Computer Help forum

General discussion

Freezing PC

by dkory22 / July 15, 2005 1:39 AM PDT

Hi everyone! My computer has been having this problem for the last week. I built it in 2001 and have seen no problems like this since then, I'm stumped. About a week ago a file from Norton antivirus disappeared and said that Norton could not run without it. I tried to reinstall it but it could not complete because of a critical error. I finally downloaded symNRT and removed it. Soon after my computer began to freeze up for random intervals. Usually for about a minute or so, but it happened often. I then ordered Mcafee 2005, wrote zeros to my hard drive and did a clean install of Windows XP home. I'm now running again with Mcafee installed and at times, its still freezing up. Not as often but it does happen. When it does happen I cannot get the CD drives to open during, or after the freeze up. Could this somehow be the problem or is it possibly something else?

Thanks,
Dan

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Freezing PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Freezing PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Freezing computer
by secretempire1 / July 15, 2005 1:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Freezing PC

Hello Dan.

I once had a problem similar to this, which happened to combine Norton Anti-Virus and McAffee. I had them both installed which caused a software conflict and my computer froze. I started the computer up in safe mode, which is what I reccomend you do. In case you don't know, safe mode is a way of starting up Windows where only the necessary system processes are started. To start up in safe mode do this...

As your computer is starting up, continually press F8 until you get a menu in DOS format. Then go to the selection Safe Mode (There are 3 choices for Safe Mode, just choose the one labeled ''Safe Mode'') Then you will get a DOS screen asking you to choose your operating system. Assuming you only have one hard drive and one operating system, you will only have one choice. Once you have started in safe mode, you should have no background and all the menus and bars should look similar to the ones from Windows 98. If your computer doesnt freeze, hardware is not the problem. If it does, the problem is in your hardware. Also, try uninstalling McAffee and re-insalling Norton. If installing Norton from the CD fails, download the trial version and enter your license key.

Good luck,
Greg

Collapse -
by dkory22 / July 15, 2005 3:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Freezing computer

I don't know if Norton and Mcafee could be conflicting because it is a clean install but I will look into it. Safe mode is a good idea thanks! It just froze up again and the cd drive would not open. When I forced it to restart(little button on the case) it could not detect the second CD drive. Possibly a driver problem?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!