PC Hardware forum

General discussion

[ Freezing] Gigabyte and MSI graphics Card

by colindarby / February 12, 2006 6:02 PM PST

Having freezing problems with the below [A New assembled Computer tower to my requirements by a recognised computer company [350 miles away??];

Appears to be related to the compatibility of Mother Board and Graphics card installed =
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Gigabyte 915P GA-81915PC Duo Mother board
MSI NVIDIA GEFORCE NX6600-TD 256MB PCIE TVO, DVI Graphics Card
INTEL Pentium 4 530J/ 3.0Ghz 800 FSB 0.09u LAG775/ MB/ Execute Disable [XD]
Windows XP Home [with all updates installed]
Works Suite 2005
Power DVD
Real Player
AVG Free Antivirus
Using Windows Firewall
DSL Broadband
LG 700S Monitor
Plus the normal software installed. [Nothing I had to use to install with the Windows XP Compatibility]
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

[1]
At the moment I have been able to overcome the freezing by experimenting with customisation the NVIDIA 71.89 [this driver is the best found to nearly overcome the Freezing problem.
At the moment I have the "Troubleshoot" Decelerated back to the ".....DirectX....."

[2]
The freezing/computer lockup comes up with;
I am still having freezing problems while Surfing the Internet [about 2 to 4 times a day?]

[3]
Was having a computer freeze/lockup.with
[The below has taken me 6 weeks to achieve the below!]
Viewing a DVD Video with a about half way through . Now with my latest customisation I can now view a complete Video
The PhotoImpact when straightening up a photo and going to crop same [ This seems to fix this = Have altered in = "System Properties " = "Settings" = "Programs" to "Background Services" =]

[4]
Was having freezing problems with Works 8.5 [Works Suite 2005]and with the above seems to be OK?

[4]
Two days ago tried a new Radeon VC- HIS-70000-B18-PCI graphic Card and received the same problems? After this it seems my problem is not related to the Graphics Card?

[5]
Now the question is are the above Mother Board and Graphics card compatible or could it be Voltage/Wattage related, Can the Gigabyte BOIOS be modified???
Is it DirectX related?
Note; = I am not having any problems at all with any of my other installed programs!

Any Suggestion to where I go to find help?

Colin
[Australia]

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: [ Freezing] Gigabyte and MSI graphics Card
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: [ Freezing] Gigabyte and MSI graphics Card
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
heat issue?
by nerdyboy1234 / February 13, 2006 10:38 AM PST

motherboard problem?

Collapse -
Thanks [Was a Heat Problem]
by colindarby / February 19, 2006 5:06 AM PST
In reply to: heat issue?

Thanks for your reply!

You mentioned the ''Heat Possibility''
Yes, over the weekend I had time to check on same, so I removed the side from the computer and used a household desktop fan to blow cool air over within the computer. Set the Graphics Card ''Acceleration'' to maximum!
Yes the DVD played all the way through!!!
On further investigation found the extendable vent tube in carrier transport [350 miles] must have rattled/unlocked/closed/shortened the extension. I measured the extension to the appropriate length and used insulation tape to lock same in position.
Refitted the cover and , yes, played the DVD all OK

Many thanks
Col
[Australia]

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!