Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Freezing upon start up? Grif help!!!

by cretin / April 9, 2006 4:54 PM PDT

For the last few months after starting my op system (XP home)only one icon comes up in tool bar space by clock. Then Nothing will work! My only option is shut it down with the restart button on tower. When it reboots it has all comeback except for last night when it took several tries. I also posted question about active X errors but this started way before that! It just seemed to get worse after that.
I haven't written in awhile because things have been going well until this started. Can anyone identify whats happening? I had read on the forums that icons by the clock should be kept to under 5, Does this include all the hidden icons as well? Or just those showing?? It looks like Grif had posted he didn't run his spy programs as active protectors I guess I should turn that part off? Help!!! Steve

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Freezing upon start up? Grif help!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Freezing upon start up? Grif help!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Steve, Can You Start Correctly In Safe Mode?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 10, 2006 2:02 AM PDT

Follow the instructions in the link below and see if it starts in Safe Mode easily.

How To Start In 'Safe Mode'

If it starts safely in Safe Mode, then I recommend disabling the startup of those multiple programs.. While in Safe Mode, click on Start-Run, type "msconfig". When the System Configuration Utility loads, then click on the 'Startup' tab, then UNCHECK the boxes next to all the unnecessary programs including all the spyware removal tools. Once that's done, then restart the computer and see if it loads normally.

As an example of icons in the system tray, I currently have THREE, total.. Speaker icon, McAfee icon, ZoneAlarm icon..

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes.

Grif

Collapse -
a little clarification please
by cretin / April 10, 2006 3:49 PM PDT

THANK YOU BOTH FOR REPLING, IT LOOKS LIKE I GAVE THE IMPRESSION IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME. ACTUALLY IT DOESN'T HAPPEN ALL THE TIME, WHEN IT 1ST HAPPENED IT WAS ONCE EVERY WEEK OR TWO, NOW MORE a little more FREQUENTLY BUT AGAIN STILL LESS THEN when STARTING CORRECTLY. I WILL CHECK OUT THE UI? FOR WHEN IT DOES HAPPEN.
GRIF I'M VERY UNCLEAR IF WHEN YOU SAY YOU HAVE 3 ICONS SHOWING BUT DOES THAT INCLUDE THE HIDDEN ONES? iF IT DOES THEN I HAVE WAY TO MANY. I LEFT MOST OF THE SPYWARE PROTECTIONS ON BECAUSE IT JUST SEEMED LIKE A SAFE THING TO DO. I HAVE SPY WARE BLASTER & GUARD SHOULD THEY BE TURNED OFF AS WELL? When I get some time I will try the process of elimination.
Thanks so much!!!!! Steve

Collapse -
Steve, IN Addition...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 10, 2006 2:05 AM PDT

Temporarily disable all the Norton System Works stuff as well. You don't want to leave it that way for long, but UNCHECK the Norton items in "msconfig" as well while in Safe Mode.. Upon restart, see if the computer loads normally.

If it does, then start RE-CHECKING items, one at a time, till you know which ones causing the issue.

Hope this helps, too.

Grif

Collapse -
Been there Done This
by Minor Tron God / April 10, 2006 2:47 PM PDT

You have a UI (user interface) you may or may not be able to get to. It should be under "start" "Settings"
'Control Panel". Should be maybe not, man I hate XP Love 98, anyway. Try this,Iknow, I know, sounds stupid but it works.

When Booting! Wait untill ( if scan disc runs ) windows starts again and wait untill Busy and Background Icons have flashed and cursor is on screen.
(at this time win is waiting for pgm input.)Push the POWER button, depending on what the UI is set (either PWR Down, or RESET. Yoy will either restart or PWRDWN.
That will work I have to do it all the time because I have a Slow Piece O De Crap, but I've had it so long I Know how to keep it limping along.

Collapse -
Actually, Thinking about it
by Minor Tron God / April 10, 2006 2:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Been there Done This

You might just have Crap in tha Gap. Get a good cleaner and clean the file system then the Disc of @#$%and that could be it. Cleanliness is is as close to anonymity as you can get, Speed is a byproduct.

Collapse -
thanks
by cretin / April 10, 2006 3:54 PM PDT

I do have some good cleaners I believe, Cashe Cleaner, Norton System works, & PC Doc Pro & use them reguarly so maybe its something else?
Thanks again!! Steve
I'll look at the UI thing & see if I can figure out what it is!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?