

I finally decided to just uninstall SP2. My brother had downloaded it from the internet. I wasn?t worried because I have it on CD myself. Rebooted, tried a couple of open and closing windows, seemed to be ok. Left the computer that way, just wrote them a note to see if the problem kept happening.

A day later I called to see what the status was. Found out it doesn?t even turn on? Really nothing came up on the screen. I went over there today and it booted just fine. Probably about 5 mins after it had booted up, it froze for a second, then started to reboot itself (Seeing the bios and so forth). That goes through and then just a black screen (where the Windows XP Home edition would come up).
I turned off the computer, tried to get it to go into safe mode. It would then hang at different spots as it was booting up.
It then seemed like it had to be more hardware then software. So I unplugged it all, and took the cover off. Booted it back up, and it booted into safe mode. Was in safe mode for maybe 3 mins and it froze, had to turn it off.
I checked Ram in different stops. Same thing happen. I didn?t really know what else to test? I thought it was the power supply? Could be the hard drive, but that seems to boot just fine.
So I turned the computer off and left it off for 10 mins. Came back and booted it booted into Safe mode. Started the Starfield screen saver, it was probably on for maybe 2 mins and then the computer froze (probably about 5 mins after it had booted). It seems like something is hanging after it gets to hot? That is the only thing I can think of? The Processor has the fan going, but it is a little dusty? Would that cause it to hang?
I am just stumped on what to do? I really want to get the computer up and running enough to back up some of the files on the computer. Then maybe a reload of XP. But the computer doesn?t stay on long enough to back anything up.
Any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Freezing when you are hot? is that possible!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Freezing when you are hot? is that possible!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
384 in RAM ?
by Papa Echo / September 11, 2006 3:31 PM PDT

Try at least 512.

As for the machine freezing when it is too hot, it will, and it will, too, if it gets too cold. Other things to look out for: viruses, parasites, too many unneeded processes or programs running at start up...

Collapse -
Two items to check
by billzhills / September 11, 2006 11:38 PM PDT

The first is the HDD...
Download the diagnosis utility from Maxtor.

Second, swap out the power supply. Normally vendors provide 250w ps to their units. Over worked, under power these ps fail after 2 to 3 years use .....

Bill

Collapse -
freez up
by Bengi / September 13, 2006 12:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Two items to check

my laptop froze when it got hot. placed two muffon
fans under it, ont on each side. comming in and going
out. idi the trick.

Collapse -
Freeze
by Amos16 / September 12, 2006 3:24 AM PDT

Hi - when you install and uninstall items they often leave lots of junk in the registry. Before doing anything drastic, I would first do a cleanup of same - Hope this helps. Amos.

Collapse -
I Hope this is not the case............
by Trance_Zac / September 13, 2006 6:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Freeze

But older eMachines are well known for Motherboard failures, especially if they have been run hot.
If it's not starting at all right now, look at the Mobo for bulging/leaking capacitors

What model "E" is it??

PS: Also known for inadequate Power Supplies, which loose power over time as PSU capacitors age

Collapse -
Even in BIOS
by tubaloth / September 13, 2006 10:46 AM PDT

So I haven having problems with it. I can't figure it. It seems like about 5 mins into the boot (If I wait overnight, or Just 10 mins). It freezes. I tried to install some Norton check it. But I haven't had it on long enough to run it. So I tried to boot from the XP CD. It doesn't even load all the drives before it freezes (got the Keyboard once). So I decided to just watch it in the BIOS. Sure it enough it froze their too. I have looked at the capacitors and they look fine. (I saw a picture of the bad ones on a couple sites). No bulging that I can see at all. I do kind of wondering if it is the power supply. A couple of times I haven't been able to power the Computer down. I end up having to unplug it. But when I do and try to turn it back on. ONLY the power supply comes back. Nothing comes on the screen. No spinning CPU fan. Nothing. After holding down the Power button long enough, seems to kick things on. But I still have to turn it off and on again to get anything to come on the screen?
I have tried having just one of the RAM sticks in (the 128, or the 256) seems to happen both ways?
I am guessing it is hardware? I was going to try to backup the harddrive and do a reinstall but I don't that well help.
Any other ideas????????????????/

Collapse -
Not Software
by kwkid / September 13, 2006 11:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Even in BIOS

Your statement that the problem occurs even when you are in the BIOS, tells us that it can not be software. Nothing other than the BIOS is loaded. So I certainly wouldn't even attempt to reload at this point. You certainly have some type of hardware problem - power supply, motherboard, etc. and that should be your primary focus. Good Luck.

Collapse -
Strange Strange Strange!!!
by tubaloth / September 13, 2006 4:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Not Software

That is what I'm guessing. I ran tests on the RAM, Processor and Hard drive and they all came back fine. I have tried to get it to freeze a couple more times in the BIOS but no luck. I let it sit for 40 mins and still nothing, rebooted and once it tried to get into safe mode it froze. Would a Power supply do this? I guess I don't completly see how a Power Supply can freeze the computer. The Mother board I can see.

Does anybody know if I can just take the hard drive from this machine (40 GB has XP home on it) and mount it on my XP pro machine. I more just want to copy the files off the hard drive? I would think that is possible with out screwing up the Hard drive to much?
Thanks

Collapse -
About moving the drive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 13, 2006 10:17 PM PDT

Such has been done many times without any problem. Just be sure you follow the rules on IDE connections and jumpers.

Bob

Collapse -
and.....
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 13, 2006 10:29 PM PDT

once you have installed the drive, you may need to "take ownership" before you can access the files.

Guidance here.

Good luck.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?