Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Freezing Computer (only Mouse and Keyboard).

by jdmucha / May 3, 2006 2:21 PM PDT

Hello!
My Windows is having a freeze problem after Welcome Screen. Let me explain better.

When I turn on my pc, my windowsxp works perfectly. But, after I restart my windows, my keyboard and my mouse stop work. I know that only the mouse and the keyboard freezes because the clock and the "hiding icons" features works perfectly. Then, I have to press the reset button on my CPU, and now my mouse and my keyboard are working. But... if I reboot again my computer, this freezing problem will appear again.

""
1.Normal Start
2.Keyboard and Mouse Freezed
3.Normal Start
4.Keyboard and Mouse Freezed
""

I have tried many things, reinstall mouse and keyboard, install new drivers for my motherboard, remove some programs, but I cannot fix this problem. Until this moment I really have no idea whats going on with my windows. And now Im calling my friends of CNet to help me, "giving me a light".

(Unfortunately I cannot remember since when I have this problem and then I cant have a clue why its happening.)

Thanks for sharing your attention and sorry for this "simple" english.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Freezing Computer (only Mouse and Keyboard).
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Freezing Computer (only Mouse and Keyboard).
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Next steps
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 3, 2006 6:42 PM PDT

Hi Deposito. Your English is fine by the way, Happy

You haven't said what type of keyboard and mouse you use. Are they wireless, or usb?

If wireless, see if new batteries make a difference. Make sure the wireless transmitter is plugged in properly.

If USB, plug the keyboard and mouse into different USB ports.

Otherwise, get another keyboard and mouse, (ask a friend if you don't have any spare ones), and try them.

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
Im going try...
by jdmucha / May 3, 2006 10:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Next steps

Hey Mark!

I use a normal keyboard and mouse (they are not usb, they are serial,(is it?), older than usb keyb/mouse).

Well, when I go back to my home I going to try your idea. I already asked a friend and he told me that he would "share" with me his keyboard and mouse.
I hope it fix my problem, but I still think that my problem is very strange/wierd. I cannot imagine why its happening, why I start the computer, they work perfectly, reboot my machine and they get freezed. If would be a "real" problem, this "freeze thing" would happen all the time. This is my thought.

Collapse -
Good luck
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 4, 2006 4:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Im going try...

These things happen, (although perhaps not both the keyboard and mouse at the same time), so swapping over is a good elimination test.

If you swap them over and you "still" get the freezes, then you know it's not the mouse/keyboard but is something else.

Mark

Collapse -
It could be the PS2 port
by rbtcnd / May 4, 2006 10:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Good luck

The serial port you're refering is the PSP Port connection, the ones that has the purple and green color. Try what others have said. If all else fails then it's probably the ps2 ports that has some issues. If thats the case then i would advise you to have your motherboard be checked for any damages, if worse comes to worst then you'll probably have to replace it. If you don't have any ready cash for replacing it in case it is damaged, the try looking for a keyboard and mouse that has a USB connection instead of the usual ps2 port or you can look for an adapter designed for mouse and keyboards that uses the ps2 port that can be used to connect it to a functioning USB port.

Collapse -
Oh! I fixed it!
by jdmucha / May 4, 2006 12:37 PM PDT

Yes! A happy ending.

Guys, thanks for all your support.
My problem now is fixed!
Yes, as you see Im happy but also ashamed. Yes... the solution was so simple... I looked all around the net without results. And the solution was so simple... I was expecting someting so hard...

As I wrote today, when I come back to my house I would try... So I did it... But instead change the keyboard and the mouse, first I tried (i dont know why) change the position "cables head". I changed the mouse and the keyboard on the "CPU?s back". And, damn, It worked!!! If my english isnt too clear yet: the mouse was in the left side (in my left side) and the keyboard in the right side on the motherboard, then I inverted them and... worked...

Big problem simple solution, Im felling like a donkey... well, feeling a donkey or not, I have to say a big thank for you guys (especially to Mark). If him wasnt told me to do that, I never would fix the problem.

Collapse -
Good for you.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 4, 2006 6:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Oh! I fixed it!

I'm a little surprised it was so easy, but, there you go. It works and that's great.

Thanks for reporting back.

Mark

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!