Speakeasy forum

General discussion

"Freezing Rain" (poem I wrote)

by ILoveEmail / February 15, 2007 8:36 AM PST

(inspired by today's storm and the "Iraq War")

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "Freezing Rain" (poem I wrote)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "Freezing Rain" (poem I wrote)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
to the moderators
by ILoveEmail / February 16, 2007 9:02 AM PST

Dear Moderators:

At the time I posted my poem, I didn't know about the "no politics or religion" rule. Please do not remove my poem, however; the ideas in this poem needed to be said. Thank you.

Collapse -
I don't see anything political
by Steven Haninger / February 16, 2007 9:28 AM PST

as such arguments center around political philosophies and practices of individuals and/or the parties with which they are affiliated and debate their merits or lack thereof.
Now, when one writes poems or prose pieces which come from thought and emotion, it won't be possible for another to conjure up the same vision as anyone else...especially the author. Frankly, I don't get a good feel for what you are trying to convey. I sense frustration from you and condemnation of others for it...specifically leadership which you refer to as "rulers"...if my guess is correct. As for myself, I don't feel myself to be under a ruler and am in no sense a slave to or an unwilling participant in our governmental process. And, though I often have my own frustrations with my sense of our country's direction, I also know that my will is not everyone's will and I cannot always have my way. I have learned not to let that get me down and to enjoy what I have....which, when I look at that, I am blessed. Hopefully your coming days will provide more to be optimistic about than what you have penned. Happy

Collapse -
what I was trying to convey
by ILoveEmail / February 16, 2007 10:15 AM PST

Hi Steve and all,

I wrote this poem during a storm in which w hadfreezing rain. I was trying to convey that the government is keeping our society in an abysmal, anti-human state, and that we must all stand up to create a society in which we all can be fully human. Yes, when I wrote this poem, I was extremely frustrated - and irate. The "frozen pain" refers to the (I'm sure), the thousands of people who are suffering or would like to change things, but are persecuted for speaking their conscience. I agree, Steve, that we should be grateful for what we have, but I also think that we, as a country, could have more, in terms of human rights.

Collapse -
Perhaps you can cite examples of
by Steven Haninger / February 16, 2007 10:38 AM PST

your claim that

"...the government is keeping our society in an abysmal, anti-human state..."

because I get no such sense that our government is a malicious one that does such things. We elect our leadership. You can blame the electorate if you feel they have chosen the wrong leaders. This may include your neighbors. Many throughout the world are not so lucky. They live in daily fear for their lives. Of course in some parts of some cities in the US this may also be true but the fear is not from the government unless you are a wanted villain of some sort. Perhaps in some other countries you sense more freedoms than in ours. Freedom comes with a price. Slavery is free to all who would rather live under it. My two cents.

Collapse -
some examples
by ILoveEmail / February 17, 2007 9:19 AM PST

Here are some examples:

(1) the PATRIOT Act. "PATRIOT" stands for "Providing America with the Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism." I know prosecuting terrorists is important, but this law is one of xenophobic hysteria, and allows federal agents to tap our phones andlook at our email without a warrant. It violates an article in the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights which states that everyone has the right to be protected from "attacks on his [or her] privacy, family and reputation."

(2) the "No Child Left Behind" Act. This keeps our society in an anti-human state by forcing teachers to only "teach to the test." In fact, because of the "No Child Left Behind" Act, a principal canceled recess for his KINDERGARTEN class. Also, this law is severely underfunded. This brings up the questions "What is a law?" and "Who does it really serve?"

(3) the "Iraq War." This is naked aggression which was undeclared in terms of the Constitution, and which was based on a lie to which the White House has already admitted (there were no weapons of mass destruction.) This is keeping us in an anti-human state by squandering the monetary resources which could be used to, say, provide people with universal health care, on tearing Iraq apart based on disinformation. Also, I have a feeling that Bush and Congress don't want to get us out of Iraq.

(4) the government's catastrophic handling of Hurricane Katrina. I think this was racially motivated, as the population was mostly poor and black. And most of the people who were killed or injured were black.

(5) the reckless spending of Congress on pork barrel projects. We are also being taxed without representation, STILL, and this is what the colonists were trying to eradicate during the American Revolution.

There are many more examples that get perpetrated all the time, but I hope this provides a glimpse into what I mean.

And as for blaming the electorate, I do not agree with this. Our system is not an "election" system, it is a "selection"system, because we are given the choices of people to elect, not given room to jhelp make these choices.

Collapse -
Sorry but I must characterize your examples
by Steven Haninger / February 17, 2007 10:18 AM PST
In reply to: some examples

as sounding more like personal opinions than something that can be substantiated by factual data....most notably the Katrina catastrophe. While I cannot link now, there was hard data showing that the majority of victims did not fit the profile that was widely reported. We just too often think accept media stories as fact. They are not. I will not go item by item through your list but non of them, in my estimation, shows evidence of oppression or repression by our government.Most certainly flaws can be found in many actions, programs and laws. This does not mean they are there by design or as acts of malice. Your use of the term "anti-human" is also a strange one to me. I must guess you mean to say "inhumane". I would agree with you or anyone that felt our two major parties left much to be desired in the way of choices but I won't take this discussion into the political arena.

Now, let me give you an example of how powerful the president of the USA is. Have you ever watched him in a press conference fielding questions from media representatives? Have you really paid attention to the questions he is asked and how they are prefaced or phrased? Have you seen any of the one-on-one interviews hes granted with members of the press? Do they not grill him mercilessly with leading questions designed to trap and befuddle? Take those same type of questions and hand them to reporters in such countries as Iraq under Saddam and let those type of questions be asked of those leaders by their own media. I would dare to say that the life expectancy of these folks following the interview could be measured in minutes. Our president has no power to suppress these people's attacks while all would cower under Saddam and those of his ilk.

Nothing new has been entered here and, with this post, I feel it necessary to disengage myself from further discussion on this topic.

Collapse -
Addendum. Ok, I lied. My exit was fraudulent.
by Steven Haninger / February 17, 2007 10:47 AM PST

I need to make one more comment to one of your specific examples. Regarding the "No Child Left Behind" act, you seem to criticize it as a bad program. I presume you mean it should not exist, but, in your next breath you criticize it for being under funded. I would think that, logically, your desire should be that it should not only be under funded but unfunded. This is like telling someone they should never try to microwave a raw egg and then noting they've set the power level too high. Smile and enjoy your life. Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?