General discussion

Freezing Computer / Network Disconnect

I have Windows 2000 NT

My computer freezez on the spot. So far, only when I'm in the process of doing something: Opening Internet Explorer, or another browser, Opening Outlook Express, Clicking on a shockwave flash thing, clicking on a file in winamp. The screen freezes, I loose all control from mouse and keyboard, Control Alt Delete doesn't work, nor does escape, or any random key I happen to press. I've tried leaving the computer alone for a while and coming back to it, finding it still to be frozen. I end up Rebooting every time.

When I reboot, the computer scans both of my disk drives, and once windows starts, it does not detect my network connection. (I am connected to a router hooked up to a cable modem.) I then reboot once more and my internet connection is back.

I've scanned my disk for viruses and spyware, i have the latest definition files and windows updates... what do I do now?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Freezing Computer / Network Disconnect
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Freezing Computer / Network Disconnect
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
EC, Some Things To Do...

First, because the freezing problem could be related to "heat" issues, remove the cover of the computer and use some canned air to blow out the dust and junk from the fans and motherboard. Point a housefan at the computer inards and run the computer that way for a while..Does it help?

What size power supply do you have and what type of hardware is installed? If you're like most, you have lots of RAM, a couple of CD drives, a big hard drive and a fast processor......with a little tiny power supply. A new, larger power supply, in the 400 watt range can usually help.

Have you installed the later drivers for video, audio, etc.?

Next, install the "msconfig.exe" file from a Windows XP computer using the instructions in the link below:

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6121-0.html?forumID=45&threadID=22053&messageID=400116

After that, follow the procedures in BOTH of the links below to shut down unnecessary start up programs and unnecessary files that might be causing conflicts on the computer:

CNET Computer Cleanup Links
For Windows 2000/XP, ignore the first couple of sentences about checking "resources" in the link below but follow the rest of the procedures including the "Services" links at the bottom.

How To Shut Down Unnecessary Start Up Programs

How To Clean Unwanted Files From The Hard Drive

After following all the procedures above, run Error Checking/Chkdsk and Defrag to optimize the hard drive:

How To Run 'Error Checking/Chkdsk' On Win2000/XP

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Freezes

In addition to Grif's excellent advice, while you have the case opened, do a visual inspection of the mainboard. Specifically look for physical signs of damage, burns, bulging or domed top capacitors. I'm experiencing the same problems with a machine and it appears that the capacitors are failing.
Best of Luck

CNET Forums

Forum Info